+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Sorry for all the questions

Hi people

Apologies if posted in wrong forum..
    Have put in Hair Loss/Start Topic too.

First off, sorry for all the questions... Hope you can help me though

I'm a fairly youngish, just turned 49 year old and have got to a stage in my life, where I no longer sleep, eat and breath normally anymore, just because of HAIR loss!!!?

3 long term relationships over, pretty stressed out times, and starting getting thin on the crown couple of years ago, but nothing to get bothered about as it covered over OK.

Over the last year it's been slowly getting worse, and I'm not convinced that the concealers haven't speeded things up but now I can't live without them. Even though mostly they end up on the pillow every morning now.

Saw my GP, no sympathy there and the usual 'There's a lot worse things than losing your hair' speech which I really don't need, Worse than that, I went to see a dermatologist who I paid £180GB for the privilege of being told 'When you're older you won't even care about it, use Regaine'. And that angered me loads, People just don't get it. I don't suppose it helped that he had little hair on his head, and you would maybe expect that from him, I don't know, but not for that money, Some people just really don't get the effect it can have.

In the last couple of months it's gone berserk and only really noticed just how bad this week, that it's basically falling out all over, hairline, and the area inbetween that and the crown now. I've no idea why so quick but I HAVE to do something. It's just looking thinner than I ever imagined it would get so quickly.

OK, I'm not in my teens anymore, but my brother lost his early and he had a long time to get used to it. When it happens in your 40s, because you're used to having hair it's more of a surprise I think.

I don't want to promote smoking in any shape or form, but I gave up 3 months ago, and I've lost more hair in this period and in super speed than ever before. Coincidence? I know they say smoking is affects the blood circulation etc...

I'm not great on any drugs, I have a sensitive stomach to most drugs, even pain killers and anti biotics so have avoided Propecia because of it, but I'm now at the stage where I've never actually been so depressed in my life, and I know it's selfish and a lousy thing to say, but you guys can relate to it.

What do I do and what do I take first? Can I take quarter of the Propecia, or half?

I used to use Nizorelle, which was the 1% version of Nizoral, and that was good, but they stopped making it sadly, and now I only have Nizoral which I can't use anymore because it was chucking hair out like no tomorrow, Is there a milder shampoo I should be on? What's Revivogen like, or Regensomething?

What is RU and the difference between that and Regaine?

Propecia produces more testosterone, Is that right, Isn't that something that bumps up hairloss?

Because it's speeded up so much I'm guessing you will say I should get on to both Propecia and the Regaine, but then how would I know what would work? I don't get a lot of luck with taking stuff so feel I will not be that lucky with sides, but can you please give me some advice.

Also, I put concealers in my hair every day now, and don't wash it every day, Does that affect anything do you know and would Regaine not work if it's mixed with concealer or do I have to wash hair every day, morning and evening before applying?

My hair colour is med brown, but I've got some grey too, but why the majority of falling hairs now looks to be the grey ones?

Thanks for listening, and please give some advice to me. Anything I can do right now, to stop this or take something to get back what's gone in last few years. Plus what important vitamins do you get on first off

Just typing this now and noticing hairs on shirt, one on laptop and it's like that every day now. Can't even look in a mirror any more, and have that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach every day

One last thing, does everyone who's had a HT still HAVE to take Propecia and use Regaine

Wow that was a lot but I am going to try to touch on everything, starting with quitting smoking...

Though it may seem contradictory, giving up smoking may have induced a temporary shed as your hair follicles are being fed clean blood now. If that is the case, the hair that shed out should start growing back in a few months or so.

The hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss is DHT, not testosterone itself.

The two proven medications that are FDA approved to stop hereditary hair loss and regrow some lost hair are Propecia (Finasteride) and Rogaine/Regaine (Minoxidil). Between those two, Finasteride is the most important because it blocks the formation of the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss (DHT). Minoxidil stimulates hair that can grow back to grow back. These medications work very well when used together along with Nizoral shampoo. This regimen is know as "The Big 3".

Nizoral shampoo should only be used once a week. If you can get the 1% version, you can use that up to twice per week - but not more often than that. Over using nizoral or any other Ketoconazole shampoo can make your hair loss worsen.

The other shampoo's you have mention are just other brands that contain Ketoconazole as an active ingredient. The amount of Ketoconazole that is in those other brands is in question and has not been legitimately confirmed.

It is a good idea to replace your regular shampoo and conditioner with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. If you use Nizoral only once per week as you should, your exposure to the sulfates in it is insignificant.

It is a good idea to ramp up to your doses slowly over time. This is generally true of almost every medication. So your thinking is on the right track there.

It takes a really long time to treat hereditary hair loss. If you started on full doses today it typically takes a full 12 months before you will know if your treatment is doing you any good. Obviously if you are ramping up that will take longer - but ramping up is still a very good idea. Try not to think about it during that time. Just move on with your life as best you can while you are treating it and hope for the best.

I do not know what kind of concealer you have been using but I do know that Dermmatch does not cause hair loss to worsen.

The safety and efficacy of RU is questionable. There is no good data available concerning the safety and efficacy of RU. Many young guys have jumped on the RU bandwagon - many of whom don't even have MPB. They post "before and after" pictures that look exactly the same - so this muddy's up the available info even further.

Did that touch on everything?

dude i'd be so happy if i could even keep my hair till forty dont be too sad... nobody really judges you for losing your hair at that age, im guessing it probably makes you feel old but just look at all the young guys around here in their early twenties and some even younger who are already being confronted with their youth being gone before they even got to live it.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    dude i'd be so happy if i could even keep my hair till forty dont be too sad... nobody really judges you for losing your hair at that age, im guessing it probably makes you feel old but just look at all the young guys around here in their early twenties and some even younger who are already being confronted with their youth being gone before they even got to live it.
    yea....

It's not really 'gone' though is it. You can still retain your youth with or without hair...

Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post
    OK, I'm not in my teens anymore, but my brother lost his early and he had a long time to get used to it. When it happens in your 40s, because you're used to having hair it's more of a surprise I think.
    That's not only total bollocks, having lost my hair mid 20's and a lot of other guys on here in their teenage years, I kinda felt insulted by that one.
    Like losing your hair young, means you're not used to having it all previous years of your life. Like losing your hair at 50 is more unexpected than in your teenage years/20's?
    75 % of the people on these fora would give their right hand to keep their hair until they are 50 and hairloss is deemed a natural way of life.

I agree with Morbo. Losing your hair in your 40s is expected. Losing your hair in your teens, early, or mid twenties stands out and is shocking because you are in a small minority.

Hey .

Dont be sorry. The only stupid question is the one we dont ask.

I am 46 years old and just opted for my first hair transplant.

Post up some photos of your head so we can see what is going on for you dude.

There are folks on here who are experts who can tell you what your next move is.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    That's not only total bollocks, having lost my hair mid 20's and a lot of other guys on here in their teenage years, I kinda felt insulted by that one.
    Like losing your hair young, means you're not used to having it all previous years of your life. Like losing your hair at 50 is more unexpected than in your teenage years/20's?
    75 % of the people on these fora would give their right hand to keep their hair until they are 50 and hairloss is deemed a natural way of life.
    im only 22 and already NW2.5 diffuse thinner. I see exactly what your saying here and I too think that all these guys in the late 30's and 40's etc posting about hairloss are a bit strange as surely by then they've at least had the years to go out, party, get laid be young find girlfriends/wives with no hair loss issues. They can now go bald gracefully with no one really caring or making jokes as it's normal to lose hair by that age. I, like many on here am going to have to go through my young years bald, sticking out like a sore thumb. Like many others, I have to put up with peoples fascination with my receding hairline as it is not normal to lose hair this young. I'm not saying older guys anxiety's about hairloss aren't real, because they obviously are very real, but they really don't have as much to worry about, they've had their hair days.

I dont recall the guy trying to insult anyone. He came here because he is worried about his hair loss. Just like everyone else.

To him, its devastating. Thats all we need to know. We dont need to compare it to other guys losing their hair earlier or later. Its not about them.

This case is about this guy. Lets try to help him.