+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by epipapilla View Post
    You, fred970, are far too harsh and far too fastidious! I guess the balding process turned you into a very cynical person, or is that just an excuse? i.e. is this just your real personality coming out?

Have you ever heard of the saying: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I71cY9Ysy5U

I guess not.

Regardless of whether or not the original poster has ulterior motives, I am absolutely shocked by the way you attack him, and there really is no need for it. I have seen you do this on other threads and hair loss forums too.

Good day to you! (or should that be Bad day to you?)
    Look at my join date, and then look at yours, I've been in this far longer than you've been.

Every other month, some mad scientist comes up with these miracle cures he found in his basement.

Hi Fred970 I was thinking whether I should do this or not, many times when I did a google search, some of these forums showed up. So I just created an account to share what I did. Now, I did what I needed to do, share my knowledge and findings. Hope it shows up in some google search of someone. Please remember this, I said many times that this is not a complete treatment (or cure). It needs injections [you can't do that to your whole temples, all the time], It is ridiculously expensive, and it might have side effects when done in bigger scale. Also, if you call being employed in one of the most scientifically advanced places in the world, basement. I have nothing further to add. This is the last post I have in this forum or any other forum on the web, the only other place I mentioned this was a blog. Sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by FGF11 View Post
    Hi Fred970 I was thinking whether I should do this or not, many times when I did a google search, some of these forums showed up. So I just created an account to share what I did. Now, I did what I needed to do, share my knowledge and findings. Hope it shows up in some google search of someone. Please remember this, I said many times that this is not a complete treatment (or cure). It needs injections [you can't do that to your whole temples, all the time], It is ridiculously expensive, and it might have side effects when done in bigger scale. Also, if you call being employed in one of the most scientifically advanced places in the world, basement. I have nothing further to add. This is the last post I have in this forum or any other forum on the web, the only other place I mentioned this was a blog. Sincerely.
    On the one hand, I want to thank you for your contribution, but on the other hand, I don't believe you without pics and more proofs... sorry dude

i strongly believe that it is possible for a clever scientist with biological talent and understanding to figure out some approaches which were not yet considered by bigger or famous companies or researchers.
    all the things this guy wrote down made sense and sounded really interesting, but now that he was scared away, we will never know.
    if he tried to sell something or scam us, nobody will ever know.
    it was very shortsighted of some members here to critize the guy in that aggressive way. if he were to scam us, we would have found it out soon.
    just because he refuses to post pictures at the first moment doesn't mean anything.

so that's it. chance passed by, and we'll continue with histogen, replicel, pilofocus, and the usual waiting games.

even if one day really a smart guy pops up with real and good research which could shed some new light on the MPB mechanism, he will no chance to be heard.
    people who are not familiar with forums and just try to help by writing some interesting ideas into a forum, will leave very quickly if they only get attacked by all members.

like i said, if it was a troll or scammer who tries to sell something, we would have found out very soon. but until then, there's no need to attack just everyone who comes up with a new idea.

Dude, why don't you just post your protocol (even though you claim to not want people to try it...)?

Also, as detailed as your posts are, no one is going to take it seriously without photos.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    i strongly believe that it is possible for a clever scientist with biological talent and understanding to figure out some approaches which were not yet considered by bigger or famous companies or researchers.
    all the things this guy wrote down made sense and sounded really interesting, but now that he was scared away, we will never know.
    if he tried to sell something or scam us, nobody will ever know.
    it was very shortsighted of some members here to critize the guy in that aggressive way. if he were to scam us, we would have found it out soon.
    just because he refuses to post pictures at the first moment doesn't mean anything.

so that's it. chance passed by, and we'll continue with histogen, replicel, pilofocus, and the usual waiting games.

even if one day really a smart guy pops up with real and good research which could shed some new light on the MPB mechanism, he will no chance to be heard.
    people who are not familiar with forums and just try to help by writing some interesting ideas into a forum, will leave very quickly if they only get attacked by all members.

like i said, if it was a troll or scammer who tries to sell something, we would have found out very soon. but until then, there's no need to attack just everyone who comes up with a new idea.
    Do not worry yourself too much. If you were a scientist and you found a cure or effective treatment to MPB, would you make a few posts on a message board and leave it at that? Anyone familiar with hair loss forums would know that such claims would be met with skepticism - and rightly so.

I do not know if this guy is a fake or not. He posted the exact same thing on a popular hair loss blog a day or two ago. He claims that his protocol utilizes some chemical that only a few people have access to, so we wouldn't be able to experiment with it even if he is telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Look at my join date, and then look at yours, I've been in this far longer than you've been.

Every other month, some mad scientist comes up with these miracle cures he found in his basement.
    Because you joined this forum before me or others does not make your posts or points of view any more valid!

Because you have more posts than me or others does also not make your posts any more valid!

Criticism is fine, but you are too far over the top. I can almost feel your misery, cynicism and bitterness through your words of constant pessimism. You certainly are not doing yourself any favours with this mindset.

Honestly - this is fascinating - kind of brilliant - and it makes sense.

Ultimately, the critical component driving hair loss is the androgen receptor. And he nicely highlights that the androgen receptor is activated (to subsequently undergo nuclear translocation and impact gene expression) through androgen-dependent and androgen-independent pathways. This accounts for why DHT is NOT the whole story, but the disease still CENTERS on the androgen receptor.

