+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    You can use it now at like 5% for $70 a month.
    From where? I will buy it today, and report the results here.

If anything comes out in the future, I hope it's good enough that fin/minox aren't even in the discussion. When people say that "potential product x" is better than either it makes me nervous, as I basically don't consider either to be a treatment. The fact that they have the sales that they do to me is proof of just how desperate people are for something, even if that thing barely works (if at all) for most most people.

Quote Originally Posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready View Post
    I hadn't been following it either (mostly because I'm more interested in a better fin alternative). But, I've been getting some really good news about bim, and because it inhibits PGD2, that makes me even more excited because I'm hoping something pans out with Follica and PGD2/GPR44 inhibitors.
    FYI I think bim has promise but I don't believe bim inhibits PDG2 as it is a PDF2 analog which promotes the activity of PGE2 which stimulates hair growth. Here is a good summary: "It is more likely that a number of end factors contribute to hair loss with factors like PGD2 inhibiting hair growth and others such as PGE2 and PGF2 promoting it," he said. "PGD2 inhibition may emerge as part of a combined approach used in combination with agents that work via different mechanisms . . . as a more effective approach to hair loss treatment." http://health.usnews.com/health-news...ainst-baldness

Regardless, I saw that Dr. Alan Bauman had been getting results all over the top of the scalp with bim (although I'm not sure of the concentration he was using). So, if you've still got some thinning spots while on fin, you could probably take care of those. If a PGD2 inhibitor comes on the market sometime, and you've got bim, you're looking at one of the best things to happen for guys with hair loss, maybe ever. If you've started thinning, or have been for a couple of years, it can be reversed with these drugs. I just hope Cots an Follica hurry the hell up.

Regardless, I saw that Dr. Alan Bauman had been getting results all over the top of the scalp with bim (although I'm not sure of the concentration he was using). So, if you've still got some thinning spots while on fin, you could probably take care of those. If a PGD2 inhibitor comes on the market sometime, and you've got bim, you're looking at one of the best things to happen for guys with hair loss, maybe ever. If you've started thinning, or have been for a couple of years, it can be reversed with these drugs. I just hope Cots an Follica hurry the hell up.
    I agree that could be a great combination. My understanding is that bim does directly what minox does indirectly........which is why it is more powerful. I actually tried Lumigen for a while. I saw some noticeable results (with just 4-6 drops daily) in less than 2 months in my crown (my thinnest area) but they faded. This was very expensive at Lumigen pricing.

Anybody who wants to see a video from Doctor Bauman : http://youtu.be/FIOhiVwmVm0

This article has been brought up in other threads but I figured it would be appropriate to post on it here. The authors conducted a small scale study using Latanoprost (essentially the same thing as Bimatoprost/Latisse, from my understanding) on human subjects and found that it stimulated regrowth of hair on the scalp:

Ulrike Blume-Peytavi et al., A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study to assess the efficacy of a 24-week topical treatment by latanoprost 0.1%, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology Vol. 66, p. 794-800 (2012).

This formulation was just that already available, so it is not indicative of what could happen with stronger concentrated formulas.

From the findings:

"At 24 weeks at the latanoprost-treated site, the density (22% in the entire study population) was significantly higher compared with baseline and placebo. As vellus hairs increased on both investigational sites, the vehicle may also have stimulated hair growth."

This was a small scale study with young men with relatively mild cases of hair loss. The authors also state that similar regrowth had been shown in studies of Minoxidil. So it's not clear what the ultimate significance is, but this is an actual study on the scalps of human balding men.

Interesting! And this is at .1% concentration. I believe the current trials are testing 1-10% concentrations, pretty exciting.

If trial results will be good enough, how long do you think it will take until bimatoprost comes out to market?

Quote Originally Posted by rambo007 View Post
    If trial results will be good enough, how long do you think it will take until bimatoprost comes out to market?
    There was an interview with allergan CEO David pyott on cnbc after they reported the results of the first phase 2 trial, and he gave an expected date of 2020. For anyone that's disappointed by that I would add two things. It will be an absolute miracle if we see a cure in our lifetimes. We'll be the luckiest balding SOBs that ever lived if anything comes out, let alone in the next five years. Also, this is far from certain. While it's an interesting possibility, there have been many others in the past that didn't pan out. We just don't know yet what if anything this can do.