23 and just got transplant/ south florida - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 23 and just got transplant/ south florida

I started getting a receding hair line and thinner hair around 18 years old. It totally sucked, fortunately I am somewhat of a witty guy so I was able to retaliate amongst friends/classmates when they would make jokes. Regardless around 21 years old, the thinning got worse so I really had no option but to buzz my hair every 3-4 months, which really helped a lot.

I spent a lot of time debating/researching hair transplants, but at 23 years old, I finally went through with the operation. It was the right time to do it since I had just graduated college and didn't start my job, I could avoid people noticing my hair transplant, because you have pretty obvious red dots on your head for about a week, and you get stitches from wherever they took the donor hair.

I went to Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton and am pretty happy with the procedure. It is still too early to see results, but the redness where the "graphs" were put are no where near as bad as the ones you see on youtube (which initially through me off to the operation). Really the only bad part about the procedure is when they put the anesthetic in, it kinda feels like someone pulling your hair but like in the opposite direction, but the whole process only takes like 5 minutes. After that, the hardest part is just sitting down for 5-6 hours but you do get to watch movies and 1/2 way they brought me lunch and I got to use the bathroom.

After the surgery, when the anesthetic wears off you kinda feel a little soreness like your wearing a really tight headband and there is a bit of inflammation (well for me anyways) but you can either take hydrocodine or like 3 tylenals which makes it not so bad.

After doing research for about a year I found Dr. Charles has much better feedback and lower prices the Bosley, so if you are in South Florida I would definitely recommend him. If you would like to email me in a few months when my results come in, you can contact me at tlb05f@fsu.edu. I'm not hear to BS anybody, I would just gladly share my story with anyone because I know I was nervous as hell before my procedure.

What was your op date?

it was just yesterday lol so no results yet but im supposed to rest the next week or so and i'm going to try and get some pictures posted.

Quote Originally Posted by tlb05f View Post
    it was just yesterday lol so no results yet but im supposed to rest the next week or so and i'm going to try and get some pictures posted.
    No worries. Mine was on the 23rd and 25th of August. Now goes the ugly duckling phase

Also, how many grafts? FUT or FUE? (Assuming FUT)

Just curiously how much were you guys charged per graft on linear harvest?

Hi there, thanks for sharing your story. I'm 25 and my hair is starting to thin out on the top of my head and lately have been considering a hair transplant myself.

I'd be interested to see how the healing phase and results turn out if you're willing to share it with us. How many doctors did you go and see before you decided? Do you have before and after shots you're willing to share? How expensive was it and also does the procedure require multiple visits? Do you have to take any long term medications like propecia for the transplanted hair to stay?

Thanks and hope you can answer my questions.

Mine was a 2 day event and cost $6k. Healing went great. I had next to no scabbing and at 2 weeks the majority of the transplants have continued to grow. I'm told they will still go dormant and fall out, but that was a positive sign that they survived the transplant. I've before and after pics that I'll post when the results are in

That's a good price. In a consultation they said $7,500-8,700 for 1000-1500 grafts. Is that too much??

Quote Originally Posted by dgman21 View Post
    That's a good price. In a consultation they said $7,500-8,700 for 1000-1500 grafts. Is that too much??
    Mine was cheaper because summer is typically the slow season, so they knock a dollar per graft off. If I did it right now it would have been $8k

2112 grafts and it was FUT.

I'm gonna get around to putting up pictures in the next few days.

Yea I do think that is a little expensive, I also think I got a better deal due to somebody canceling at the last minute and we agreeing to show up at 8:00 am a little more than 12 hours notice.