Minoxidil and propecia first, then wean off minoxidil? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil and propecia first, then wean off minoxidil?

I've been reading about different hair loss treatments: from what I understand so far the specific action of minoxidil is not properly understood but it has been shown to be effective in regrowing hair. I'm thinking, if after a year or so of minoxidil and propecia usage there has been successful regrowth would it not be possible to preserve that hair with propecia and slowly wean off the minoxidil? Or is the minoxidil superfluous if one is using propecia anyhow? I've read on this forum the opinion that there's no point in introducing both propecia and minoxidil simultaenously, it's better to wait a year with propecia alone to see the results before considering minoxidil. Is this the commonly held view?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

There are some doctors who feel the combination is more effective than either treatment alone. There is always the concern if a patient comes to see a doctor and has already been using Minoxidil. There is no problem adding Propecia to the regimen. However, there is a concern that if the Minoxidil was actually preserving some hair, and the doctor recommends discontinuing its use that there might be a sudden fall out. Most would recommend that if you have been using both products together and have been relatively stable, than you should probably continue without making any changes.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

The two are synergistic so dropping one will cause hair loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26031764

Currently on Finesteride (11 months) and Minoxidil pill form (3 months). Prior to that I was using 5% Minoxidil foam daily which I was told to discontinue. I am now at my worst state of hair loss and losing hair at a faster rate. My hairline is beginning to recede and I have front center balding areas. I am at a point where I cannot go out without using colored hair powder to hide the spots. Since neither pill is working and I feel the Minoxidil pill is just making me shed more, I’d like to discontinue them. I am seeing my hair loss doc in a couple of weeks to discuss this but would like a second opinion. I’ve already tried PRP to no success and don’t think I can handle another shed going back to Minoxidil foam. I’m thinking of trying Spironolactone again (worked somewhat before), which this doc also had me discontinue when I began the Finesteride last July. I just feel like giving up on this whole weak attempt in keeping my hair and would like to do and know all I can to prevent another shed. So, how do I ween myself from both meds? Will this cause another shed? Does beginning Spiro cause a shed? Going to throw in that I am 38 year-old female which personally sucks more than being a 38 year-old male going bald. Sorry fellas but it true. Women are criticized so easily for their appearance and are expected to not have balding problems.