+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Using propecia if you're not balding?

Hey guys! Went to a hair transplant doctor today to get my hair checked out. He tugged and looked at my hair. Long story short, he said he doesn't believe I'm balding. I feel a little bit better, considering this is the second doctor who's told me this, but this doctor offered to prescribe me propecia just so I would stop worrying about my hair all the time.

Anyway, my question is, other than the regularly discussed about side effects, what harm could taking propecia as a preemptive defense against balding bring? Could it, for example, cause hair sensitivity to dht in the long run?

Btw, here's a bonus question. The hairs on the lower back part of my head are thick, black, and curly. The hairs everywhere else are kinda medium brown, straighter, and somewhat thinner. The doctor said it's normal for hair thickness and texture to vary across the scalp. What are you opinions on this?

Thanks!

If you're not balding, I wouldn't understand why you want to take the risk of getting side-effects (not matter if it's a 1% chance or a 10% chance). If in time you really see you're hair receiding, and I guess you'll watch it closely, you can still consider it.

Also, you could do a lot of fun things with the money saved from not buying these pills. Have fun with that !

Doctor Representative

Default Propecia

If I was the patient, I would never want to take a pill unless it is needed. Propecia is awesome but- if it was me, I would wait until I had early signs of hair loss to start it. What about other guys in your family? Brothers, dad, uncles etc. What's their hair like?

And yes - it is normal to have different textured hair on different areas of your scalp. For instance, you will notice everyone's hairline has finer hair than other parts of their scalp.

Good Luck to you!
    I am a representative/patient advisor for Dr. Glenn Charles. All of my posts are my own personal opinion based on working in the industry for the past several years.
    www.charlesmedicalgroup.com valerie@charleshair.com

Well, as far as family history goes, only my paternal grandfather is bald. My dad passed away when he was 33 so it was far too early to tell how he was gonna end up, but everyone I know says he had a head full of curly hair and none of his brothers are balding. As far as my mothers side goes, its ridiculous. Absolutely no hair loss. We have a bunch of NW1 80 year olds.

The reason I'm worried is because a friend began to lose his hair about a year ago which caused me to hyper analyze my hair. Eventually I began to think I was thinking on top but idk.

The reason I wanna take fin is for the peace of mind. Knowing that I'm doing something to prevent it would take a load of my back. I'm just afraid of it backfiring and accelerating hair loss lol. I'm also aware that fin sometimes causes a shed, so I'm kinda prepared for that, I just don't want to regret my decision.

Jesus man... Atleast wait until you actually have SOME sign of hair loss.

There is no need to subject yourself to risk needlessly. Absolute insanity.

It is crazy to take Propecia if you're not balding. The drug can have serious side effects (google it and read all the horror stories), not to mention the fact that it is expensive and most likely would not be covered by your insurance. Personally, I don't think it would be ethical for a doctor to prescribe Propecia if a patient was not balding or experiencing a prostate condition.

It is great that two doctors looked at your hair and confirmed that you are not balding. I think you should break out the champagne and congratulate yourself on your good luck. If you are concerned about hair loss due to a family history, monitor your hair, and perhaps go back to the same doctors in a year and reassess. Continue monitoring on yearly or six month basis. MPB is almost always a very gradual process. If you ever do develop signs of hair loss you can always decide then whether Propecia is worth the risk.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your input. I think I may get on a very small dosage just in case. I'm think about trying .25 mg of fin twice a week like some of the posters have done on this board.

Here are some pics immediately after a shower. Just some disclaimers, i have a double whirl on my crown and a cowlick along the right side of my hairline. I also posted some pics of the donor area of my head for comparison. What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20130529_4.JPG

Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	22501   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130811_019.jpg

Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	22502   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130812_005.jpg

Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	22503   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130812_012.jpg

Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	22504   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130812_013.jpg

Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	22505   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130812_014.jpg

Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	22506   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130812_015.jpg

Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	22507   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130812_016.jpg

Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	22508  

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticyouth View Post
    Here are some pics immediately after a shower. Just some disclaimers, i have a double whirl on my crown and a cowlick along the right side of my hairline. I also posted some pics of the donor area of my head for comparison. What do you guys think?
    Shave it all off and give me your follicles. Youre nowhere near the depressing point that some of us are at. You are living a life of privilege. Come the day you hit NW3 is when youre going to really start shitting bricks and hope that someone, somewhere will give a shit about your hair loss.. god forbid for your sake that it never happens to you.

Seeing some of the young guys on this forum come in with so much paranoia makes me want to run out to research clinics and rip everyones head off for working at a snails pace to find a viable treatment for actual hair loss sufferers.

Thank your lucky stars you have the peace of mind to go out looking and feeling good while women check you out. The rest of us have to live a life of complete bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticyouth View Post
    Looks thin, but you could have naturally thin hair for all I know. You should know how your hair has been in the past and how it is now. If you do have MPB, it's diffuse thinning, so the doc can't do much with you.

Go see a dermatologist if you're not sure.