Peppermint Oil - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peppermint Oil

Default Peppermint Oil

I'm NOT saying this is the cure, so please don't jump all over me, but has anyone else looked into the effects of peppermint oil for human hair growth? Yes, this is another study on mice. But note the bit in bold about IGF-1. According to this study, peppermint oil beat out minox.

I'm wondering if anyone has added peppermint oil to their existing regimen, and not in the weak amounts found in some shampoos. I started using it on my temples to deal with migraines. I felt my scalp tingling -- in a good way. It made me wonder, so I did a search and found this.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Toxicol Res. 2014 Dec; 30(4): 297–304.
    doi: 10.5487/TR.2014.30.4.297

Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs

Ji Young Oh,corresponding author1 Min Ah Park,2 and Young Chul Kim2
    Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►

Abstract

Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a plant native to Europe and has been widely used as a carminative and gastric stimulant worldwide. This plant also has been used in cosmetic formulations as a fragrance component and skin conditioning agent. This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil on hair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth. ALP activity and IGF-1 expression also significantly increased in PEO group. Body weight gain and food efficiency were not significantly different between groups. These results suggest that PEO induces a rapid anagen stage and could be used for a practical agent for hair growth without change of body weight gain and food efficiency.

worth a try, who really knows? It says here that they used 3% PEO... what percentage formula do you use? I see pure 100% PEO... do you just dilute it? in water?

I have to imagine that if peppermint oil could cause cosmetically significant hair regrowth in humans we would know about it by now. It is after all, an ingredient in numerous soaps, shampoos, and cosmetic products, and some people even take it orally for indigestion.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    worth a try, who really knows? It says here that they used 3% PEO... what percentage formula do you use? I see pure 100% PEO... do you just dilute it? in water?
    Nope. I just dip a Q-tip in the bottle and then rub it on my temples. Some people say it burns their skin. It doesn't burn mine. It just feels like Bengay. My bottle is a year old, so maybe it's not as potent as it once was. (I bought it to get rid of mice in my house. It works for that. Be careful about using this stuff if you have a cat, though, as it will burn their nostrils.)

I can't speak to its efficacy for hair growth, as I just started using it yesterday, but I can say that it relieves my headaches. So, there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I have to imagine that if peppermint oil could cause cosmetically significant hair regrowth in humans we would know about it by now. It is after all, an ingredient in numerous soaps, shampoos, and cosmetic products, and some people even take it orally for indigestion.
    Have there been any clinical trials? Again, I don't know. I just found the article and shared. There's a discussion about peppermint oil on one of the other hair loss forums. Some of their users report positive effects, but obviously, anything online has to be taken with a few grains of salt.

This seems like another rosemary oil thing. There are studies there that claim it works, but all people who have tried (including me) had nothing to report

I think there are tons of differences between fur on a mouse and hair on a human head. There could be tons of things at play like immune system that account for why something like igf-1 spikes with peppermint oil on them and does nothing on us. They really need to test on things like monkeys or something more comparable to a human from a genetic point of view to even begin thinking the result could translate over to us.

If you google peppermint oil, you will find a ton of articles, primarily geared towards women, that show it's potential in many ways for the skin and hair. Many of them say that it "nourishes the hair follicle and provides better circulation". Also, that it helps control shedding and promotes faster hair regrowth... so on and so forth. Once again, there is only ONE actual scientific study to support this. However, women seem to know what's up when it comes to hair hahaha... why not try it? It seems to be at least good for the scalp and facial skin. Right now, all the minoxidil and nizoral kind of dries out my hair, so 3 times a week, I will rub some argan and emu oil through it and it makes it look amazing the next day when I shampoo it. I think I may add a couple drops of Peppermint. Discoveries aren't always found through science. Sometimes it's just trial and error. I doubt that it will REGROW your vellous hair, but it may be helpful in addition to fin and minox.

I'm with jamesst11, and I love me some argan oil as well. Here is my recipe though, because I make my own conditioner at home to soak my hair in before showering. I use aloe vera, peppermint oil, argan oil, and coconut oil. Those four combined really revitalize my scalp. I insist on using a pure argan oil though, as I have used some products like conditioners infused with argan oil.. they have given me side effects, but not when I use a pure argan oil. So that tells me it's the chemical additives, because it never happens when I make my own mixture it doesn't give me any bad side effects and my hair grows in thicker.

Peppermint oil has antifungal, antioxidant, antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, which makes it an excellent for treating a variety of issues including hair loss problems. Below are the top issues that can be resolved with peppermint oil:

Hair loss by including in hair products or massaging directly onto scalp after dilution with a comparable carrier oil.
    As a massage oil mixed with a suitable carrier oil for sore muscles and aching joints.
    Can be used for skin inflammation and other conditions like eczema and acne,
    You can use it in a DIY toothpaste or mouthwash to freshen breath and reduce cavities.
    Peppermint oil can be used a bug repellent.
    Peppermint oil can help balance hormones and relieve the symptoms of conditions such as PCOS, IBS and indigestion.