+ Reply to Thread

Default Help Regarding Hair transplant

hello.. i am at nw2-3 and my age is 23. using minoxin 5% and vitamins tablets.
    Yesterday i met hair transplant surgeon . He said that he can transplant hair on the front to restore hair line. And need more surgery after passing of time due to more hair loss. He said i have good donor hairs. He said me may proceed to nw4-5 in future.
    Now my question is that..me should go for transplant or not at 23 years of age. What is the best age or time for hair transplant for me ?? plz advice..

The question right now should be, "What are you doing medicinally to slow down your hairloss?" Are you on Propecia? Did the doctor mention that?

If the doctor feels that you have lots more hairloss in the future, did he prescribe Propecia for you to get started? Then waiting one year to see if your hairloss stabilizes? At this point in the process, why in the world would he want you to have surgery, NOW?

If you are losing that much hair at 23, it started much earlier and chances are, you may very well have lots more hairloss, "if you do not get on Propecia or other form of low dose finasteride."

I see you are using minoxidil and vitamins? Have you tried finasteride?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    The question right now should be, "What are you doing medicinally to slow down your hairloss?" Are you on Propecia? Did the doctor mention that?

If the doctor feels that you have lots more hairloss in the future, did he prescribe Propecia for you to get started? Then waiting one year to see if your hairloss stabilizes? At this point in the process, why in the world would he want you to have surgery, NOW?

If you are losing that much hair at 23, it started much earlier and chances are, you may very well have lots more hairloss, "if you do not get on Propecia or other form of low dose finasteride."

I see you are using minoxidil and vitamins? Have you tried finasteride?
    i started again minoxin 5% and vitamin tablet surbex-z. Doctor prescribe me propecia 1 mg. But i did not use it due to side effects. Now i am thinking to use it (in half 0.5mg). is it ok ?

I asked the doctor that can i have surgery ? He said yes i can perform surgery on front to restore hairline and said that u will need more hair transplants after passing of time.

I said to Dr that i want to delay hair transplant for 1 or 2 years. And want to use hairs systems for 1 or 2 years. He said hair system will not cause more hair loss. We use glue to attach hair system.

But i am not convinced by his answer regarding hair system and hair loss. B coz i read on blogs that hair system cause more hair loss due to traction. Then Dr said may b after 1 or 2 years stem cell or cloning treatment comes out.

I am confused about the Dr too.

hairwanted,

Listen my friend. Do not panic and decide to have a ht right now. You have lots of time to do more research, both on the dynamics of the procedure and also the doctors. By dynamics I mean every person losing their hair needs to fully understand the type of hairloss they have and then what are the implications (benefits and risks) to both hairloss meds and hair restoration surgery.

It sounds like you are "concerned" about the "potential" side-effects yet you have not tried Propecia (finasteride) yet right? Most men do not get side-effects. Yet some "think" themselves into believing they will have the side-effects. Most men suffering from MPB find the proper balance of finasteride of 1mg daily as prescribed without any side-effects whatsoever. We as lay people CANNOT give you mecial advice about taking lower doses or infrequent doses, only a licensed physician can give that advice. But no doubt you probably have heard there are many reputable HT docs who can potentially adjust the dosage for you in case you did experience side-effects. And you may also have heard of some guys having side-effects initially but eventually going away.

Listen friend, many of us vets have been through just about everything trying to resolve our hairloss dilemma. I wore hair systems with Hair Club for Men (HCM) for 11 years before I did my first HT in 1996. Extensive use of hair systems can in fact cause additional loss. It did with me. But after my first HT in the frontal zone, I noticed that some of the natural hair started growing back although most of it was thinned out from DHT. It believe the areas covered by the hair system template were deprived from oxygen and HCM did use an adhesive product they called "poly-fuse" which they spread on the bead of the template and then adhered the system to my head. They then squeezed out the air bubbles from all around the edges. They had me and any other client using polyfuse to sign a disclaimer on the product just in case you were one of those who had an adverse effect from the glue. I never did.

I just regretted having to go in every 30-45 days getting the existing system pulled off and my back up system glued back on. The old system goes back to their "shop" for hair adds and coloring if needed. It gets very expensive. Don't be fooled thinking you will only need one systen unless you go with the "disposable" hair systems. BUT VERY EXPENSIVE.

Keep doing your homework. After you research the pros and cons to everything, you will know what is right for you. After securing enough knowledge, you will also know what questions to ask prospective doctors in the consultation. KEEP READING!

Best wishes to you...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin