+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default My MPB hypothesis.

I have been doing alot of reading lately about MPB since I read the study that implicated PGD-2 as the cause of it. One thing that stood out to me in that study was that there was an enlargement of sebaceous glands in balding areas. All of this reading got me wondering why in all of the cures and studies, no one has addressed why the side of our head never go bald.

To me it seems very simplistic.. what does the top of our head get that the rest of our head doesn't, A LOT OF SUNLIGHT. I found that an Indian doctor had implicated UV as the reason for MPB and wrote a book about it, unfortunately he wants like 300$ for the book, so I never got to read it. Upon more of my own research I came across this study: http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc...523-p00536.pdf which suggests that larger/more sebaceous glands may cause higher uptake of ALL testosterone, including DHT in balding scalps, than non-balding. It also proves that DHT is not really the culprit, ALL TYPES of testosterone are. Also, you can find studies that prove UV rays absolutely increase sebaceous glands.

My theory is this... Over years of our heads being exposed to the sun, many sebaceous glands continue to form. The more that form, the more the hair follicles are being blocked, and the more testosterone uptake there is. Since the sebaceous gland is pulling excessive testosterone into the follicle, the follicle will die or have a shortened anagen stage. Maybe the follicle even gets damaged so that it malfunctions by the process above.

Different thickness of hair, conditions, proximity to the sun, hair style, diet, etc would all effect the quickness which balding set in. Personally, I always had thin hair, I always kept it short, I had a bad diet, and my MPB set in when I was 17.

Has anyone tried medication that shrinks sebaceous glands, along with Minoxidil or something? I have read that Retin-A is proven to increase efficiency of Minoxidil.

From the study: "It has been reported that bald scalps contain larger sebaceous glands than hairy scalps (19) and since sebaceous glands are believed to be target organs for androgens (20) this may in part account for the greater uptake of testosterone by bald skin"

Quote Originally Posted by youngin View Post
    I have been doing alot of reading lately about MPB since I read the study that implicated PGD-2 as the cause of it. One thing that stood out to me in that study was that there was an enlargement of sebaceous glands in balding areas. All of this reading got me wondering why in all of the cures and studies, no one has addressed why the side of our head never go bald.

To me it seems very simplistic.. what does the top of our head get that the rest of our head doesn't, A LOT OF SUNLIGHT. I found that an Indian doctor had implicated UV as the reason for MPB and wrote a book about it, unfortunately he wants like 300$ for the book, so I never got to read it. Upon more of my own research I came across this study: http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc...523-p00536.pdf which suggests that larger/more sebaceous glands may cause higher uptake of ALL testosterone, including DHT in balding scalps, than non-balding. It also proves that DHT is not really the culprit, ALL TYPES of testosterone are. Also, you can find studies that prove UV rays absolutely increase sebaceous glands.

My theory is this... Over years of our heads being exposed to the sun, many sebaceous glands continue to form. The more that form, the more the hair follicles are being blocked, and the more testosterone uptake there is. Since the sebaceous gland is pulling excessive testosterone into the follicle, the follicle will die or have a shortened anagen stage. Maybe the follicle even gets damaged so that it malfunctions by the process above.

Different thickness of hair, conditions, proximity to the sun, hair style, diet, etc would all effect the quickness which balding set in. Personally, I always had thin hair, I always kept it short, I had a bad diet, and my MPB set in when I was 17.

Has anyone tried medication that shrinks sebaceous glands, along with Minoxidil or something? I have read that Retin-A is proven to increase efficiency of Minoxidil.

Could a healthy diet help to reduce over active sebaceous gland? Perhaps.

I think it would. I haven't researched anything specifically that will shrink them, but I am positive that the growth hormone in Milk stimulates the sebaceous glands. This has been proven in studies of Acne. Anything that boosts testosterone or HGH will stimulate your sebaceous glands. Including heavy weight lifting. That doesn't mean not to do it. I think the point is not to be exposed to the sun for too long at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Yah, its so ridiculous that's why a doctor wrote a book about it...
    http://www.quithairloss.com/new-book.html

And study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19138021

2020 is such a genius. He has figured out the problem its PGD-2. LOL. Read the studies you asshole.

Yah, its so ridiculous that's why a doctor wrote a book about it...
    http://www.quithairloss.com/new-book.html
    yup... that's how it always is. Some "doctor" has a cure for something and it's available to everyone for just $29.99!

Anyone can write a book you idiot

it's funny how the opposite is actually observed: northern europeans bald like crazy with little sunshine and there is little baldness in all those south american countries. Amazing how australian aborigines have virtually no baldness.

are you ****ing kidding me? sunshine causes baldness??? take your crap to IH forums

2020 is such a genius. He has figured out the problem its PGD-2. LOL. Read the studies you asshole.
    I didn't figure that out. Scientists did back in 2007. When you apply PGD2, follicle shrinks. It's not actually all PGD2 either. Upregulated inflammation in general is probably the cause of baldness. Even his patent describes a way of treating baldness by just using a COX-2 inhibitor... More than one person has reversed baldness by reducing inflammation

There's no proof of the cause in any study. PGD-2 may very well be a bi-product of the real CAUSE. Your guesses are just as hypothetical as mine. Blaming PGD-2 doesn't explain why hairs on the side of our heads don't suffer the same as the top, and also why hair transplants WORK. So quit pretending like you know it all. Did you even read the first study I posted?

There's tons of factors that could cause one persons scalp to have more or less sun exposure than another persons. I guess no one in northern Europe ever gets skin cancer either huh? Use your ****in eyes and do some research as to what causes cancers and acne. The possible causes of cell mutation are endless. Enlighten yourself. You sure are stupid for someone who thinks they know everything.

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v1...d2008418a.html Read up jackass. Now dispute that study please while I laugh at your stupidity.

There's no proof of the cause in any study. PGD-2 may very well be a bi-product of the real CAUSE. Your guesses are just as hypothetical as mine.
    right, inflammation. PGD2 is directly responsible for shrinking follicles. The real cause of elevated PGD2 is probably inflammation and not ****ing sunshine.

Blaming PGD-2 doesn't explain why hairs on the side of our heads don't suffer the same as the top, and also why hair transplants WORK. So quit pretending like you know it all. Did you even read the first study I posted?
    oh thanks for mentioning that - WHY don't they respond to "sunshine damage" then?

There's tons of factors that could cause one persons scalp to have more or less sun exposure than another persons. I guess no one in northern Europe ever gets skin cancer either huh? Use your ****in eyes and do some research as to what causes cancers and acne. The possible causes of cell mutation are endless. Enlighten yourself. You sure are stupid for someone who thinks they know everything.
    amazing... prostate cancer is linked with baldness and lack of sunshine is linked to prostate cancer. Nothing fits

by the way:

We are aware that it is rather unlikely that normal human hair bulbs are exposed to UVB doses as high as 20 or 50 mJ cm−2 in situ. Therefore, we do not claim that our model imitates the actual in vivo situation.

so what is your solution to this? Avoid sunshine?