+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Propecia/Regain Question

Ok! So I am aware that any benefits that are gained from prepecia will be lost if one stops taking. I am also aware that the same applys for Regain.

My question is??? If I Take Propecia to save what hair I have left and then regain to gain a little more. Once the extra is gained can I drop the regain due to the fact that propecia keeps what you have??

Hope that makes sense. Adam.

P.S - How much more effective is the combo as oppose to just one. Personal accounts would be much appreciated as oppose to pure theory.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Any time you are using either Rogaine and/or Propecia and have what appears to be stabalized the hair loss that means the treatments are working. If you stop either or both there is a chance that what was gained or held onto could be lost or let go.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

It does seem that in some individuals, the combination of Propecia and minoxidil are more effective than either one alone. If you are getting the desired results, I would hesitate to discontinue one of them.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by blackhairdude View Post
    P.S - How much more effective is the combo as oppose to just one. Personal accounts would be much appreciated as oppose to pure theory.
    As you may know, most women cannot take Propecia or generic Finasteride. However women can take Spiro and use Rogaine to achieve similar effect as men can with Propecia and Rogaine. With that said, my experience is I had better results using both the topical and the oral medications. The oral medicine blocks the hormone that is triggering the hair loss - but it does nothing to stimulate hair to grow back. The topical medicine stimulates hair that can grow back to grow back - but it does nothing to block the hormone that is triggering the hair loss. The two medicines do two different things and when using them together, they help each other.

Hi Tracy,

where would I go to buy spiro? I'm thinking minoxidil and spiro would be just as good as minoxidil and finasteride.

BTW what is the third item in 'the big three' I know it's minoxidil and finasteride. Is nizoral the last one? I'm gonna go buy some nizoral today either way.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by z06guy View Post
    BTW what is the third item in 'the big three'
    The only big thing regarding 'big 3' is profits, billions of dollars beeing made and coming directly from the pockets of bald people. In every other way they're quasi solutions, both in the sense that they do not work with everyone and also importantly in the sense that they carry the significant risks of permanent erectile dysfunction, prostate cancer, depression etc.

Hi Tracy,

where would I go to buy spiro? I'm thinking minoxidil and spiro would be just as good as minoxidil and finasteride.
    I'm pretty sure she was talking about ORAL spiro which is very dangerous for men...

BTW what is the third item in 'the big three' I know it's minoxidil and finasteride. Is nizoral the last one? I'm gonna go buy some nizoral today either way.
    nizoral 2%, yes.
    2% refers to the active ingredient ketoconazole which is proven to help with hair loss.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoconazole#Hair_loss

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    I'm pretty sure she was talking about ORAL spiro which is very dangerous for men...

nizoral 2%, yes.
    2% refers to the active ingredient ketoconazole which is proven to help with hair loss.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoconazole#Hair_loss
    Thanks stressedtothebald for all the info but I'm willing to take the risk to strengthen my weak hairs and keep the rest of what I have. As shallow as it may sound I think my hair is what make me who I am.

Since I'm in the very early stages of MPB I just want to put a stop to it at all costs. If I start whining like a wuss or develop man boobs I'll at least say. hey, at least I tried to combat hairloss with the most effective ways first.

If all else fails, I'll retry the natural herb DHT blocker regimen

It's really a shame that it's 2012 and there's no '99%' proven way of regrowing hair SAFELY but that's a story for another topic.

2020, I've read that topical spiro is just as effective as finasteride except it only targets the DHT locally on the scalp. What is your opinion on topical spiro? Is it a prescription drug.

Sorry for these 'n00b' questions...

oh BTW this is 1% nizoral, is it good enough?

I just found out 2% is the prescription strength

http://www.amazon.com/Nizoral-AntiDa...general_recs_2

2020, I've read that topical spiro is just as effective as finasteride except it only targets the DHT locally on the scalp. What is your opinion on topical spiro? Is it a prescription drug.
    not even close... it's too weak, you'd be wasting money...

oh BTW this is 1% nizoral, is it good enough?

I just found out 2% is the prescription strength

http://www.amazon.com/Nizoral-AntiDa...general_recs_2
    This study claims that Nizoral 2% is about as effective as Minoxidil 2%:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9669136

I haven't seen any studies where they used 1% and got good results.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    not even close... it's too weak, you'd be wasting money...

This study claims that Nizoral 2% is about as effective as Minoxidil 2%:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9669136

I haven't seen any studies where they used 1% and got good results.
    Ok thanks man. You've been a great help to me. I suppose 1% is better than nothing until I get 2% from a doctor.