+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I'm only balding at the temples/hairline. Should I take Fin?? If not, what?

So I recently ordered 30 pills of Fin to see how it will effect me (side-effects wise) Here is a picture of my hairline. What Norwood do you think I am?? I'm 23 years old and balding fast.

My question is, will Finasteride combat hairline balding?? If not, there is no use for me to take it and risk the side-effects. This in mind, what else can I take? What is the best for temple/hairline balding that won't make me go broke? (Something I can buy, preferably, for under $50.)

I need something proven and reliable for hairline and temple balding. I appreciate the responses very much. I have done research, but I can never tell what is legitimate and what is a company simply advertising, so I come to you all!

Thanks again.
    Johnny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG001579.jpg

Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	15339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG001580.jpg

Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	15340  

So I should be using..Minox, Nizoral, and Fin?? Are all of these good for just balding at the temples??

It is natural and normal for males to loose temple hair. Therefore it is not likely that any medication can stop that natural and normal male trait.

I can see in the photos you have provided that you are thinning in the mid-anterior area. If this bothers you, you should talk to your doctor about starting treatment that includes Propecia, Rogaine and possibly low level laser therapy. If you decide to use Rogaine, focus your application in your mid-anterior area. You can dry the medicine off your fingers in your temples if you want to. Just keep your expectations realistic. It is not likely going to work in your temples.

Yeah, you should get on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It is natural and normal for males to loose temple hair. Therefore it is not likely that any medication can stop that natural and normal male trait.

I can see in the photos you have provided that you are thinning in the mid-anterior area. If this bothers you, you should talk to your doctor about starting treatment that includes Propecia, Rogaine and possibly low level laser therapy. If you decide to use Rogaine, focus your application in your mid-anterior area. You can dry the medicine off your fingers in your temples if you want to. Just keep your expectations realistic. It is not likely going to work in your temples.
    Gah, temples/hairline are my biggest issues. Thanks for the input! I'll probably skip the doc for expense purposes and go online.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yeah, you should get on those.
    Will do once I can afford them

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBBald View Post
    So I recently ordered 30 pills of Fin to see how it will effect me (side-effects wise) Here is a picture of my hairline. What Norwood do you think I am?? I'm 23 years old and balding fast.

My question is, will Finasteride combat hairline balding?? If not, there is no use for me to take it and risk the side-effects. This in mind, what else can I take? What is the best for temple/hairline balding that won't make me go broke? (Something I can buy, preferably, for under $50.)

I need something proven and reliable for hairline and temple balding. I appreciate the responses very much. I have done research, but I can never tell what is legitimate and what is a company simply advertising, so I come to you all!

Thanks again.
    Johnny
    To answer your first question, I'd say you might be a NW 3-ish with some diffuse thinning. Meds will help you retain your temples and hairline and have a good chance of thickening up the top of your scalp, but advancing your hairline and temples appreciably with meds is near impossible for most men.
    To save money, I recommend getting a prescription for 5 mg finasteride tablets (generic). Cut each pill into fourths and take one fourth each day.
    Ketoconazole (Nizoral) shampoo and minox are good supporting treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    To answer your first question, I'd say you might be a NW 3-ish with some diffuse thinning. Meds will help you retain your temples and hairline and have a good chance of thickening up the top of your scalp, but advancing your hairline and temples appreciably with meds is near impossible for most men.
    To save money, I recommend getting a prescription for 5 mg finasteride tablets (generic). Cut each pill into fourths and take one fourth each day.
    Ketoconazole (Nizoral) shampoo and minox are good supporting treatments.
    Guess I'd better start now then before it's too late! Good call on the 5 mg. Are you sure that's safe?? Are they made the same as the 1mg ones?? I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post

According to Bernstein Medical, Finasteride not being able to grow hair on the front is a myth.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...a-finasteride/

Common Misconceptions about Finasteride

Myth: Women can’t touch the medication.
    Fact: Pregnant women should not handle crushed or broken tablets.

Myth: It only works in the crown.
    Fact: It potentially works any where on the scalp where there is some hair, even in the front of the scalp.

Myth: Once you start it you must take it for ever.
    Fact: You can stop the medication any time you want – you just lose its benefits when one stops.

Myth: Finasteride lowers testosterone
    Fact: The medication, on average, causes a rise in serum testosterone levels by 9%.

Myth: The sexual side effects are frequent.
    Fact: The sexual side effects occur in approximately 4% of patients taking the medication.

Myth: Finasteride causes birth defects if a man takes it when his wife is pregnant.
    Fact: Exposure of pregnant women to semen from men treated with Propecia poses no risk to the fetus.

Myth: Propecia was originally a prostate medication that was found to prevent hair loss.
    Fact: Propecia is not a prostate medication that was by chance noted to have a side effect of hair growth, it is a medication that was known since its discovery that it could grow hair.
    Also Rogaine/Minoxidil:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/
    Minoxidil should be applied to the scalp twice a day. The medication only works if it is in direct contact with the scalp (not the hair) and only works in areas where it is applied. Therefore, it is important to use the medication in the front part of the scalp if this is an area of thinning.
    From Dr. Bernstein himself.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7364

There is some misinformation being passed around suggesting that hair loss medications (finasteride and minoxidil) are not effective in growing hair in the front part of the scalp. With our patients’ permission, we have posted the results of treatment with Propecia and Rogaine to show that medications do work well in many cases. It is important to note that most patients have used the medications consistently for at least a year to achieved the desired results.

Below are some examples of Bernstein Medical patients who have treated their hair loss with medication alone. Visit the Bernstein Medical website to see additional before and after photos of medical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBBald View Post
    Guess I'd better start now then before it's too late! Good call on the 5 mg. Are you sure that's safe?? Are they made the same as the 1mg ones??
    Yeah it's safe, a lot of people use this method including me.

PatientlyWaiting, those are really nice results

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    According to Bernstein Medical, Finasteride not being able to grow hair on the front is a myth.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...a-finasteride/

Also Rogaine/Minoxidil:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/

From Dr. Bernstein himself.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7364
    These are strange findings, I just bought 5% minoxidil and it says that it is for the vertex and that it may not work for other places. It says it is not intended for frontal baldness or receding hairline. Anyway, I'll give it a go and see if it works or not!

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Yeah it's safe, a lot of people use this method including me.

PatientlyWaiting, those are really nice results
    I was thinking about taking just .5mg to start, to see if I have any side-effect symptoms. I'd have to take a minimum of 1.25 with this method, unless I cut my 5ths into halves, which is probably cutting it too small to be accurate, lol.
    I may just buy bulk 1mg from 4RX and cut them to be safe/on the cheap side.

and here is my "vertex" maybe I should be putting it here too. It doesn't really seem to be thinning yet but maybe a bit, who knows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG001584.jpg

Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	15341