+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 15% Minox

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    Just apply more 5% which is cheaper anyway........................................

not even required....
    Hey KeepTheHair does that work? I dont see why it wouldnt. Would you apply it all at once or different times during the day? Thanks

jayth,

5% Minoxidil used twice per day as directed by the manufacturer is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jayth View Post
    Once they stopped selling it everybody that still had some put it back on e-bay at double the price. Little do they know they are selling crap. Someone will buy it though. Let me know if you find a source for 15%.

I wonder why Rogaine brand has not jumped on the bandwagon and made at least a 10% solution. It may be because they no 15% does'nt work any better than 5%. Who knows?
    Does it mean that you had bad experience with these above mentioned products? Frankly, I don't trust anything and anybody except the generic Kirkland brand. A switch to some dubious brand could be fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by bryceverest View Post
    The FDA jumped in to block sale of 15% Minoxidil in this country only...go USA!
    The FDA had darn good reason to do so. 5% is all that is really needed. Anything above that increases the chances of experiencing negative side effects. If you are going to use such a high percentage of this medication, you need to be under a doctor's supervision. You can have your doctor write a script for a higher percentage blend then take the script to a compounding pharmacy to have it made. It's not hard to do that but you do need to talk to your doctor about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    The FDA had darn good reason to do so. 5% is all that is really needed. Anything above that increases the chances of experiencing negative side effects. If you are going to use such a high percentage of this medication, you need to be under a doctor's supervision. You can have your doctor write a script for a higher percentage blend then take the script to a compounding pharmacy to have it made. It's not hard to do that but you do need to talk to your doctor about it.
    It seems that nothing will convince you, Tracy. The use of higher minoxidil strengths obviously helped a lot of people. The 5% version is actually still only experimental, and I think that in late 90's, they couldn't make higher strengths mainly because of problems with dissolution.

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    It seems that nothing will convince you.
    There is no reason for you or anyone else to feel that I need to be convinced. I am not a decision maker in the process. I only know and understand why the rules are what they are - but I had nothing to do with making them. If the OP wants to use a higher percentage blend than 5%, his most reliable means to get it is through his doctor and a compounding pharmacy. Any grey market source he finds will eventually be shut down. Then he will have to find another, then another when that one gets shut down, then yet another when that one gets shut down. This is not going to end anytime soon. So you need do the best you can with what reliable resources are available. The most reliable and hassle free blend of Minoxidil to get is 5%. If you want stronger than that, work with your doctor.

its impossible for me to use minox twice a day, because my hair is so short and it leaves a visible residue. is 5% once a day not very useful?

The orthodox advice is: If you experience side effects from 5% minoxidil, you should, of course, discontinue use. In particular, you should not use if you have had a heart attack or have a 'heart condition'. You might also note that the vast majority of scalp allergies to minoxidil are in fact allergies to the propylene glycol included in many minoxidil formulations.

Assuming you experience no side effects from 5% minoxidil, here is Richard Lee's view of higher % minox.

SIDE EFFECTS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS
    Q. What is the margin of safety from having systemic effects due to minoxidil when dosing with *******15 daily?

A. Minoxidil requires a serum concentration of 20 ng/mL to have any hemodynamic or other systemic effect in the human body. Allowing for the average 1.4% absorption (range 0.3 - 4.5%) of minoxidil from the topical application of 1 mL of *******15,
    there will be a serum concentration of minoxidil of ~4 ng / mL of minoxidil in the serum. So, there is an estimated 5-fold safety margin from any systemic effects of minoxidil due to the use of *******15, when it is used once/day. For optimal results, it is suggested that topical minoxidil be applied twice/day. One dose should be 1mL *******15 and the second dose, at least 8 hours apart, should be 1mL of the lower concentration ******* 5% or 5% Minoxidil . . .
    Our incidence of having any systemic side effects with the ******* 12.5% Lotion is less than 1 patient per 1500.

This is the view of an acknowledged expert in the field with extensive experience (who was also a businessman). I would like to have the view of other experts in the field with extensive experience.

Quote Originally Posted by neversaynever View Post
    its impossible for me to use minox twice a day, because my hair is so short and it leaves a visible residue. is 5% once a day not very useful?
    Many doctors have stated that using it one a day is enough to gain some benefit - and better than not using it at all if you need it.

I use the foam in the mornings. The foam is very stealthy. It is impossible to tell that I have the foam on my scalp.

Quote Originally Posted by *******user View Post
    I would like to have the view of other experts in the field with extensive experience.
    Fussing over this the way you do is never going to do you any good. It is not going to make high percentage blends more available or easier to get. You need to be under a doctors supervision if you are going to use a blend higher than 5%. If you want to use a blend higher than 5%, go to your doctor and ask for a script. Then go to a compounding pharmacy to have it made.