I'm getting the side effects!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UK_
    • Feb 2011

Finasteride sides usually occur when you come off the drug hence the term "post finasteride syndrome" (PFS), you'll experience a period of around 12 - 21 days of normal DHT levels and then you'll experience the dreaded crash - unfortunately, if this occurs there's no telling how long it takes for your entire endocrine system to normalize - if it ever does.

Comment

• chrisis
      • Feb 2012

What a dangerous drug!

Comment

• skipstah70
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by hairysituation
        Hello! I started on genric Proscar 5% (cutted in to 4 pieces) today and I've already experienced impotence. My dick is impossible to get hard and I have tremendous testiculary pain! What should I do??
        Are you sure it's not just in your head? Spencer says it's all in your head... it must be in your head... you know psychosomatic stuff. It's just in your head... just don't think about it.. it will go away. It's in your head!!

Comment

• seattle30
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by skipstah70
          Are you sure it's not just in your head? Spencer says it's all in your head... it must be in your head... you know psychosomatic stuff. It's just in your head... just don't think about it.. it will go away. It's in your head!!
          Haha, ya I think ive heard him say something like that. I rarely listen to his show but have heard him talk about pfs and some of the things I was hearing him say I definitely did not agree with.

I think I heard him say something like "show me the science." He's correct that we don't know the underlying mechanism of why pfs is occuring, I think its pretty clear the persistent sides are iatrogenic. In women hormonal contraception use can result in sexual health problems even after cessation. I don't know why its so far fetched to believe that a drug that inhibits 5a reducatase could cause sexual health problems(and cognitive) after discontinuation as well. From what I have read Dr. Irwin Goldstein, along with Dr Irwig and Traish all believe it is pretty clear that 5 alpha reductase inhibitors are causing this to happen.

This "its all in your head" argument is like telling someone who is deaf that not being able to hear is a psychosomatic problem. Or telling someone with a severe case of hypothyroidism that in order to lose weight they just need to go to the gym more.

Comment

• BaldinLikeBaldwin
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by UK_
            Finasteride sides usually occur when you come off the drug hence the term "post finasteride syndrome" (PFS), you'll experience a period of around 12 - 21 days of normal DHT levels and then you'll experience the dreaded crash - unfortunately, if this occurs there's no telling how long it takes for your entire endocrine system to normalize - if it ever does.
            see when you post things like this you have to show us the references

Comment

• 25 going on 65
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by seattle30
              "Its all in your head" haha what a total joke. Finasteride is a dangerous drug which has detrimental side effects, some of which cognitive, which I think may tend to get overlooked.

http://www.andrologyjournal.org/cont...5-524-f02.jpeg
              Finasteride saved my mental health and my sex life.

Comment

• Maradona
                • Nov 2011

Well my prostate is ****ed after taking propecia, either my head made my prostate get some serious inflammation or fin causes my hormones to deviate wildly from baseline which caused my my prostate inflammation (NOT ENLARGEMENT which is a different thing) .

I keep telling myself it can't be the propecia ! It's just coincidence that while I took it my prostate started to get ****ed. It has to be !

Either way, now I have to live with this BS until the day I fukin die.

Comment

• fab
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Maradona
                  Well my prostate is ****ed after taking propecia, either my head made my prostate get some serious inflammation or fin causes my hormones to deviate wildly from baseline which caused my my prostate inflammation (NOT ENLARGEMENT which is a different thing) .

I keep telling myself it can't be the propecia ! It's just coincidence that while I took it my prostate started to get ****ed. It has to be !

Either way, now I have to live with this BS until the day I fukin die.
                  Can you elaborate this more please? What exactly inflammation is that you got? Did you do any exam/ultrasound, if so which one? What does BS stand for? Thanks!

