Doctor refuses to prescribe Proscar, why??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveB23
    • Aug 2011

Doctor refuses to prescribe Proscar, why??

13 months ago I visited a dermatologist for my hair thinning. She told me to begin using minoxidil (which I have everyday since) and also prescribed me Propecia.
    At the time I was wary to try finasteride, and wanted to see how I would react to the minoxidil first. But now Im ready to take the finasteride plunge.

The only thing is, I am a college student and cannot afford the expensive Propecia. From all the research I have done online and on forums, Proscar is the same as Propecia, except it comes in 5 mg tablets that need to be broken up. Proscar is also much less expensive, so it seems to be the perfect option for me.

When I took my Propecia prescription to Walgreens and asked to get Proscar instead, they said I would need to have a separate prescription for the Proscar.

When I called my doctors office and asked them to write me a prescription for Proscar instead of Propecia, the secretary told me that the doctor refuses to write prescriptions for Proscar and that she only writes it for Propecia.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? The only reason I can think of is that the doctor gets some sort of financial kickback from Propecia for prescribing it instead of Proscar. When I mentioned this to the secretary, she said she did not believe this is the case, that the doctor doesn't prescribe it because it is different than Propecia and something about Proscar worries the doctor.
    I believe this is utter bullshit but I wanted to ask you all here if anyone else has ever experienced this, and if there is in fact a difference between Propecia and Proscar that would make a doctor wary to prescribe it?
  • StressedToTheBald
    Inactive
    • Jan 2012

The Post-Propecia / Finasteride Syndrome -- permanent physical, mental and sexual side effects which continue despite quitting Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar...

Doctor: "I have never prescribed it and I never will"

Comment

• DaveB23
      • Aug 2011

That doctor looks to be against all finasteride, doesn't matter if its Propecia, Proscar, etc.

That doesn't answer my question. If my doctor was against finasteride in general, she wouldn't even prescribe me Propecia. My question is why she would prescribe Propecia but refuse to prescribe Proscar

Comment

• StressedToTheBald
        Inactive
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DaveB23
        That doctor looks to be against all finasteride, doesn't matter if its Propecia, Proscar, etc.

That doesn't answer my question. If my doctor was against finasteride in general, she wouldn't even prescribe me Propecia. My question is why she would prescribe Propecia but refuse to prescribe Proscar
        I actually agree with him.

Back to Your question:
        Answer No. 1.. Your initial thoughts.. it could easily be a financial benefit of having a deal with the manufacturer. Answer No.2 It could be a thing of procedural/legal/medical records nature. Proscar is much more powerful, 5 times more powerful than Propecia and is NOT meant to be prescribed for hair loss, but for prostate enlargement(BPH).. as You are not treated for prostate problems, it might be the law that forbids prescription of a drug only instructed for prescription for just one medical condition.

Comment

• DaveB23
          • Aug 2011

I see, that makes sense that she wouldn't want to prescribe it because its meant for BPH. Thanks for the response.

I guess my only option is to try and find a different doctor who will prescribe it.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
            • Oct 2011

Make it clear to the Doctor you intend to pill split when prescribed the Proscar. She's probably not thinking it through.

Comment

• Tracy C
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DaveB23
              Has anyone else encountered this problem?
              I have read about others who have had that problem with some doctors. I suppose some doctors are not O.K. with prescribing pills that would need to be split. You probably need to find another doctor who is willing to write the script for you. It would save you even more money if you ask the doctor to write the script for generic Finasteride.

Comment

• howers
                • Oct 2013

If you're curious this is the pharmacy I use to get propecia without a prescription http://www.goodonlinepharmacy.com/

Comment

• burtandernie
                  • Nov 2012

Same thing from a derm when I asked. He said it was a liability issue with the drug not being approved for that condition. I can understand where he is coming from there are way too many issues out there to not cover your own ass.

Comment

• ohkay
                    • Aug 2014

I been recently buying proscar without a prescription here http://www.bestrxgenerics.com so far so good.

Comment

• JamesYbarra
                      • May 2017

I took it for hair loss, before Propecia was around. It stopped my getting up at night and completely filled in my top of head hair loss. I haven't had any other problems with it, and now am afraid to stop. I said 7 years, but I've used it since it was available, so it was probably longer. The extra benefit was I was getting up at night at least once for urination, and now I don't get up at all.

Comment

• Rashid Azar
                        • May 2017

interesting, if someone needs fin or proscar without any prescription here is store where i have already bought twice. pills ships from india https://vafameg.site/

Comment

• JohnMPB
                          • Nov 2009

Probably a liability issue.

I've visited a doctor that refused to give me 5mg finasteride and would only give me an rx for 1mg.

Call the office ahead of time and ask if they write rx's for 5 mg fin beforehand.

Comment

Working...