+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Is there honestly anything other than the big 3 worth looking into?

Hi All,

I'm a mid-twenties male with MPB and I have a simple question aimed at those with significant experience in these forums (someone like Desmond): Is there anything worth looking at besides the big 3 (minox, propecia, niz)?

I currently take rogaine and niz, and am likely starting propecia soon. Just a casual look throughout all of the forums, however, leaves one inundated with other options, including: topical propecia, s5 cream, RU, revivogen, bespoke, stronger minox (15%), and others.

I know that there are a ton of forums covering this, and trust me, I've looked through them. But doing so has honestly left me with more questions than answers. I view most vitamin and natural cures as snake oil. but some of the medications listed above seem promising (especially topical propecia, which my derm prescribed).

So in short: Is there anything else worth taking a strong look at? I'm hoping to definitively get an answer from those who have clearly demonstrated their experience in this area through this forum (which, I consider to be the definitive place for honest talk regarding balding meds). Apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it, and I think storing this answer in one place could be really helpful for those looking for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a mid-twenties male with MPB and I have a simple question aimed at those with significant experience in these forums (someone like Desmond): Is there anything worth looking at besides the big 3 (minox, propecia, niz)?

I currently take rogaine and niz, and am likely starting propecia soon. Just a casual look throughout all of the forums, however, leaves one inundated with other options, including: topical propecia, s5 cream, RU, revivogen, bespoke, stronger minox (15%), and others.

I know that there are a ton of forums covering this, and trust me, I've looked through them. But doing so has honestly left me with more questions than answers. I view most vitamin and natural cures as snake oil. but some of the medications listed above seem promising (especially topical propecia, which my derm prescribed).

So in short: Is there anything else worth taking a strong look at? I'm hoping to definitively get an answer from those who have clearly demonstrated their experience in this area through this forum (which, I consider to be the definitive place for honest talk regarding balding meds). Apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it, and I think storing this answer in one place could be really helpful for those looking for an answer.
    There is nothing else that has been significantly tested and approved by the fda. Dutasteride for example works better than anything else but its not approved. 15% minox will work better than %5 as minoxidil is dose dependent. Laser cap and prp+acell seem to work but are expensive enough I wouldn't spend my money on them for the results shown at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    There is nothing else that has been significantly tested and approved by the fda. Dutasteride for example works better than anything else but its not approved. 15% minox will work better than %5 as minoxidil is dose dependent. Laser cap and prp+acell seem to work but are expensive enough I wouldn't spend my money on them for the results shown at least not yet.
    Interesting. Of course nothing replaces the Big 3. But it does seem like people report success with other medications in a fairly consistent manner. This includes: 15% minox and Regenepure DR.

I'm not trying to claim a shampoo represents a sustainable hair loss treatment method. But is there, at the very least, a "Soft 3" of sorts, consisting of slightly helpful medications/treatments that, although not as strong as the Big 3, are not complete wastes of money?

Imo big 3 should be the foundation. Anything else is icing on the cake. Remember fighting hair loss is a marathon, not a sprint. If u care about ur hair you'll likely spend years trying to fight it. Imagine applying 8 different topicals everyday for 10 or 20 years. If u really need regrowth, I'd experiment with things slowly by adding to the big 3.

The big 3 didn't do much for me (2-3 years) until I added in dut. which has stopped the loss and given me some regrowth.

heard lot of good thing about derma roller. it is said to be the big 4.

Big 3 is a lie, only fina/dura actually work...At a cost. Can't comment on derma roller, it might work. LLLT Doesn't work. PRP makes things worse.

With 4 studies backing up LLLT now I'd say it's worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyJay View Post
    The big 3 didn't do much for me (2-3 years) until I added in dut. which has stopped the loss and given me some regrowth.
    When you say added dut, do you mean taking both fin and dut? Or switching fin to dut instead?

Everyone who tried LLLT knows it does norhing. Myself an many friends that of mine included.