+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sanford-Burnham's hair-raising study - Using stem cells to grow new hair

Researchers develop method to induce human hair growth using pluripotent stem cells

http://www.genetherapy.me/skin-stem-...sing-study.php

Came here to post exactly this.

We developed a protocol to drive human pluripotent stem cells to differentiate into dermal papilla cells and confirmed their ability to induce hair growth when transplanted into mice.
    Our stem cell method provides an unlimited source of cells from the patient for transplantation and isn’t limited by the availability of existing hair follicles.
    Yeah its mice once more but its still a huge step in the right direction considering this is all human derived. They're looking for a partner before they start human trials.

Is this any different to Replicel's appraoch?

This guy Thinning87 on here is saying that he is roommates with one of the researchers and that they said the study won't be applicable to humans, and that they did this work a long time ago and have abandoned it.

Can thinning87 please explain himself? You can't just throw out casual comments like "oh my roommate is a hair researcher and knows about this" wtf???? Is this even true? How can you have a hair researcher working on DP cells as a roommate and not provide this forum with absolutely any useful information, and then throw that comment out there? Also there are many news sources picking this up, because its a big breakthrough, and you might want to enlighten them if this is meaningless.

The dude could be full of crap, it is the internet after all.

I just got an email from the insitute after asking them about it. They said the press release they just had is legit and from a couple of days ago. So yeah that guy thinning is full of crap. Or just confused somehow. The lead researcher on this is quoted as saying he's looking for partners to trial this in humans. He also says the issue of hair direction and cycling is not solved by this. I honestly think that the only thing that really remains is for a team to figure out how to combine all the tech they already have and make a reliable follicle. I don't think they will be able to avoid growing follicles outside of the body and implanting them one by one, at least for the nearish future. At some point much later, genetic techniques , and advanced use of these cells will probably result in an in-vivo cure. But I don't think a much better version of hair transplantation/cloning is that far off. Probably another ten years to really perfect these things, just as it will take another decade for doctors to make better replacement organs in other areas of the body. 100 percent sure our sons' generation will not have to worry about this stuff.

Hey Dr. Rashid, how long do you think it'll be before a realistic hair cloning procedure will emerge? Also do you have any thoughts on replicel?

gotcha

Im sure it will be more than five years for a real cloning fix. Replicel could be five though, and I hope it doesn't flop too. Many things about it seem underdeveloped and like not quite the right fix. I'm just hoping it will be comparable to propecia without the awful sides.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    Im sure it will be more than five years for a real cloning fix. Replicel could be five though, and I hope it doesn't flop too. Many things about it seem underdeveloped and like not quite the right fix. I'm just hoping it will be comparable to propecia without the awful sides.
    It's a joke they can't work out the in's and out's of a hair follicle. It's beyond belief. I'm sure one day in kindergartens across the country when kids grow hair on their paintings everyone will look back and laugh at how simple it is. There should be no need for cloning... IT'S A HAIR FOLLICLE. I mean come on, what is so hard about it? If they can't work this out then there is no hope for anything serious.

Whoever works out how to turn on and off the human hair follicle will be the most popular human of all time considering everyone is either trying to grow or remove hair from all over their bodies. Almost everyone has some kind of hair problem somewhere.