+ Reply to Thread

Default Herbal DHT blockers vs Finasteride.

From my understanding Herbal DHT blockers do not interfere with the production of testosterone or 5 alpha- reductase, they simply stop the interaction creating DHT thus lowering DHT levels.

The reason why propecia inhibits sex drive and performance and causes other potential sides effects is because it actually inhibits the production of 5 alpha-reductase which you do need to gain a lot of muscle mass and have a strong sex drive as it works synergistically with testosterone in the body. In many cases it appears as if the side effects go away after stopping use. (Ideally you would gradually lower your dose month by month until you finally stop using it)

Now everything below is totally off topic:

I almost bought finasteride a few weeks ago and actually almost bought it again today but decided against it for now. I figure my current regimen should at least help keep what hair I have and possibly grow back new hair. For the past month or so I've been on a herbal DHT blocker called hairomega but I'm using it in conjunction with kirkland minoxidil 5% and more recently nizoral 1% ket. The funny thing is that hairomega 3 in 1 is more expensive per year than the finasteride I found on 4rx.com... Logic says switch to the FDA approved finasteride but I want to believe the herbal DHT blocker is working.

I've lost a lot of fine little hairs since starting minoxidil and hairomega a month ago so I'm assuming the hair follicle will go into a rest phase and then come back stronger. The funny thing is that it doesn't really look like I've lost any hair at all and I'm still at the same nw1.5/2 hair that I started with.

I've realized the nizoral is kinda drying my scalp and causing flakes (honestly thought it was from kirkland at first) I'll probably use less often. I don't get any itchy feeling though. I may also buy minoxidil foam for morning use since Tracy says it's more stealthy and non greasy.

I'll try this out for awhile and see if I get any results.

Quote Originally Posted by z06guy View Post
    From my understanding Herbal DHT blockers do not interfere with the production of testosterone or 5 alpha- reductase, they simply stop the interaction creating DHT thus lowering DHT levels.
    Oh man! not this herbal stuff debate again

No no I should also add that I'm not an expert nor am I looking to debate. This is just from what I've gathered from researching online the past few days.

Also herbal DHT blockers don't seem to be powerful mainly because they don't inhibit alpha 5 reductase. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's necessarily safe or as effective.
    Last edited by z06guy; 03-15-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added info

Heh.

If you actually could inhibit the production of 5AR your body would probably shut down physically and mentally.

Finasteride and many other "herbal" DHT blockers *bind* to 5AR (Type II or I, mostly II) so it cannot in turn bind to testosterone and create dihydrotesterone, progesterone and a few other hormones.

5AR is an enzyme not a protein or a hormone. It has no direct effect on libido or protein synthesis on testosterone use.

Herbal DHT "blockers" are simply less potent/weaker then finasteride - they do exactly the same thing. For some people thats enough to do the trick. Not everyone needs to inhibit 60-70% 5AR to get the effect desired.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Heh.

If you actually could inhibit the production of 5AR your body would probably shut down physically and mentally.

Finasteride and many other "herbal" DHT blockers *bind* to 5AR (Type II or I, mostly II) so it cannot in turn bind to testosterone and create dihydrotesterone, progesterone and a few other hormones.

5AR is an enzyme not a protein or a hormone. It has no direct effect on libido or protein synthesis on testosterone use.

Herbal DHT "blockers" are simply less potent/weaker then finasteride - they do exactly the same thing. For some people thats enough to do the trick. Not everyone needs to inhibit 60-70% 5AR to get the effect desired.
    Ahh thanks for that clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Often times when you buy "natural" products they don't use the correct ratio of product to filler. What I mean is that often times like with Saw Palmetto for instance a lot of companies us a 4 to 1 ratio of fillers to actual ingredients. The key is to look for a natural dht blocker that uses a 1 to 1 ratio. Really thats the most important thing for getting a natural product to work.