+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New treatments could come from another angle altogether

Why can't we transplant hair like we transplant organs?

was talking to my friend the other day and to my amusement she thought that a hair transplant was from someone elses hair!

after lololing hard it later occurred to me that this wouldnt be so bad. If you weren't bothered by having someone elses hair follicles in your scalp then why not? I did some research and very quickly found that organ transplants, as much as they seem awesome, come with the draw back of possible rejection and/or side effects to the anti rejection drugs.

Then i remembered this story in the news recently.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22808856.../#.T6X1PutSS8A

now i know its still probably with some risks but, but the point is with organ transplant technology improving so fast transplanting another persons hair follicles might become a risk free, piece of cake quiker than any of these fail companys deliver a cure.

You'd be on antirejection drugs the rest of your life

No ethical doctor would ever allograft hair, which is not a vital organ

Quote Originally Posted by tonypizza View Post
    You'd be on antirejection drugs the rest of your life

No ethical doctor would ever allograft hair, which is not a vital organ
    you've missed the point.

you need drugs for the rest of your life at the moment so its not worth it/ unethical.

soon it may be a risk free procedure

You wouldn't go on antirejection drugs for cosmetic reasons. But if you're in the market for a kidney, ask what the doner's hair is like.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsreef View Post
    You wouldn't go on antirejection drugs for cosmetic reasons. But if you're in the market for a kidney, ask what the doner's hair is like.

YES... LET'S RE-ESTABLISH WHAT I HAVE ALREADY SAID. I KNOW ANTI REJECTION DRUGS AND OTHER RISKS IS WHATS STOPPING IT BEING VIABLE NOW! LEARN TO READ.

but my point is that researchers are trying to eliminate the risks from organ donation and one day in the not to distant future im sure they will, then hair transplanted from someone else could be an option

Quote Originally Posted by jman91 View Post
    now i know its still probably with some risks
    That's putting it mildly. As the article says:

"The treatment involved weakening the patient's immune system, then giving the recipient bone marrow from the person who donated the organ."

That is a very serious business. So in order to do what you propose you would have to:

1. Find someone who is happy to donate not only their follicles but their bone marrow!
    2. Go on immunosuppressant drugs to weaken your immune system
    3. Get your scalp cut up WHILE ON IMMUNOSUPPRESSANT DRUGS (see a potential problem there?)
    4. Get a bone marrow injection
    5. Stay on the drugs for a while (weeks/months?) while the bone marrow does its thing
    6. Pray it actually works

It might be worth the risk for a life threatening condition like kidney failure but I don't think you'll find any doctor who would perform such a process for balding.

All that said... Jahoda actually showed in 1990 that dermal sheath cells can be transplanted to another person without rejection. He grew one of his hairs on his wife's arm. So in that sense you could, theoretically, extract a follicle with FUE from a non-balding person, dissect it to get the sheath cells out, and implant them into bald scalp. You wouldn't get rejection and in theory you would grow hair that would have the other person's DNA mixed with your own.

The problem is you could only really do it one follicle at a time and to dissect every follicle would take too much time. You also can't control the direction of growth.

Hence why they started trying to just dissect a few follicles to get the cells and then multiply them to produce many millions of cells.

And then the argument is you don't even need to use another person's hair, you can use your own. And bingo, you have Aderans/Replicel.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the multiplied cells lose the ability to induce hair growth, which is why we're more than two decades on and still don't have a cure. That is one of the biggest barriers facing Aderans and Replicel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post

this alone will probably regrow all of your hair!

Im getting my hair follicles from john stamos than lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    That's putting it mildly. As the article says:

"The treatment involved weakening the patient's immune system, then giving the recipient bone marrow from the person who donated the organ."

That is a very serious business. So in order to do what you propose you would have to:

1. Find someone who is happy to donate not only their follicles but their bone marrow!
    3. Get your scalp cut up WHILE ON IMMUNOSUPPRESSANT DRUGS (see a potential problem there?)
    4. Get a bone marrow injection
    5. Stay on the drugs for a while (weeks/months?) while the bone marrow does its thing
    6. Pray it actually works

It might be worth the risk for a life threatening condition like kidney failure but I don't think you'll find any doctor who would perform such a process for balding.

All that said... Jahoda actually showed in 1990 that dermal sheath cells can be transplanted to another person without rejection. He grew one of his hairs on his wife's arm. So in that sense you could, theoretically, extract a follicle with FUE from a non-balding person, dissect it to get the sheath cells out, and implant them into bald scalp. You wouldn't get rejection and in theory you would grow hair that would have the other person's DNA mixed with your own.

The problem is you could only really do it one follicle at a time and to dissect every follicle would take too much time. You also can't control the direction of growth.

Hence why they started trying to just dissect a few follicles to get the cells and then multiply them to produce many millions of cells.

And then the argument is you don't even need to use another person's hair, you can use your own. And bingo, you have Aderans/Replicel.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the multiplied cells lose the ability to induce hair growth, which is why we're more than two decades on and still don't have a cure. That is one of the biggest barriers facing Aderans and Replicel.
    Other than hair docs, I have got the impression that docs in general do not consider mpb to be a legitimate medical problem. My primary has basically said that it is normal for men to gradually become bald and that it is expected and nothing to worry about. And I know she really means it because she had not tried to stop her fiance's expanding crown. If I pushed it I am sure she would give me FIN but would also think I was silly and vain for worrying about it.

And yea the immunosuppressant drugs are dangerous stuff. An old GF had to have a transplant. It bought her 3 more years of life but eventually the drugs let her get sick and it unfortunately went downhill from there. They are a last resort thing and NOT for vanity issues.

Transplanting hair follicles from one person to another is not a good idea. The definate risks far outweigh the possible benefits.