How bad is it? Adult hairline or balding?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Receedo
    • May 2014

How bad is it? Adult hairline or balding?

I'm 17 years old and have been worried about losing my hair since I was 13 after someone pointed it out that I was "baldy at the sides" I've always had an very high m-shaped hairline since I can remember, it has always restricted my hairstyling options (but I can manage it better now) my hairline over the past few years had receded very slightly at the temples making my hairline even more pronounced. It hasn't receded anymore now and seems to have stopped. My dad's hair is exactly like mines (hairline, colour, thickness) and has been for as far as I can remember. Baldness doesn't run on either side if my family the worst case is my uncle (age 50) who is a Nw2-3 with naturally thin hair but he still looks good. I'm gona wait until I'm 18 and see if things get worse before I jump onto meds as they might not be necessary atm. Any advice would be much appreciated and am I making the right choice with regards to Meds?

Here's the images : https://imageshack.com/i/n77scej
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Receedo
    I'm 17 years old and have been worried about losing my hair since I was 13 after someone pointed it out that I was "baldy at the sides" I've always had an very high m-shaped hairline since I can remember, it has always restricted my hairstyling options (but I can manage it better now) my hairline over the past few years had receded very slightly at the temples making my hairline even more pronounced. It hasn't receded anymore now and seems to have stopped. My dad's hair is exactly like mines (hairline, colour, thickness) and has been for as far as I can remember. Baldness doesn't run on either side if my family the worst case is my uncle (age 50) who is a Nw2-3 with naturally thin hair but he still looks good. I'm gona wait until I'm 18 and see if things get worse before I jump onto meds as they might not be necessary atm. Any advice would be much appreciated and am I making the right choice with regards to Meds?

Here's the images : https://imageshack.com/i/n77scej
    You are suffering from male pattern baldness. If you want a shot at stopping it, consider trying finasteride. Go to your doctor or dermatologist!

Comment

• Receedo
      • May 2014

Originally posted by Dan26
      You are suffering from male pattern baldness. If you want a shot at stopping it, consider trying finasteride. Go to your doctor or dermatologist!
      Thank you, but my hairline hasn't changed for 1.5 years though, I keep mesurements of the temples (remeasure every 3 months), photos of my hairline, there's been no change and my hairline is pretty solid so that gives me the idea that my hairline might have just matured (like a lot of young men) and may not get worse until I'm older. But if I do notice any changes I will go straight onto meds haha! And yes I've been to my doctor and he said to hold of meds ATM as I might not need them, but if things get worse (which they haven't yet) then look into them.

Comment

• Dan26
        • Jul 2012

Tru man that's what my hl looked like at one point then it progressed so just keep an eye on it...if I see even the slightest amount of progression or thinning don't waste time on startin meds because catchin it before it gets bad is the #1 most important thing to do to put the odds in your favor

Comment

• Receedo
          • May 2014

Tru man that's what my hl looked like at one point then it progressed so just keep an eye on it...if I see even the slightest amount of progression or thinning don't waste time on startin meds because catchin it before it gets bad is the #1 most important thing to do to put the odds in your favor
          Do you think my hairline looks bad? This sort of hairline does run in the family though but I know it doesn't mean that I won't go bald, but it's an indicator of what may be in store for me (hopefully haha) I guess I'm somewhere around Nw2 right? I know it may look worse but my childhood hairline started about 6cm in the middle and 7cm at the sides (temples) and once got told I had a forehead like a watermelon haha!

Comment

• mpb47
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Receedo
            Do you think my hairline looks bad? This sort of hairline does run in the family though but I know it doesn't mean that I won't go bald, but it's an indicator of what may be in store for me (hopefully haha) I guess I'm somewhere around Nw2 right? I know it may look worse but my childhood hairline started about 6cm in the middle and 7cm at the sides (temples) and once got told I had a forehead like a watermelon haha!
            Your hair doesn't look bad at all to me. It could stay that way for years before it progresses, just no way to be sure other than pics. Over time you should know for sure. good luck.

Comment

• Age30 NW3
              • May 2014

Your hairline is dented. That's the bad news. But your hair is thick. That's the good news. There is no way to predict whether you will lose more hair. Make sure to live a super healthy, stress-free lifestyle and you will minimize any future loss.

Comment

• Receedo
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Age30 NW3
                Your hairline is dented. That's the bad news. But your hair is thick. That's the good news. There is no way to predict whether you will lose more hair. Make sure to live a super healthy, stress-free lifestyle and you will minimize any future loss.
                Yeah my hair dresser said that haha, she told me that I didn't appear to have a progressive thinning pattern and said lots of guys as they reach the end of puberty recede at the temples. She also has to thin my hair out when I get it cut haha 😜 Tbh I think I'm overacting I know guys who are like nw3-4s at my age and I'm complaining about what may be my adult hairline, but I think most young guys would worry, god Mark Wright and Chris Evans (actor) think they're going bald 😒

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

At this point I think you have a good plan. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then decide whether you want to try meds. I wouldn't panic at this point.

Comment

• Receedo
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                    At this point I think you have a good plan. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then decide whether you want to try meds. I wouldn't panic at this point.
                    Nah I'm not really, N3/4+ baldness doesn't run in the family but who knows with my luck haha! But I'll never go bald young haha, I just wouldn't let myself, I'd go straight onto treatments haha. But my hair's super thick the now so I'll just wait and see how things go. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Comment

• Dan26
                      • Jul 2012

most ppl your age dont have that much recession but if ur lucky it is just the way your hairline is. it is the thinning which you need to be on the lookout for..if u see thinning hairs in the front or crown then its gonna go

Comment

• Receedo
                        • May 2014

most ppl your age dont have that much recession but if ur lucky it is just the way your hairline is. it is the thinning which you need to be on the lookout for..if u see thinning hairs in the front or crown then its gonna go
                        Yeah but most guys are generally born with low straight hairlines, which I wasn't so if they're gona recede it's not gona be as noticeable as mine. Like tbh honest I think I look like a nw3 but if you were to measure the amount I lost I'm probably only a nw2 it's just the Norwood scale isn't a completely reliable way to measure baldness because there's people born with extremely low hairline and extremely high hairlines. But I'm not an expert on the matter haha but again thanks man :-)

Comment

• Abdullah
                          • May 2014

You have mentioned that you are only 17. From your picture it seems to me that you have already loss enough hair. I think you should consult with a doctor. You should take action as soon as possible.

Comment

• Receedo
                            • May 2014

Originally posted by Abdullah
                            You have mentioned that you are only 17. From your picture it seems to me that you have already loss enough hair. I think you should consult with a doctor. You should take action as soon as possible.
                            I've been to a doctor they said my hair is thick and there's no signs of progressive thinning, my hair dresser said that too haha! I feel that I'm getting mixed opinions here. And to clarify I've not lost that much hair my hairline has always been m-shaped (I'm not kidding) but it receded a little and has stopped for ages I've got a timeline of photos to prove there's been no change as I'm a bit obsessive that way. And if my dad and his brothers came on this form at my age of 17 they'd be told to get on meds for no reason as they still have a full head of hair despite the hairline! I'm just gona keep taking pics and comparing every little while and if things begin to go bad then I'll start meds, but there's other things I'd rather spend my money one than trying to prevent possibly a minimal amount of hair loss over the next few decades. But thanks man I really appreciate your time and concerns :-)

Comment

Working...