+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 31-Male Diagnosis and Help wanted (photo provided)

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for accepting me on this forum. Let me start from the beginning.

2007 (24 years old) - I wasn't balding or thinning. I had thick waves of hair. I began to use Minoxidil, because I was paranoid about losing my hair.

Around 2010/2011, my hairline began to disappear and the frontal middle section of my hair became thinner. I began to think Minoxidil was damaging my hair, because I always assumed my Minoxidil usage was a safety precaution. I wasn't using it as a reaction to my baldness, because I didn't know I was balding!

Anyway, this thought process of mine continued for a few years. Until..

August 2014 (31 years old) - I discontinued Minoxidil. I shed and shed and shed. The shedding stopped around January or February. And now I've been left as this:

My frontal hair now resembles a wanker's arse. Since then, the shedding stopped and I've been waiting for my hair to respond back to a "respectable" baseline. But I think this is what I'm stuck with, and not a day goes by where I don't want to cry.

I'm currently only using Nizoral 2% twice a week, and taking 2 x1000mg Pumpkin Seed supplements per day.

So, be honest - do you think there's any chance I could recover my density in the mid-frontal belt area? I've given up on the hairline, since I don't think there's much one can do about that. Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Regards,
    Steven.

Welcome!! First off, your hair does not resemble a "wankers arse" haha... It resembles MPB, which millions of men have. Minoxidil helps keep hair in the growing, or anagen phase. By doing so, it can help prevent hairs from falling and miniaturizing and may even grow some velour hairs back. By stopping minoxidil, most people, especially after years of use, experience a pretty big shed. If the hairs that are shed do not return, which is likely if you have MPB, then your ONLY hope is to hop on minoxidil again AND definitely finasteride. I know a lot of people are scared of these, but right now, they are the ONLY weapons that prove useful in the fight against MPB. REDUCE scalp DHT levels with fin and push for growth with minoxidil.. you can supplement with ketoconazol which may reduce inflammation, and I found washing with ice cold water makes my scalp feel awesome and reduces itching. I TRIED the natural route for years, during my most critical hair loss, didn't do a thing. The way your hair looks, only minox and fin can help.

Start taking finasteride. On this medication u would see some regrowth on vertex and crown. It can reverse the process in frontal region, but it do so very rare. So u should not expect it

Hello,
    Welcome to this forum!

I think that your hair can be restored, however the use of Nizoral and pumpkin seeds will not be of great help. Finasteride is what you need. There are many men who respond to this treatment very good. Don't lose hope and try.

Thanks for your comments. Really appreciated.

Anyway, I just wish the prospect of Finasteride didn't scare the living bejesus out of me. And it's not just the potential, if not small chance of permanent sexual side effects. But the brain fog, the fact I may become more feminine, less driven, ambitious... It's a total minefield.

How are you all coping on it? What's your dosage? And how often do you prescribe?

These potential sides kept me off of finasteride for years. First of all, I think the occurence of permanent sides is extremely, extremely unlikely. Secondly, you will avoid gyno by staying fit and healthy. The goal is to REDUCE circulating DHT, not completely destroy it. I am extremely skeptical of big pharm medications. I simply started off slow and carefully monitored any sides. 1 mg every other day. The only side I noticed was less viscous semen. Other than that, I will be completely honest, I noticed OTHER, more POSTIVE side effects that seem to contradict the noted sides of fin: 1) I did not experience brain fog, in fact I experienced the exact opposite - more focus and better memory. 2) I did not experience fatigue. I have MORE energy than ever. 3) No gyno at all so far 4) My face is SO clear and for some reason younger looking.
    I am not trying to promote anything. I think you should speak with your doctor, research, gain a thorough understanding of the drug and proceed accordingly, and carefully. I don't know how it will affect my hair in the long term, but I am noticing a ton of small hairs growing all over the place and it's only been 2.5 months.

Thanks for reporting your experiences Jamesst11. You are very kind, mate!

Yeah, I think I'm going to take the plunge soon. Basically, you're taking 3.5mg per week - so far. I think I would be hesitant to go over that threshold too.

I have one more question, if you don't mind. Obviously, this depends on your priorities - but one of the precautions to Finasterisde suggests not to ingest whilst trying for a baby?

Does this ever filter through your mind when you're with a lady? I mean, what if you accidentally get her pregnant? And to what extent can she, for the want of a better word, "interact" with your ejaculation? Obviously, I'm not trying to promote kinky sex here, but side-effects are one thing when they effect only yourself. But when they could potentially hurt a partner or a fetus, it's a bit of a quandary!

Quote Originally Posted by HairRequired View Post
    Thanks for reporting your experiences Jamesst11. You are very kind, mate!

Yeah, I think I'm going to take the plunge soon. Basically, you're taking 3.5mg per week - so far. I think I would be hesitant to go over that threshold too.

I have one more question, if you don't mind. Obviously, this depends on your priorities - but one of the precautions to Finasterisde suggests not to ingest whilst trying for a baby?

Does this ever filter through your mind when you're with a lady? I mean, what if you accidentally get her pregnant? And to what extent can she, for the want of a better word, "interact" with your ejaculation? Obviously, I'm not trying to promote kinky sex here, but side-effects are one thing when they effect only yourself. But when they could potentially hurt a partner or a fetus, it's a bit of a quandary!
    I just started taking propecia and I still don't feel any side effect besides the more watery semen, which is okay since my original semen was way to viscous. I would like to add thought that so far I have a much better mood, higher energy and I just feel happy. This isn't weird since I know I'm battling my hair loss and no longer have to think about it. Over thinking kills your mind.

As for the pregnancy... If you take propecia it's all right for the girl to get pregnant it won't affect the fetus. The only thing is to not let her handle your propecia medication. Other than that there is nothing to be afraid of.

Strange. A woman isn't safe to place a Propecia pill in her hand? That's such an odd thing!

Anyway, does anyone know where in the UK - could I safely purchase generic 1mg Propecia without going through the rigmarole of a prescription? I'm thinking of lessening the cost, if there is any to be had!

Ok. I've applied my first application of Minoxidil. And I've just ordered some 1mg Propecia (Finasterside) in which I plan to take .25mg per day when it arrives, as an introductory acclimatisation. I'll still use Nizoral 2% twice weekly.

I'll update with photos in a couple of months. Cheers everyone!