Comment

• fab
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by UK_
                    Took it for 10 years. In my 8th (sort of) year I had abstained for a couple of months because it ran out and I was waiting shipping, had no problem, no PFS, nothing... nevertheless, not saying PFS couldn't happen, with Fin anything can happen I guess, just saying my experience

Comment

• Aston
                      • Apr 2012

Speaking of Post Finasteride Syndrome: while finasteride isn't a steroid, it has steroidal action. After taking a look through a few bodybuilding sites, i noticed they follow specific therapies whenever they have to stop using a steroid, precisely to keep their endocrine system from going haywire in the aftermath and related permanent issues. At the same time, they regularly take antiestrogens to avoid side effects typically seen in finasteride and attributed to estrogen excess.
                      So why do doctors never prescribe antiestrogens with finasteride (very low doses would cause no side effects in men and prevent gynecomastia and the like without fail), or post-steroidal hormone normalization therapies? Tapering out sounds exactly what should be common knowledge to do when stopping to take a steroid-like drug, at least!
                      Last edited by Aston; 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM. Reason: Trying to save the grammar

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Aston
                        Speaking of Post Finasteride Syndrome: while finasteride isn't a steroid, it has steroidal action. After taking a look through a few bodybuilding sites, i noticed they follow specific therapies whenever they have to stop using a steroid, precisely to keep their endocrine system from going haywire in the aftermath and related permanent issues. At the same time, they regularly take antiestrogens to avoid side effects typically seen in finasteride and attributed to estrogen excess.
                        So why do doctors never prescribe antiestrogens with finasteride (very low doses would cause no side effects in men and prevent gynecomastia and the like without fail), or post-steroidal hormone normalization therapies? Tapering out sounds exactly what should be common knowledge to do when stopping to take a steroid-like drug, at least!
                        Sigh - the fact that we are resorting to playing with our hormones to save hair says it ALL.

I bet 50 years from now, hairloss sufferers would look back and think - "...that was so barbaric"

Comment

• WashedOut
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
                          Sigh - the fact that we are resorting to playing with our hormones to save hair says it ALL.

I bet 50 years from now, hairloss sufferers would look back and think - "...that was so barbaric"
                          For some of us the DHT is doing more harm than good. I haven't confirmed it yet but there's something seriously unbalanced with my current hormone situation. I have low T and yet all signs of high DHT wreaking havoc on my body. The worst part is I have little to no muscle and my libido is average at best. DHT is giving me nothing (besides the bad stuff like body hair, oily skin) and taking everything.

Comment

• fab
                            • Mar 2012

Good thought. Estrogen levels deftly go high (i had measured in december and it was way higher than normal range but doc said it was not alarmfull) I then went to another doc for sexual dysfunction due to side effects and explained the Finasteride situation, he didnt even measure my estrogen/ estradiol. When asked why, he said it wasnt necessary

Comment

• Aston
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by fab
                              Good thought. Estrogen levels deftly go high (i had measured in december and it was way higher than normal range but doc said it was not alarmfull) I then went to another doc for sexual dysfunction due to side effects and explained the Finasteride situation, he didnt even measure my estrogen/ estradiol. When asked why, he said it's irrelevant. Well, I believe as a doctor he must be knowledgable.
                              I had two doctors deny me estrogen tests until i printed "Gynecomastia results from an altered estrogen-androgen balance, in favor of estrogen, or from increased breast sensitivity to a normal circulating estrogen level." together with the wikipedia description of finasteride's action!

When i get off finasteride, not only i will taper it of across many months, i will also stock up on the post-steroid therapy meds...

Comment

• fab
                                • Mar 2012

I had two doctors deny me estrogen tests until i printed "Gynecomastia results from an altered estrogen-androgen balance, in favor of estrogen, or from increased breast sensitivity to a normal circulating estrogen level." together with the wikipedia description of finasteride's action!

When i get off finasteride, not only i will taper it of across many months, i will also stock up on the post-steroid therapy meds...
                                Yeah even with the docs telling me that, I still started taking DIM 8 weeks ago as an effort to low the levels. Gyno scares the shit out of anyone. That being said, I'm about to see a third doc, this time a different doc, a urologist, and will try to get more answers, see if I can get more tests done.

I'm not a doc but I believe you must be extremely high in estradiol to get Gyno, I was/am high but not as these body builders.

Comment

Working...