+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default FUE v FUT - fresh thoughts

I had some new thoughts about the FUE v FUT debate, particularly relevant to anyone considering a hair transplant where cost and achieving a good hairline are significant factors in their decision.

Option 1:

Let's say you go for FUT with one of the more established doctors, simply because you can't afford their FUE.

The worst case scenario: you end up with a terrible scar that you need to either FUE or SMP in to. It's a scary prospect in my opinion, and not one anyone can just dismiss.

Option 2:

You go for FUE with one of the "cheaper" doctors, (in Europe for example).

The worst case scenario: your hairline isn't as good as you'd hoped but you should at least have achieved some density in the balding areas. All you'd need to do in that situation is go back for further FUE with a "better" surgeon, and it shouldn't be nearly as expensive.

I'm leaning towards Option 2 myself right now. I just can't stop worrying about getting a terrible scar if I get FUT, and I don't want to limit my styling options. The whole point of surgery is to expand them.

I am consulting with more doctors now with this in mind. I haven't named any doctors, but I'm happy to open up the conversation to suggestions.

Chrisis I know we say that FUE has lower yield but I know in your case that you also like to keep your sides and back very short so that's a serious consideration.

With FUT once you're cut that scar is there for good while good FUE with smallish extraction sites does give you an out.

Of course there is probably more donor available with FUT than FUE so that is another consideration.

I know Spex feels strongly that FUT is the way to go for the vast majority of patients and maybe it is, but it's not ideal for all. Granted he has a Bosley scar and Dr. Feller's closures are far superior but he's gone to some length himself to repair it. I also recall that his own repair from Dr. F was with FUE. I know Spex has seen loads of failed FUE megasessions in person so I'm not at all disregarding his advice but just offering my layman's perspective.

Even if someone is headed towards norwood 6 I can see an argument for tapping into FUE and maybe realising that the crown can't be fully tackled.

Both have pros and cons and both carry different risks.

Still Researching has at a total FUE donor of something like 9000 so for some it is possible. I know his result is the kind you're looking for so maybe Dr. Feriduni might be a consideration.

I'm not pro FUE or pro FUT. I'm still trying to figure this all out myself and I go back and forth on what's the best plan of attack. H&W, Feller, Rahal, Feriduni, Shapiro bros are all great and having never had a HT I don't want to seem biased towards one.

FUE imho.

10char

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    FUE imho.

10char
    Any docs you favour for this? Particularly European?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Any docs you favour for this? Particularly European?
    Feriduni....

I saw some Dr Keser (Turkey) results on an Italian forum and was pretty blown away... If they are legit and everything's above board, I think he may be one of the best doctors in Europe. Feriduni is on the list though.

I know the younger guys all want it "done in one" but what if you had multiple FUE sessions done by a world class doctor over time.
    Say 500-1000 grafts per session. Like kd@fuehairtransplanttruth is doing with Dr. Woods. Or... the same way Dr. Gho approaches his procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by mlao View Post
    I know the younger guys all want it "done in one" but what if you had multiple FUE sessions done by a world class doctor over time.
    Say 500-1000 grafts per session. Like kd@fuehairtransplanttruth is doing with Dr. Woods. Or... the same way Dr. Gho approaches his procedures.
    What's the benefit of this, though? Doesn't it just protract the whole thing?

According to veterans like topcat it's less invasive and does less damage.
    Just a thought.

Highlander, what is your timescale for this?

I have seen some of Dr Keser's work, and to be honest he seems like the 'Rahal of Europe', in terms of hairlines - which I know is a priority for you too.

I also know that Dr Rahal was top of your wish list. If FUE is half the price with Dr Keser, then that's something that is worth thinking about, if it spares having a scar, which nobody can predict in terms of its appearance.

I just worry about going to Turkey. Not sure if it's as "watertight" in terms of legal protection if anything goes wrong. Belgium would seem a safer bet, and so I'm also looking closely at Dr Feriduni and Dr Bisanga.

I think we're on the same wavelength, which is interesting :P