+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Normal to get turned away b/c too much hair?

Hi everyone,

I've been slowly losing my hair since my mid-twenties (now in my early thirties). I've been on Propecia for about a year, and the hair-loss seems to have stabilized.

Having said that, my hair is a lot thinner than I'd like it to be, and my biggest trouble areas currently my peaks and receding hairline, so I've decided to go the transplant route.

I've been to almost a dozen consultations. Of all the consultations, only one doctor was hesitant to take me on, pretty much saying I have too much hair, and by doing the transplant I would essentially be damaging about as many of my current hairs as he would be implanting, thereby creating no gains from the procedure. The doctors I have seen have recommended between 1800-2600 grafts for the first procedure.

I understand there is such a thing as shock loss, but my question is approximately what percentage of my natural hair should I expect to be permanently and prematurely damaged, and fall out sooner than it would have without the procedure?

Pictures...

I purposely didn't upload pictures, b/c it shouldn't matter relative to what I am asking.

Is it possible for my existing hair to fall out PERMANENTLY rather quickly after the procedure due to shock loss or something else?

It seems it can be temporary but is it actually possible to be permanent?

Of course it is...The risk of damaging surrounding hair follicules and/or severe their blood supply is real...

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    Of course it is...The risk of damaging surrounding hair follicules and/or severe their blood supply is real...
    ok, so really every doctor should have told me that!

I guess the question still lies, what percentage is actually damaged? I can deal with a few hairs leaving in exchange for a lot more.

Hence my first comment, pictures. More hair more risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    Hence my first comment, pictures. More hair more risk.
    Ok, so the more hair, the more the risk.

Still...

What confuses me is that if one goes back for a 2nd or 3rd procedure, they should have a decent amount of hair b.c of several procedures.

Would the 3rd procedure also cause permanent loss to the 1st or 2nd transplanted hair?

Or is this really only a concern for native hair?

It's always a concern but with a HT you never get much more than 50% of normal density so it's easier to avoid. Besides subsequent procedures are usually on other areas or only a slight density increase on a previously grafted area.

It is true that you could lose some native hair due to permanent shockloss, but I understand why Louish asked for photos because it very much depends on how much native hair still remains in the area being treated. It also partly depends on how 'strong' that hair is. Often, hair in the balding area is miniaturizing and weaker than donor hair (or hair that is weaker than in an individual who isn't experiencing hairloss) and that hair can be permanently lost. But not always. Depending on how much hair you have left in the recipient area, the surgeons you have spoken with might be working on the assumption that it will be lost. This isn't surgeons playing games with your native hair, it is them planning the surgery with those weaker hairs in mind and wanting to leave you with dense, even coverage.

Transplanted hair from the donor area will be stronger than the hairs in question, so if you have multiple procedures the hairs that were already transplanted in the vast majority of cases are not permanently lost.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Oh, and I should add that if you have been turned away, then that is never a bad thing. It's possible that the surgeon that rejected you wasn't up to the task, or perhaps they thought it was in your best interests to wait. Either way, it isn't a bad thing.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com