+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SO finasteride doesn't work in the 'temples'

But does it STOP a hairline receding in the corners/temples? I know it seems very good for people with crown or diffuse loss.

My hair loss is probably a little weird, I first noticed that one side had moved back about 1cm after I got my haircut after having it long for a few months. It happened so fast. It was just like the hairline had just moved 1-2cm back overnight, no getting thin or anything and just left behind perfectly smooth scalp where hair used to be. This side also appears to show no minaturisation.

When I got my haircut, it was just this side that had moved back - the other side was still perfect, and seeing as I didn't know anything about hairloss, I was constantly worried about that side. However now one year later, the original side that had receded is still in the exact same position with a strong hairline, however the other side has now moved back and is DEFINITELY minaturising - lifting the hair up reveals a really lighter colour etc, and the hair is thin.

I am sort of hoping that my hairloss follows my dads, that is there doesn't seem to be any loss in the crown until much later in life, although I expect my dad will be pretty much bald by the time he is 60 (and tbh if his hair wasn't so curly it may be earlier).

Its hard to judge, but does finasteride actually prevent further loss for people with mild hairloss in the corners of the hairline?

Finasteride not working in the hairline/temples is a myth that can be proven wrong with patience. Finasteride works where ever there is hair, finasteride will get to that hair and strengthen it, in time of course.

I found this from a link I saw in another hair loss website and I found it interesting so I will post it.

Common Misconceptions about Finasteride

Myth: Women can’t touch the medication.
    Fact: Pregnant women should not handle crushed or broken tablets.

Myth: It only works in the crown.
    Fact: It potentially works any where on the scalp where there is some hair, even in the front of the scalp.

Myth: Once you start it you must take it for ever.
    Fact: You can stop the medication any time you want – you just lose its benefits when one stops.

Myth: Finasteride lowers testosterone
    Fact: The medication, on average, causes a rise in serum testosterone levels by 9%.

Myth: The sexual side effects are frequent and irreversible.
    Fact: The sexual side effects occur in 2% and are reversible when the medication is stopped.

Myth: Finasteride causes birth defects if a man takes it when his wife is pregnant.
    Fact: Exposure of pregnant women to semen from men treated with Propecia poses no risk to the fetus.

Myth: Propecia was originally a prostate medication that was found to prevent hair loss.
    Fact: Propecia is not a prostate medication that was by chance noted to have a side effect of hair growth, it is a medication that was known since its discovery that it could grow hair.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...a-finasteride/

And I don't know if it's the 5% Kirkland's minoxidil or the Finasteride, but I am seeing regrowth on my temples at 5 month mark. Both Minoxidil and Finasteride are said to only regrow hair on the crown, yet i'm seeing regrowth on both the crown and temples. I put 2ML min on the hairline and temples/crown, and take 1.25mg fin daily, no sexual side effects, no sheds yet that I am aware of.

So, from my experiences so far, yes fin can halt hair loss on the temples/hairline and even regrow/thicken what you have there, but it will only work with what you have, don't expect a completely bald part of your forehead, to regrow hair out of it's grave. So I do believe what that website says that it's just a myth that fin only works on the crown.

Your posting is criminal bullshit.

propeciahelp.com would NOT exist if what you say is true. Nor class-action lawsuits against Merck. Get it together, that shit is poison. If it weren't, it'd be in every drug store, sold over-the-counter and available to children and pets and whatever.

If you don't like it or you're scared of the side effects then don't it use it. Very simple. Just move on with your life.

The 'myth' came about partly due to the drug only initially being tested for the crown, and partly due to it being more effective at the crown than at the front. The notion that Finasteride "doesn't work at the front" is clearly false.

Success at the hairline/temples is possible, but like with all other aspects of Finasteride use, the experience of each individual patient can vary a great deal.
    Last edited by mattj; 04-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

PatientlyWaiting this is not about me not liking it (which I don't) or being scared of the side effects (which I am).

It's about your Fact/Myth table that is completely false and ridiculous. Even www.propecia.com has better facts than you and they are SELLING the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    The 'myth' came about partly due to the drug only initially being tested for the crown, and partly due to it being more effective at the crown than at the front. The notion that Finasteride "doesn't work at the front" is clearly false.

Success at the hairline/temples is possible, but like with all other aspects of Finasteride use, the experience of each individual patient can vary a great deal.
    Im not really talking about success as in regrowth, just whether it stops further loss

Quote Originally Posted by AgainstThis View Post
    PatientlyWaiting this is not about me not liking it (which I don't) or being scared of the side effects (which I am).

It's about your Fact/Myth table that is completely false and ridiculous. Even www.propecia.com has better facts than you and they are SELLING the thing.
    Stop it right there. You? That's Bernstein Medical, not "you" or "yours".

I believe in what they say because I am on Fin myself and I have regrowth on the temple. That's all I need to know, I don't need to read any study to show what it does and what it doesn't do as long as I know it's safe[for me] which it is.

Plus finasteride was never tested for the front neither was minoxidil, that's why they sell it for only the crown. But thousands of guys will tell you, it does work every where around the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakez View Post
    Im not really talking about success as in regrowth, just whether it stops further loss
    I have no more hairloss any where on my head, so yes it does stop/slow down hair loss. In my case I would say now I shed hair like a person without MPB thanks to fin+minox[ the average person can shed anywhere from 100, 150, even 200 hairs a day for a person not even suffering from hair loss]. I might be going crazy or maybe blind but I don't even see 100 hairs a day. I mean I think I would see them on my fingers when I rub my head, or see them on my pillow, or anywhere. I'm pretty sure I do shed though, there's no such thing as not shedding hair at all.