+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

Im rootin for you.

You're right about the dumbells. While they do promote stability along with forearm strength, just hitting the barbell would intensify it much more because you can lift heavier.

Yes, you can press 80 lbs dumbells but that just means you could be pressing 205ish on the bar. More weights, more weights! More!!! So from having 160 lbs pushing down on you, you now have 205.

Which is why squats and deadlifts are so radical. Razzle those dazzles!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Many an extra rep has been done because I knew a cute cardiobunny was mirin' me from afar. It's definitely a good motivating factor.
    Competing for strength is also a great motivation. Nothing is more satisfying then lifting 20 pounds more then a huge Roided dude that is busting is balls on a work out routine.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    Competing for strength is also a great motivation. Nothing is more satisfying then lifting 20 pounds more then a huge Roided dude that is busting is balls on a work out routine.
    Dex! What's up, my guy? How's everything going with finasteride?

I'm getting close to two months already.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Many an extra rep has been done because I knew a cute cardiobunny was mirin' me from afar. It's definitely a good motivating factor.
    Pathetic. I get extra reps when I remember that Zyzz watches over me from Mount Olympus.

So what'cha mean by free weights? What are your dumb bells up to? And is there a good spot to deadlift? If you have a bench, a good spot to deadlift, and dumbbells up to 100lbs (or 120lbs ideally), then your gym shouldn't hold you back much.

If I had to recommend one thing to anybody working out, it'd be to deadlift. If you don't know where to start, go with this:

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/resou...dl_program.xls

I don't actually have MS Office/OpenOffice on my computer right now, so I can't open that, but that's the one I downloaded when I started that program. If I remember right, it's as simple as putting in your current max (and maybe a projected max) and then doing exactly what it says. Once a week, and make sure to warm up fairly well. Romanian deadlifts, barbell rows, and lat pull downs are good accessory exercises if you've got some energy left to drain after that. The deadlift is so lat heavy, you'll definitely get a V-taper. And you'll get sick growth hormone benefits (from deadlift and any other big lift). It sounds hard to believe, but deadlifting will make every single muscle in your body grow better, even the ones it doesn't specifically hit (and there really isn't a lot that deadlift doesn't hit anyway). There is just no good reason to not be deadlifting.

If I had to give two pieces of advice, the second would be to look in to upper/lower splits. And I could do a third, fourth, fifth, etc. all day, but if you want to keep things simple, start that deadlift program, like, tomorrow. You'll start getting gains and you'll start craving it. Nothing is better for the brain than a deadlift PR. I recommend psyching yourself up really hard too. It seems ****ing stupid, but if you're trying to hit a one rep max, imagine yourself as a ****ing vocano about to explode, throwing the bar in to ****ing outer space. Or anything equally retarded.

I feel like I've got some pretty good diet advice too, but I was a fruitarian for 8 months, so no body listens to my bs anyway. Just go deadlift!

Hey Davey,

Thanks, man. I was excited to see your response.

The dumbbells max out at 50 pounds, so basically worthless.

"It sounds hard to believe, but deadlifting will make every single muscle in your body grow better, even the ones it doesn't specifically hit" is not crazy at all, dude. Same with squats.

But yeah, main thing is I have dumb bells up to 50 pounds, and I hate machines. I hate guided motion.

I'm just going to get a gym membership. Don't have time for that worthless complementary "get-small" gym.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Hey Davey,

Thanks, man. I was excited to see your response.

The dumbbells max out at 50 pounds, so basically worthless.

"It sounds hard to believe, but deadlifting will make every single muscle in your body grow better, even the ones it doesn't specifically hit" is not crazy at all, dude. Same with squats.

But yeah, main thing is I have dumb bells up to 50 pounds, and I hate machines. I hate guided motion.

I'm just going to get a gym membership. Don't have time for that worthless complementary "get-small" gym.
    Yeah, gyms like that are borderline useless for lifting. Find a fully-equipped real gym with barbells, squat-racks, etc. Then check out my resource thread to get your diet in order. Drop a message on my wall if you ever have any questions on nutrition. I have spent more time than I care to admit on nutrition/lifting forums over the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Dex! What's up, my guy? How's everything going with finasteride?

I'm getting close to two months already.
    Hey BigThinker, sorry for the late reply friend. Fin is holding it for me at the moment. I'm currently taking it every other week or 3 times a week. I was shedding for a while, because of stress but now I'm back to normal.

How's Fin treating you?

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    Hey BigThinker, sorry for the late reply friend. Fin is holding it for me at the moment. I'm currently taking it every other week or 3 times a week. I was shedding for a while, because of stress but now I'm back to normal.

How's Fin treating you?
    Doing good, bro. Can't tell if I have sides or not. Seems like I might be less horny and more tired, but not enough for me to quit. I'm still taking it everyday, but thinking about toning it down to every other day to see if I feel different. Started minox last week.

Makin' gains bros. I told someone I'd update this thread. I'm up like 8 pounds since I started lifting (with lower body fat, for sure), which actually occurred after I started fin or there was at least a strong overlap.

So, balding brothers, get to the gym. Even if you're in the early stages, you should be getting your finances in order, your body ready, and your style game on point. Even if you don't end up bald, you'll be a better man than you were before.

Also, thanks Davey for helping convince me there could be life after baldness - even if I'm not there yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot(2).jpg

Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	22950   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot(3).jpg

Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	22951   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot(4).jpg

Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	22952   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot(5).jpg

Size:	16.3 KB