+ Reply to Thread

Default Finally need to make a change

I wish I had heard about this site sooner, but to be honest denial has dug me into a deep hole and I just recently started researching about hair loss.

I'm 23 and I am in graduate school. I honestly can't remember the last time in life that I had a full head of hair. In high school playing lacrosse I would wear a bandanna, but I'd get comments about my receding hairline. Neither of my parents have had issues with losing hair and my brother's is fine as well. In the last couple years it has really gotten to me and I am in the same boat as a few others that I have read about on here. I wear a hat everyday, I avoid social situations, and I simply don't enjoy the same things in life that I used to. Friends started to notice how I changed and I would always say and believe that it was something else.

I've always worn my hair parted and that worked for a long time, but now it has receded enough that its just ridiculous. I have honestly come to terms with the fact that I need to cut my hair and I think I'll feel free from all a lot of the anxiety I have built up about it. The problem is only my closest friends and colleagues even know it is this bad. A lot of my friends from undergrad and high school have no idea. The idea of just running into them with no hair just bothers me beyond belief. I know I should be confident no matter what, but that is always easier said than done.

I just recently went to the doctor and he recommended using minoxidil for a few months before trying something like finasteride. I am honestly at the point where I do not see the lost hair coming back, but preserving whats left could be a small victory.

Sorry for the rant and the redundancy, since I have a lot of the same issues that others have mentioned on here. I appreciate that anyone would read this and simply putting myself out there has already made me feel better.

Same boat dude, I'm 21. And venting really does help , haha, that's sorta what therapists get paid to listen to. In addition I made a similar post here a year ago and I know I felt better. But, anyway, You may as well go on the the meds. If your going to spend a lot of time and energy fixating on how shitty hair-loss is you may as well do something proactive. ...at least that was my reasoning when I started using minox and finasteride.

Also, I did shave my head one time to idk "face my fears" , haha, and it was sorta therapeutic in a way. You might just want to try it once. It makes you realize that it's not THAT bad.... ....and at the very least getting ready in the morning is a hellva lot faster...lol .....even if your head is a bit lopsided -.-

The bottom line is aaaaa lot of people are dealing with this BS. Also try not to let it affect your life too much, hard as that sounds. Keep partying ect. A life with the occasional comment and awkward moment, is better than no life. Dbag will be Dbags. **** em

I'm 21 and posted my story a few days ago. It feels really good just to vent.

I'm also in the same boat where I don't want to confront anyone about my decision to buzz/shave my head. I finished my undergraduate degree today so I'll be going home and doing it there. That way I don't have to deal with every single person asking/commenting to me about it.

Now I just need to build up the courage and actually do it...

Welcome to the forum bswh4! Cutting your hair can be very liberating and like Layercake said, for some guys shavings is not that bad. You can always start on the meds during this time and if they work well for you great, but in the meantime you’ll be getting used to your new look. You never know, you might just like it and if you hate it there are always other options down the line.

Just in the last few days I've spoken with my parents and some of my good friends about how much of an impact this has had on my life and for the most part they've been very supportive. My mom simply told me to go to a hair stylist, ha she doesn't quite understand that you need hair to have it styled. I plan on getting it cut in the next few days. I am in the middle of finals and I have an important interview next Friday, so it is pretty much a perfect storm right now.

Honestly the thought of going running or playing sports without worrying about my hair makes me want to get it cut right now. I have spent way too long being so self-conscious and losing any of my confidence. I am not even close to the person I was when I was younger and that needs to change. I used to be a very optimistic and out-going person, but for the past few years I focused on the negative things in life and really wondered what all the effort was for. I was in a 3 year relationship and while we were together my hair got worse and a few months ago we broke up because she had been seeing someone else (after 2 yrs it became a long distance relationship). I know I can't blame my hair for that happening but I can guarantee the fact that I had no confidence whatsoever was unattractive and too much for her.

Although I've always had a receding hairline I had noticed the last few months that it was thinning a lot more where it had not been before. After a while it was beyond anything like it had been. Just yesterday I saw a doctor and he believes that the antidepressants I have been on since last Fall could have caused this. Although it is a 1% side effect he explained that for people that already have thinning hair it makes them a lot more susceptible to it. I've read about others blaming hair loss on medication, but has this happened to anyone else?

Welcome bswh4.

I've been bald longer than I have had hair!

My hair is now as short as it was when I was around 8 years old. Short all around. People will def notice my hairline now (or lack thereof) but it looks a lot better then it did before. I wasn't fooling anybody and this looks much more professional. Now I just need to fight the urge to put on my hat everyday when I walk out the door.

Can't believe I actually went through with it and got it cut. Nervous/Liberated.

right on man. hows getting ready in the morning? haha way faster/better?

Although it is a 1% side effect he explained that for people that already have thinning hair it makes them a lot more susceptible to it. I've read about others blaming hair loss on medication, but has this happened to anyone else?
    Yes, I've heard about this before. It's why anti-depressant drugs don't work for people losing their hair.

Do you really think you can put up with your new look for the rest of your life, which could be 60 years? I'm not sure I could be bothered with that to be honest. If I was you, I'd have been at KFC for about four hours by now!