+ Reply to Thread

Default question about rogaine + propecia

quick background info:

just turned 24, noticed hairloss 2 years ago, didnt become proactive about it until 10 weeks ago (big mistake, us young guys should start treatment as soon as we notice MPB!)

anyways my daily regimen consists of:

2x/day rogaine
    3x/week regenepure DR (keto shampoo similar to nizoral without SLS)
    1x/day S5 cream (not sure if this actually works or not)

anyways after 10 weeks i havent noticed too much of a change, my hairline itself hasnt receded anymore or anything, i might have thinned out a little more the first couple weeks perhaps a rogaine shed, but i havent noticed any lost hairs in the shower recently

okay, as we all know, propecia/finasteride, aside from the potential side effects, is the most effective and certainly the easiest treatment available to us right now, and after months of deliberation, ive decided to take the plunge (im not sure about the efdectiveness of thia s5, hate what it does to my hair, its a hassle, and ill take the risks of the sides of propecia as an otherwise healthy and active 24 year old male). i have an appointment with my dermatologist on the 26th for an unrelated issue, and i think im gonna ask him for a prescription for propecia.

now my question is: i know that any growth gained by rogaine will disappear after quitting it, within a few months. but if i were to say, take rogaine for a year, get the full results from the rogaine, and then start taking propecia, and ultimately stop taking rogaine after the propecia started showing results, will i be able to keep all of my growth even after ceasing the rogaine treatment? if timed correctly, will the propecia prevent the dreaded rogaine shed and keep all of my growth from the rogaine? im just curious, as im quickly learning this treatment can become quite the hassle and time consuming, and im not sure if im willing to commit to a lifetime of this routine ;-(

any other thoughts, suggestions, or counter comments maybe from some of the veta on here would be greatly appreciated... thia is my first post

happy holidays everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ben lamb View Post
    now my question is: i know that any growth gained by rogaine will disappear after quitting it, within a few months. but if i were to say, take rogaine for a year, get the full results from the rogaine, and then start taking propecia, and ultimately stop taking rogaine after the propecia started showing results, will i be able to keep all of my growth even after ceasing the rogaine treatment? if timed correctly, will the propecia prevent the dreaded rogaine shed and keep all of my growth from the rogaine?
    It's highly unlikely unfortunately, because they operate by completely different mechanisms of action. The hair you get from Rogaine won't be saved by Propecia and vice versa.

What Propecia should do is prevent (or at least greatly slow down) the Rogaine results from fading as long as you continue to use Rogaine. You really need to keep using both to see the full results.