+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default just trying to get info

Hi community,

I saw this forum and thought this is a great place to get information on HTs. About me, well I am in my early 40s and just thinned in the front but still have enough that nobody makes the balding jokes. My father and grandfather went bald and on my mother's side, the women have thin hair or even lost it as well but the men in our family still have decent coverage.

What makes me relunctant with the HT is that I see the horror stories about the scars and people not happy with the results of it. I saw the Bosley informertial recently and saw online all the customer's complaints. With me, I am active duty military and wouldnt like to have my HT transplant scar visible since I fade my hair on the sides.

I am hoping for hair cloning or hair multiplication to become the defacto standard in HT or when scientists find the hair loss gene for alocepia. Also, the big thing that I notice is that pricing is never discussed out in the open. I would like to know the average pricing (and I know its all based on the amount of hair lost) on people who usually have an inch of a receding hairline and/or temple hair lost.

I seen some people in the military with some hackjob HT with the frankenstein scar in the back and its totally UNSAT. I wouldnt want to waste my money on that. Also, alot of soldiers go full baldie with hair loss but I rather have something on the top.

Anyway, that is an idea about me and I like the info on this website about shampoos and propecia. I do use rogaine at the current moment.

from a combat vet that fought in both wars.....

Quote Originally Posted by canigetawitness View Post
    Hi community,

I saw this forum and thought this is a great place to get information on HTs. About me, well I am in my early 40s and just thinned in the front but still have enough that nobody makes the balding jokes. My father and grandfather went bald and on my mother's side, the women have thin hair or even lost it as well but the men in our family still have decent coverage.

What makes me relunctant with the HT is that I see the horror stories about the scars and people not happy with the results of it. I saw the Bosley informertial recently and saw online all the customer's complaints. With me, I am active duty military and wouldnt like to have my HT transplant scar visible since I fade my hair on the sides.

I am hoping for hair cloning or hair multiplication to become the defacto standard in HT or when scientists find the hair loss gene for alocepia. Also, the big thing that I notice is that pricing is never discussed out in the open. I would like to know the average pricing (and I know its all based on the amount of hair lost) on people who usually have an inch of a receding hairline and/or temple hair lost.

I seen some people in the military with some hackjob HT with the frankenstein scar in the back and its totally UNSAT. I wouldnt want to waste my money on that. Also, alot of soldiers go full baldie with hair loss but I rather have something on the top.

Anyway, that is an idea about me and I like the info on this website about shampoos and propecia. I do use rogaine at the current moment.

from a combat vet that fought in both wars.....
    I forgot to add about my price concerns. I am from NYC and I know doctor's have to charge alot due to the overhead they deal with out there. I see that there are alot of HT Docs in Florida as well and curious if their prices are less than the ones up North. Perhaps there is a reputable doc in a small town that doesnt charge that much but perhaps there isnt enough clientele in that area to keep a business going. Anyway, that was something I wanted to discuss about as well.

Hair transplants are a miracle today, if you can afford it.

Be extremely careful which doctor you choose, hair transplantation is a huge skill. Make sure you get one with an IAHRS member, if you are going to do it. Then FURTHER research the doctor.

If you don't want a scar there is always FUE. If I had the dough I would personally get a hair transplant with Dr. Cole from forhair.com he is extremely good and he is one of the most experienced doctors out there.

There are some good doctors. But they are rare, so be careful. Are you currently on propecia?

Canigetawitness, thanks for your service. I sleep much better with folks like you on the watch. I think the answer you’re looking for should be forthcoming as the doctors do frequent this forum. Many of the doctors do have pricing on their websites. I would suggest visiting them for several reasons, the type of procedures they perform, results, and also pricing. As a general rule I think you will find some consistency with pricing vs. type of procedure with little variance dependent on amount of graphs needed. On large sessions over 2k graphs sometimes a discount is given. But even on procedures less than 2k a .50c difference can add up quickly. People fly from all over the world to get procedures from the best, highly recommended doctors, so they don’t come cheap.

Most doctors do have an online consultation form to fill out as well a place to upload pictures. Make sure you’re a good candidate. I would suggest getting several opinions, take notes, compare consultations, and stick to IAHRS surgeons, as they have been documented with consistently good results. http://www.iahrs.org/SearchDoctor.asp

Since I have no idea of the extent of hair loss you’re experiencing perhaps adding Finasteride to your daily regime could be initially all that is needed?

Take it from someone who knows firsthand - it is your head. You only have so much hair to work with and it will be for the rest of your life, do not allow expense to be the deciding factor! It is best to budget, if needed, than have a botch job then have to see one of these doctors down the road for a proper repair. Research, research, research……

As KeeptheHair noted, a FUE procedure would probably be the best bet for you if you like to keep your hair short and want to avoid a linear strip scar. HT surgeons typically charge by the graft and the price per graft can range greatly (I've seen as low as $3 to $15 or more). FUE prices per graft will typically be more expensive than strip but the overall cost will be more comparable than you might think because you tend to get more hairs per graft with FUE. You don't want to select a clinic just because they're the cheapest (particularly having seen some bad transplants first-hand yourself) but also don't think you need to pay $12+ for a great transplant. Our Atlanta clinic currently charges $8 a graft for shaven CIT (Dr. Cole's FUE method). Most clinics will be quite open about pricing if you just give them a call.

heresjohnny dispensed a lot of great advice in his post. You definitely want to check out a few IAHRS surgeons and submit photos for an online consultation. This way, a doctor will be able to evaluate your hair loss, personal hair characteristics and goals, and be able to give you a recommendation for how many grafts you may need and also help you create a long-term plan for any continued hair loss.

I'd also second the idea of looking into starting finasteride and trying it for 6 months to a year prior to jumping into a hair transplant.

Default thanks for the responses

Sorry I havent replied quicker but I am stationed overseas and been running around after my re-deployment and I truly appreciate the kind remarks.

I have been looking at the hair transplant videos on youtube and looked at the supposed HT scar of Jamie Foxx (if that was a donor site). I dont know what you mean by FUE but I figure its a better option. I see some doctors use a fine tooth comb on the back of the head to show how light the donor scar could be.

http://www.************.com/FORUMS/m...ighlight_key=y

well, when I come back to the States next year and have that one month leave; I think it will be a good time to take care of it.

Default FUE Technique

I found it here on youtube. This DR is all over youtube. The guy from entourage scar shows real bad and what a shame he didnt do this.

Default photos

ok here are my pics

any reps can provide insight on level hair loss and cost?

From the pictures, while not well lit you appear to still have a good head of hair. I would look into giving propecia (finasteride) a try but you'll need a script and /or Rogaine (minoxidil) which is over the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnny View Post
    From the pictures, while not well lit you appear to still have a good head of hair. I would look into giving propecia (finasteride) a try but you'll need a script and /or Rogaine (minoxidil) which is over the counter.
    lol yeah these are indoor pics. the outdoor pics are more noticeable (post those soon). Since my hair is wavy is easier to cover the gaps but my hair line has receded about an half of inch.

I think I can do what this guy did. I saw it on youtube yesterday. Its similar to my loss.