+ Reply to Thread

Default Resolution: do clinical research into hair loss

The last two years have been the craziest in my life so far.

Among the many developments, my hair. At 23, I had an unbelievably thick amount of hair. My hair line was essentially flat and I would not have believed it if anyone told me that I would lose it all shortly.

I turned 25 a few months ago and I also just passed NW3. Now I am slowly approaching NW4. Of course, having tried propecia, Rogaine, bimatoprost, and other products, I have come to accept my hairloss. Most of us have. But this adventure has also shown me an interesting area to lead my life next.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I would like to become a medical doctor. I was already decent at most pre-med classes in college, but I instead pursued my engineering career.

I want to revisit medicine, but with a new purpose: to perform research into hairloss with the aim to perfect stem cell hair restoration. If I get anywhere with it, I will not patent my findings and will do my best to make any treatments as cheaply available as possible (possibly overseas if there are too many hurdles here in the US).

I started preparing for the MCAT (signed up for a prep course too).

Thanks for being there for the last two years everyone. I need your support to get through this next great challenge in my life and to stayed focused. Let me depend on you and soon you can depend on me.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paradigmshift View Post

Among the many developments, my hair. At 23, I had an unbelievably thick amount of hair. My hair line was essentially flat and I would not have believed it if anyone told me that I would lose it all shortly.

I turned 25 a few months ago and I also just passed NW3. Now I am slowly approaching NW4. Of course, having tried propecia, Rogaine, bimatoprost, and other products, I have come to accept my hairloss. Most of us have. But this adventure has also shown me an interesting area to lead my life next.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I would like to become a medical doctor. I was already decent at most pre-med classes in college, but I instead pursued my engineering career.

I want to revisit medicine, but with a new purpose: to perform research into hairloss with the aim to perfect stem cell hair restoration. If I get anywhere with it, I will not patent my findings and will do my best to make any treatments as cheaply available as possible (possibly overseas if there are too many hurdles here in the US).

Thanks for being there for the last two years everyone. I need your support to get through this next great challenge in my life and to stayed focused. Let me depend on you and soon you can depend on me.
    Just my opinion, should you make a breakthrough discovery, I think you should protect that discovery. You never know when you or your family could actually have a real need for money down the road and it would be a shame to have someone else cash in on all of your hard work. A major breakthrough in hair loss treatment will be worth billions. Research is definitely fascinating. I think a good place to start is with an in-depth look at existing treatments and find ways to improve their effectiveness.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by paradigmshift View Post

So, I assume the treatments didn't work for you? May I ask how long you took each?

I started with absurdly thick hair; my hair was so thick girls would comment on it and run their hands through it. At 23, like you, it hit hard. Now, I'm freshly 26 and I can't tell how I'm doing. I think the loss is slowed and possibly halted (using baseline pictures for comparison), but sometimes I really question it.

I love your ambition and I, like other forum members, can certainly appreciate the wonderfully positive impact you would have on the lives of many men.

BigThinker,

I have been losing 100-250 hairs a day (the mode is around 130) for the last year. I started losing in early-2012 and now I am a NW3.

I have been on 5% minoxidil since mid-2012. I used finasteride for 6 months in 2012. I stopped finasteride because my hair loss rate had not gone down and I was definitely experiencing the side effects. Instead, I started using bimatoprost since last June (2013).

I think bimatoprost has made a lot of individual hairs thicker, but the daily loss rate has not gone down and my hairline is definitely still receding. A lot of my daily lost hairs look really thick and they have a nice bulbous roots. I also lose quite a few hairs which have strangely kinky roots almost as if the follicle can not decide whether to give out or keep going!

I plan to continue with minoxidil and bimatoprost. I think my hairline will continue receding. My crown is intact, but I have started seeing diffuse thinning on the sides.

Maybe you didnt give finesteride the one year mark? Also have you considered oc000459 my friends havin success on that. Most people also having success on Ru58841.