His story accounts for what is observed from a genetic perspective. The critical genetic variant on the androgen receptor that leaves us vulnerable to male pattern baldness is carried by 85% of the population (at least among Western Europeans). If you don't have a copy of this variant, then you won't go bald. And this accounts for how a male who becomes NW7 at 21 years of age can have a kid that never loses a hair during his whole life (? John Mayer and Orlando Bloom). He inherited a golden X chromosome from his mother that doesn't carry the AR MPB genetic variant - so no matter what genes he inherits from his father and the remaining genes he inherits from his mother, he'll never go bald - he is protected for life. This also accounts for how a father who never lost a hair his whole life can give birth to a son who goes NW7 at 19. The father may have carried a ton of balding genes - but they effectively could never become "active" because he carried the golden X-chromosome - but then his son inherits a regular X-chromosome from his mother and then his balding genes become relevant and destroys the son's life... This is how balding can skip a generation.

It's only 15% of the population that get this lucky - so for the other 85%, your propensity to develop MPB is influenced by genes from both your mother and your father. Most of us (well, all of us on this website), carry the genetic variant on the AR that makes us vulnerable to MPB - so we will go bald with time - but the rate and the extent is dependent upon the other MPB disease modifying genes (and there are probably many, many genes involved) that you inherit from both of your parents. And this is consistent with what we observe - most people end up being a blend of your maternal and paternal genes. Periodically some people get screwed and inherit all of the MPB disease modifying genes carried by both parents and end up going bald much earlier - and others get lucky and avoid the majority of the MPB disease modifying genes and go bald much later.

The game changer is the genetic variant on the androgen receptor that can make you immune.

I think he's right - if new drugs are not directly targeting the androgen receptor - they will never be a definitive fix. Anti-DHT drugs will help - but they don't deal with the cytokines. And anti-cytokine drugs don't deal with DHT. And the problem with anti-cytokine drugs is that there are so many different cytokines that can activate the androgen receptor. So it's not like you can take 1 anti-cytokine drug and a DHT drug and be protected (though that may help a lot). You'll need to take 20 or more anti-cytokine drugs to be protected from all of the different cytokines (depending upon which pathways are operative in you).

And his comment about anti-DHT drugs being of minimal help when MPB is more advanced also makes sense. The scalp is full of cytokines that are up-regulating themselves through positive feedback loops - so even if you get rid of DHT, the cytokines will continue to cause AR activation and you'll continue to lose your hair. So none of the drugs/products under current development are going to be a permanent fix. Though they will likely be synergistic - if you take multiple drugs that target multiple pathways that converge on the androgen receptor, then you'll get better results.

Assuming he's telling the truth, it is reassuring that inactivating the androgen receptor resulted in re-growth. I've always worried that, although the stem cells are still there, that fibrosis which developed may prevent complete re-growth. But maybe not - and that goes along with what has been observed with alopecia areata.

We need a drug that directly targets the androgen receptor. Not an anti-androgen that prevents androgen binding to the androgen receptor - that's not enough because cytokines will still be able to activate the androgen receptor. We need a drug that prevents the androgen receptor from being able to translocate into the nucleus. His anti-sense oligonucleotide would do that (it would prevent the androgen receptor from being translated and hence none would be expressed in the scalp).

Imagine combining the Follicept delivery vehicle (not IGF-1, which was useless - not surprisingly...) with a compound that prevented AR expression in the scalp.

You probably don't need complete AR suppression in the scalp, though. The 15% of people that don't carry the AR genetic variant associated with baldness still have functional androgen receptors (unlike people with androgen insensitivity syndrome). There's something about that variant (and who knows if it's that variant - it could be linked to another genetic variant) that allows androgen receptors to work properly in other aspects of development (allowing you to become a male), but fails to activate the balding process. But we probably don't need to be that specific - people with androgen insensitivity syndrome have normal hair, so we could just shut down androgen receptors in the scalp. We are all afraid of side-effects - and there's no way you'd be able to take a drug that shut down androgen receptors systemically. But a topical that localized to the scalp could work.

It's really interesting - it sounds like they are looking into androgen receptor drugs in prostate cancer. It's conceivable that - like finasteride - the holy grail for hair loss could evolve from a prostate cancer drug.

Anyway - I don't know if this guy is telling the truth - re: hair regrowth - but everything he says makes sense. I'm a physician and a scientist and I think he's made some really interesting inferences.

NEWSFLASH: He has nothing to sell.

These drugs are already locked down and patented by pharma companies. There is no money for him to make if he didn't share this protocol. He could never monetize it himself.

You can ask for pictures and more information about his protocol, but you can't demand photos or be overly suspicious of him. There is nothing for him to sell, and thus no real reason he MUST post pictures. That doesn't mean we can't ask nicely, but we should not be treating him like he's histogen who is trying to sell us something.

Hopefully he comes back because his insights were interesting, to say the least

Some people on these message boards are unbelievably autistic

J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Nov 19. pii: S0091-6749(15)01582-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2015.11.001. [Epub ahead of print]
    Extensive alopecia areata is reversed by IL-12/IL-23p40 cytokine antagonism.
    Guttman-Yassky E1, Ungar B2, Noda S3, Suprun M4, Shroff A5, Dutt R5, Khattri S5, Min M5, Mansouri Y5, Zheng X3, Estrada YD5, Singer GK5, Suarez-Farinas M6, Krueger JG3, Lebwohl MG5.
    Author information
    PMID: 26607705 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
    Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+