+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is minoxidil causing wrinkles?

Is this stuff prematurely aging us..

Im worried about this since im still young but am noticing what it seems like premature wrinkles when compared to my friends faces..

Apparently minoxidil depletes or decreases the collagen in your skin and not only your face but everywhere since it travels through the blood stream.

Here's a site where people are saying just that..

http://www.publichealthforums.com/h-33-minoxidil.html

If true then how annoying.

Finasteride breaks my dick. Minoxidil breaks my face.

I'm not religious, but it's like a big **** you from the guy upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Is this stuff prematurely aging us..
    This nonsense again? I've been using Minxodil for over four years now. If Minoxidil caused premature againg, women would never touch the stuff. More women need to use Minoxidil than you realize. It hasn't aged me one tiny bit. I look more than ten years younger than I actually am.

I swear there is someone out there trying to scare people away from using legitimate treatments for hereditary hair loss.

Yeah i don't believe this too. We have enough to worry about, we don't need to add this myth to our problems. Minoxidil works and the maybe the wrinkles are coming from all the worrying from hairloss!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    If Minoxidil caused premature againg, women would never touch the stuff
    Funny you mention that because this is exactly what this women's skin site is worried about..

http://www.savvyskin.com/does-rogaine-cause-wrinkles

Im not advocating whether it does or doesn't, i too have been on it for the past 4 years, im just worried that its causing a decrease in the collagen in my face..

Do people on this stuff notice this kind of skin deterioration or is it another "how can you prove its minoxidil or just age"

This study suggests that minoxidil does in fact decrease collagen:

"Collagen synthesis
    Two groups have studied the effect of minoxidil on collagen synthesis. Murad and Pinnell48 showed that minoxidil suppressed activity of the enzyme lysyl hydroxylase in human skin fibroblast cultures at concentrations down to 25 lmol L)1, leading to pro- duction of a collagen deficient in hydroxylysine.49 This appeared to be specific for lysyl hydroxylase as the activity of prolyl hydroxylase, which shares the same substrates and cofactors as lysyl hydroxylase, wasunaffected. Minoxidil (0Æ5 mmol L)1) also suppressed collagen synthesis by rat vibrissae dermal papilla cells, both in monolayer cultures and in cells grown in collagen gels.50 The concentrations of minoxidil used in these studies were quite high and the relevance of the results to hair growth is unknown".

http://www.dslaboratories.co.uk/spec...oxidilMech.PDF

Ok. Don't take it then. I don't know why people keep coming here and telling us this drug does this and this one does that. Some people here have nothing better to do but keep telling us how bad Finasteride is and how it's the most dangerous drug ever made.... The same thing is going on with Minoxidil. Here and on other forums people keep telling us Minoxidil makes your face look like shit and makes you look older.... Ok. DON"T ****ING USE MINOXIDIL OR FIN. It's not like we're kids here. We know what the hell we're doing and all of us -I'm assuming- can make our own decisions. Why don't people get it? Talk about a topic that hasn't been discussed like 10 million times.

And like I said before, I'd rather look 70 with hair than look young with no hair (bald), that is IF you can ever look young when you have a balding head.

People on Ask a patient report as side effects of Rogain, among other things

headache, foggy, feeling, sudden weight gain, loss of sex drive, premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, weakness, booby chest, raised blood pressure, soft erecions, extreme anxiety, lethargy, severe heart palp, stiffness in neck/choking sensation, insomnia, loss of size of penis over 3 month period................................

Its all on
    http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...H%20(FOR%20MEN)

Ok seriously!! Whats up with hairloss medication and side effects??

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Some people here have nothing better to do but keep telling us how bad Finasteride is and how it's the most dangerous drug ever made....

Ok. DON"T ****ING USE MINOXIDIL OR FIN. It's not like we're kids here. We know what the hell we're doing and all of us -I'm assuming- can make our own decisions. Why don't people get it? Talk about a topic that hasn't been discussed like 10 million times.
    If it's been discussed 10 million times, then it begs the question why. There must be more to the side effects phenomenon than the 2% figure (on par with placebo) that Merck publicly states. It's therefore important that men are aware of this before they start the drug. If Merck aren't going to do it, who will?

We're here to share experiences and learn. Without the former, there's no latter.

As mentioned it does effect collagen synthesis but just don't go smearing it on your face and you should be fine. No biggie. Tends to cause a knid of bloated appearance more often from what I've read. But its safety profile is very good.