+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride Increased Dose With Great Results (Long thread but could help you)

Hey all im new to the forum here. I have been on finasteride since i was 21 years old and am now approaching 24. I started noticing thinning on the top of my head and crown around 19 and was in denial about it for a long time. The biggest difference was not only thickness, but the overall texture of my hair had changed. It went from soft thick curly hair to hard wiry thin unhealthy hair.

When i started treatment (Finasteride 1mg daily), i had a thin spot right down the middle of my head and a very big spot on the back of my head. After 4 months of treatment it was completely reversed. Over the 3 years on the medication i experienced multiple sheds.

Iv also experienced minor side effects since i started the medication (no morning wood, lower sex drive) but have pushed thru them. I still can get hard no problem so why complain?

Whenever i would have a shed i would notice the side effects would disappear almost as if the medication had stopped working. It would usually resume working within a couple weeks and the sides would return.

Last year it stopped working and i began shedding once again. I upped my dose to 1.5 mg and the shedding stopped and hair regrew.

I thought all was fine until about 6 months ago i started the worst shed ive had on the medication. I was losing around 100 hairs a day in the shower. I also noticed my erections were extremely strong again and i would wake up hard every day. My hair texture was returning to shit and was very thin again.

I had expericened this with other sheds, but this one was lasting weeks and i knew something was wrong. My sex drive skyrocketed.

I upped the dose to 2 mg for a week and nothing changed. I then upped the dose to 2.5 mg and within 2 days the shed slowed down and my hair texture went back to healthy and thicker within 3 days.... Iv been on this regimen since then and have the best head of hair iv had since starting finasteride. If i posted a pic you would tell me to delete my account on this site lol.

Iv read on this site about the studies on propecia but i think you should take a lot of it with a grain of salt. I definitely think your body can get used to your usual dose of Fin. I also think the percentage of people with sides is bullshit. All my friends that take fin have some form of side effects (Mostly minor)

I tried going back to 1mg and every time i do my erections get stronger and morning wood returns along with shedding... Even 2mg isnt enough. Dosage definitely effects how much dht is lowered, at least in my experience.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully my experience can help some of you if you have had similar experiences on Fin.

Interesting. I recently upped my dosage from 1/4 to 1/3 of a proscar pill, so i'm currently taking around 1.66mg daily. I think I've lost a lot of hair since then, so I'm hoping it's a shed and it will grow back in a few months. only time will tell, I haven't been that lucky in the past though.

Did you consult your doctor on upping the dosage? I asked mine and he discouraged it, saying it will give me risks of getting cancer (I've never heard anything of the sort online) and then told me that a lot of doctors won't even prescribe Finasteride after 35 YO for most men anyway, as you have an increased risk of getting testicular cancer

Thumbs up

@mynameisrich I didn't consult my doctor because they would have told me
    to stick to the 1 mg dose. But if i was still on 1 mg my shed would never have stopped.I still shed 40 hairs or more every shower but i'm not noticing much regression. My hair is looking good right now and i cant complain. When the medication finally stops working i'm going to get a hair transplant. As for the cancer warning i havent seen anyone mention it in anything iv read, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisrich View Post
    Interesting. I recently upped my dosage from 1/4 to 1/3 of a proscar pill, so i'm currently taking around 1.66mg daily. I think I've lost a lot of hair since then, so I'm hoping it's a shed and it will grow back in a few months. only time will tell, I haven't been that lucky in the past though.

Did you consult your doctor on upping the dosage? I asked mine and he discouraged it, saying it will give me risks of getting cancer (I've never heard anything of the sort online) and then told me that a lot of doctors won't even prescribe Finasteride after 35 YO for most men anyway, as you have an increased risk of getting testicular cancer