+ Reply to Thread

Default Am I in a position to use Minoxidil?

Hi Guys,

I've noticed I've been thinning up top for the last few months and am starting to get to the point where I want to do something about it. I'm 21 years old.

It's mainly my crown area although I have receded a fair amount at the temples also. I'm honestly not so bothered about the temple area but I am a bit paranoid about the crown.

I've done a bit of research and am aware about the two main solutions... Minoxidil and Finasteride (Propecia).

I've pretty much decided against Propecia but am considering using Minoxidil. I'm from the UK so I'd be looking at Regaine or similar.

I've seen it mentioned here and elsewhere however that some people aren't necessarily in a position (hair loss wise) to use Minoxidil, so I've attached some pics.

Would you say I'm in a suitable position to be using Minoxidil?

Thanks and any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

I would say that. Minoxidil 5%

Quote Originally Posted by mathmoose View Post
    Would you say I'm in a suitable position to be using Minoxidil?
    Yes you are.

Do yourself a favor and taper up to the full twice a day dose. Start with Regaine foam and use it once a day every other day about two hours before your bedtime. Do that for about three to four weeks. Then use it once a day every day for the next three to four weeks. After that, use it once a day every other day and twice a day every other day for the next three to four weeks. After that, use it twice a day every day as directed. If you decide later on to stop using Minoxidil, taper off of it the same way in reverse.

It would be a good idea to replace your current shampoo and conditioner with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner if you haven't already done so. Also, start using Nizoral shampoo in place of your regular shampoo once a week. You might also benefit from using a laser comb every other day.

Take good quality photos before you start. Then take more photos after you have been using Minoxidil twice a day every day for a full six months. Then again after a full year. Make sure these are good quality photos so you will be able to determine if you are responding to treatment - and how well you are responding.

Until you grow enough hair back to cover that area, you can use Dermmatch to conceal it.

Thanks and any thoughts and comments are appreciated.
    Minoxidil does work. However the single most important component of treating hereditary hair loss in males is Propecia - because Propecia blocks the formation of the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. Minoxidil does nothing to block the formation of this hormone. Attempting to treat hereditary hair loss without doing anything to reduce DHT is a very steep uphill battle.

Your genetics will determine if Minox will be enough. Also mpb can vary in it's aggressiveness over the years. At times it will be rapid and other times very slow or completely stop. My crown starting forming in my late 30's and it was too aggressive for Minox to do any good at first. I had to use Fin to stop it. After a couple of years I got sides and had to get off of it. Interesting enough at the same time everything came to a crawl and minox was all I needed again.
    If you look at my picture you can see my crown over a 10 year period. 8 of those 10 years were minox alone. And the last pic had more loss because I went off minox for about 3 months prior and lost some hair. So it is still working... Good luck!

Thanks for the replies everyone and to Tracy for your extra advice.

One thing I should point out actually is that the first picture was taken about one month after the second, and the second was taken about two months after the third. So there's about a 3 month gap between the first and third picture. It doesn't seem too much worse but I'm not sure.

About 1 month ago I changed shampoo thinking that that might be the culprit. I switched to Nizoral back then and to Alpecin for the days I wasn't using Nizoral. After doing some research since then I realize Alpecin really has nothing to offer but figured it was just something different.

Tracy, I was going to ask about tapering up to the full dose so thanks for that. Presumably the reason for doing this is to minimize shedding?

Also, could you please clarify something:

You said: "Start with Regaine foam and use it once a day every other day about two hours before your bedtime. Do that for about three to four weeks. Then use it once a day every day for the next three to four weeks. After that, use it once a day every other day and twice a day every other day for the next three to four weeks. After that, use it twice a day every day as directed."

I'm unsure about the bolded sentence. Do you mean to alternate between using it once and twice a day? If you could clarify that would be great.

I do appreciate Propecia is the best way to tackle hair loss at the cause but I'm really resistant at the moment. The side effects worry me and also it's quite expensive in my current situation. Arguably if my hair loss was more of a concern to me my opinion might change on this but for now, as I say, I'm hesitant.

Thanks again for replies everyone.

Okay fair enough, thanks. I had only looked at one supplier for Propecia here in the UK and it worked out to like £500 for a years supply, and half that for Proscar. But yeh, prices along the lines that you suggest would be fine... I'm still not prepared to risk the side effects though at this point in time.

Tracy, I was going to ask about tapering up to the full dose so thanks for that. Presumably the reason for doing this is to minimize shedding?
    That is correct.

Also, could you please clarify something:

use it once a day every other day and twice a day every other day for the next three to four weeks. After that, use it twice a day every day as directed."

I'm unsure about the bolded sentence. Do you mean to alternate between using it once and twice a day?
    Yes. For example, Monday = once PM, Tuesday = twice AM & PM, Wednesday = once PM, Thursday = twice AM & PM and so on.

Once you are on the twice a day dose, you can save money by using generic liquid Minoxidil for your evening dose. I would recommend continuing to use the foam for your morning dose because it is more stealthy, easier to use and dries much faster. All these benefits combined are also better than liquid if you decide to conceal your hair loss with Dermmatch.

I do appreciate Propecia is the best way to tackle hair loss at the cause but I'm really resistant at the moment.
    To be fair and honest, I cannot relate to concerns about the possible side effects. The best advice I can give you there is to talk it over with a qualified physician.

Many men who do choose to take Propecia save a lot of money by asking their doctor to write the script for generic Finasteride and then cut the pills into four pieces to make their daily dose.

I switched to Nizoral back then and to Alpecin for the days I wasn't using Nizoral. After doing some research since then I realize Alpecin really has nothing to offer but figured it was just something different.
    I don't think Alpecin will do any harm but I don't think will help either. I now believe switching to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner is best. Going sulfate free doesn't do anything for your hair loss but it is healthier for your hair and scalp.

It's a roll of the dice- you may not ever have any issues with it. What you may consider doing is using FIN only if you find your crown rapidly advancing and get off of it ASAP if you start noticing sides. I procrastinated getting off and now have to use testosterone hormone every day but after 5 years of misery, I feel normal again. But now that I feel good again, I am losing hair again -guess there is no free lunch after all..
    Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Get on minoxidil right away. But minoxidil alone will do jack sh*t. You need to combine it with finasteride. You can still save a lot and possible regrow the crown.
    I've found my hair thickening up with Nizoral and minoxidil alone.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I've found my hair thickening up with Nizoral and minoxidil alone.
    I am glad to hear that Chrisis. I use a different oral medication than what guy's can use - and guy's cannot use the oral medication I use. Anyways, I was making noticeable gains myself with just my laser comb and Minoxidil before I started oral medication. However, those gains improved dramatically a few months after I started oral medication to block DHT reception.