+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's worse, being bald or...

...wearing fake hair and living in fear of someone looking too closely or someone shouting, 'hey, he's wearing a toupee!'

I think the latter is what sometimes puts me off.

Depends on your lifestyle.

I think if someone worked in an office and was his own boss and lived a steady normal life that is stable and stuff lolol then a hairpiece is a good idea.

But if your like me 20 and you have friends and exercise a lot and run and swim and just be a young guy then a wig is def not an option.

But to be honest. If I had to choose between being completely bald and wearing a piece...Id really want to go for the piece. I hate the bald look. Under the sun or so it completly exposes your skins bad areas. When you have hair there is a soft shadow over your face always. Looks way better.

I don't like the bald look AT ALL.

But then again its much better than being exposed... I remember when I was a kid and watching a movie and then a lady gets her hair torn off and everyone laughs and its funny...but its not funny anymore lol...

It's a tough choice and I think it is just something that has to fit your life. Persoanlly id rather have thinning hair than no hair. My hair is still good enough to wear, even kinda lenghty. But not for long if finasteride and rogaine doesn't help me...

Very interesting reply. Thanks.

I do think you have an advantage over me, that you're 20 and I'm 37.

Guys who are 20 can have a really thick hair system and no-one bats an eyelid, yet if I had thick hair people might suspect.

Also, at your age, you can comb your hair forward, thus disquising the hairline. Whereas for a man nearly 40, if I had my hair combed forward I might look slightly stupid.

I think the older the man gets, the less hair he should have and of course the lower the density of the piece.

That does make sense.

Pitty though. I would buy one heckova huge hair system

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    That does make sense.

Pitty though. I would buy one heckova huge hair system
    Go ahead, you might like it!

I still have enough hair for now :P

btw nice pic!

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    I still have enough hair for now :P

btw nice pic!
    Yeah, I know. Ha, but it ain't me.

Society's immaturity and the demanding maintenance of a hair piece are enough to put me off. I'm just looking forward to the cure which, believe me, is well on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    Society's immaturity and the demanding maintenance of a hair piece are enough to put me off. I'm just looking forward to the cure which, believe me, is well on the way!
    Odd how they've never found a cure, though.

I'm not sure I agree. I think it's surprising any treatments exist at all to be honest.

Hair loss is a genetic condition and like all genetic conditions it has historically been impossible to cure and difficult to treat. I think the recent discovery of a gene that promotes hair miniturization demonstrates that this is going to be one hell of a bugger to defeat (which is why hair cloning, which doesn't take on genetics head on, is probably our best bet)!

The only way to beat baldness will be to either work around the genetic defect or to manually perform the role the genetic defect is stopping. Hair transplantation does the former, whilst Histogen will hopefully do the latter. I think we are incredibly lucky to be alive today and not 100 years earlier, because the only good thing about being bald in the past was the shorter life expectancy.

Personally, I don't understand how baldness has been able to spread in the first place. Quite what allowed evolution to lapse so spectacularly is one of the mysteries of science. Those of us who are balding are less attractive, tend to be psychologically damaged and have no defence against the sun on our scalps yet we've survived through history. Somehow there must be a lot of blind women out there (my girlfriend included)! You might say this devastating gene is one bad ass motherf*cker.

However, one way or another, it will be defeated. My generation are going to be the last in the family line (no plans for children from any of us), so our bald genes will go to our graves. I think it's a solution; 99.9% of bald men disagree!