+ Reply to Thread

Default 16... Hair thinning

Okay, so as the title says i'm 16 turning 17 in a few weeks. Throughout the year, i've notice my hair thinning a lot. The hairs on the top of my scalp are really thin. My dad's bald. It sucks, my scalp is extremely noticeable when i'm out in the sun, I know one of my friend's has noticed, but he hasn't said anything, it sucks. At the moment its not so bad, but I still have a year of school left... I don't want to go bald, or at least my hair to thin more than it already is. I doubt I should being using rogaine or minxodill as I'm still pretty young and growing. I'm not obese or overweight, but i do have a bit of excess fat that is not needed. I probably have a higher cholesterol than someone my age should have. The reason I mention this is because I read somewhere that a high cholesterol increases the DHT production, something like that. I also read that drinking green tea, due to the caffeine slows DHT production, is this true?.

I really want to stop it from thinning anymore, is there anyway that I can do this naturally? Like cleaning up my diet, exercising( My fitness is horrible). Yeah, it just really sucks. I don't feel comfortable talking about it with my family or best friend. I just need some people to talk to about this.

Get on a micro dose .1 - .2 of Finesteride. .2 is ceiling. You will be happy. What hair color/ skin type are you?

Next: Vitamins, start taking biotin, great stuff. Do you exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by txglable View Post
    Okay, so as the title says i'm 16 turning 17 in a few weeks. Throughout the year, i've notice my hair thinning a lot. The hairs on the top of my scalp are really thin. My dad's bald.
    Well that is tough. Your dad went bald early?

I doubt I should being using rogaine or minxodill
    I would never recommend drugs, and I think it is the duty of anyone wanting you to take anything to provide information, especially when you are this young - You really need to look for the information out there.

Minxodill seems to be a "short term" drug. When you lose hair, the next hair to take it's place will be thinner and fall out quicker - minoxidil
    will cause you to shed hair faster in the early stages, it does come back thicker. But you will have to apply it twice a day...forever. Once you stop you will lost a lot more hair than what you had prior. It is probably that it starts to lose it's effect after 1-2 years as well.

It will irritate your skin, dry it out, can cause wrinkles.

I am not trying to be bias - but when I see someone talking about taking something, I want to make sure they know the side effects. Wikipedia states rogaine refer to minoxidil, so these are the same?

I probably have a higher cholesterol than someone my age should have. The reason I mention this is because I read somewhere that a high cholesterol increases the DHT production, something like that. I also read that drinking green tea, due to the caffeine slows DHT production, is this true?.

I really want to stop it from thinning anymore, is there anyway that I can do this naturally? Like cleaning up my diet, exercising( My fitness is horrible). Yeah, it just really sucks. I don't feel comfortable talking about it with my family or best friend. I just need some people to talk to about this.
    If you think you have high cholesterol, all it takes is a simple blood test - I am very skeptic to drinking green tea, with the goal being to lower your DHT enough to combat hair loss. I have never heard of it.

There is no natural way to stop your genetics from shedding your own hair, if it is in your genes. Cleaning your diet, exercising ... it will be good for your overall health, but it wont help you with this problem.

You have the option of
    1) Drugs that reduce DHT -> These can cause you permanent, irreversible impotence. I have heard of cases with permanent side effects after just one pill. Leaving impotence out, it is linked with reducing sexual appetite. I am not trying to scare you but share what I know. Several on this forum seem to just name drugs without addressing their side effects. Look around on the net.

2) Hair transplants these are expensive, and if you are balding all over you are likely to not have enough hairs to cover everything or at the cost of density.

3) Hair system, these are really not socially accepted and very costly in the long run.

Is finasteride ever prescribed in people under 18? I don't know.

In any case, finasteride has an excellent safety profile that you can look up. Just completely avoid any internet forum or YouTube anecdotes.

Yes finesteride is very good and healthy. It reduces your chance of prostate cancer by, I forget the number but it helps a ton! It also is healthy for your bladder. It prevents wrinkles and stretching of your bladder which makes it hard to pee. I notice at 27 years old I cant pee as quickly compared to when I was 15 and masterbating 5 times a day and could pee in 1 second. These days I have to stand around for a good 30 seconds and think about a waterfall before I pee.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I started noticing my hair thinning a little when I was 16. My father and my mother's father were bald. If I were 16 in 2014, I would exercise a lot, drink coffee (studies show it helps hair growth a little), Use Nizoral shampoo once per week and alternate with Nioxin and Hair Cycle shampoo (extends the Anagen phase). I would definitely buy a three-pack of Rogaine foam, massage my scalp and do scalp exercises and consider taking very small doses of finasteride if a doctor will prescribe at such a young age. Consider using a derma roller several hours before applying minoxidil to increase absorption.

Avoid sunburn, excessive stress and cigarettes as much as possible. The future looks much brighter for guys 16 in 2014 than during my teens when there were zero known effective treatments. Hang in there.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck