+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by monty3001 View Post
    Hi Joe,

I'm interested in SMP for a scalp that is NOT shaved to add thickening to crown and donor area. This is the first time I had realised this could be possible thanks to your mentioning it. How effective is it for this purpose? I'm U.K though, not sure if there are any reputable experienced providers of this service over here.

Ta

As far as I know, permanent SMP is rarely suitable (much less offered) for adding density to average length hair and is usually used for those that want to maintain a shaved head. Tricopigmentation however is ideally suited for this purpose. As I said before, I had this done on myself a few times with excellent results. In the UK you can visit the Harley Street clinic in London, tell them I sent you and they'll get you sorted.
    Last edited by JoeTillman; 02-08-2016 at 08:46 AM.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    As far as I know, permanent SMP is rarely suitable (much less offered) for adding density to average length hair and is usually used for those that want to maintain a shaved head. Tricopigmentation however is ideally suited for this purpose. As I said before, I had this done on myself a few times with excellent results. In the UK you can visit the Harley Street clinic in London, tell them I sent you and they'll get you sorted.
    Why do you consider tricopigmentation suitable, but not permanent SMP?

Was wondering if Joe or someone could answer as to why tricopigmentation would be suitable for this, but not permanent SMP.

Okay, no answer. Well, I'm puzzled as to why you think permanent SMP is rarely suitable for this purpose, but that tricopigmentation (which you are affiliated with) is. They are both dots of ink placed under the skin... so what makes permanent SMP dots less suitable for adding density to long hair, than temporary SMP dots?

Leaving that aside, numerous permanent SMP companies specifically discuss how their SMP can be used in conjunction with longer hair in men or women

With as much experience as you have researching SMP, i'm surprised that you think this type of service isn't offered by permanent SMP companies... as nearly every SMP website I've ever seen discusses and/or has pictures of SMP being used for women who have thinning hair, or people with patchy alopecia.
    Last edited by Winston; 06-23-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies and TOS.

To explain the edit, it's because i linked to articles from 3 popular permanent SMP companies, where they discuss using permanent SMP in conjunction with long hair. Sorry, didn't know there was a rule against that.

Quote Originally Posted by hairhairhair456 View Post
    Was wondering if Joe or someone could answer as to why tricopigmentation would be suitable for this, but not permanent SMP.
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier. To be honest, I'm not entirely certain why permanent SMP is not offered often for adding density to longer hair. It may have something to do with the deeper nature of the incisions and how it may cause shock. Regardless, I just don't think doing a permanent tattoo on one's scalp is smart. There is no way to know how it's going to react over the long term. Trico, when performed correctly, is much more shallow and when it's gone it's gone. It's not a perfect solution but it doesn't put you into a corner like permanent SMP can.
    Joe Tillman

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. To be honest, I'm not entirely certain why permanent SMP is not offered often for adding density to longer hair.
    Yes, but the point of that part of my previous response was that it IS often offered... as nearly every permanent SMP company i have ever seen discusses using it to treat women with thinning hair, patchy alopecia, or even just guys who want to wear it longer. I had tried to link to 3 of the largest SMP companies discussing it, and i was just surprised to see that you weren't aware of this.

Regardless, I just don't think doing a permanent tattoo on one's scalp is smart. There is no way to know how it's going to react over the long term. Trico, when performed correctly, is much more shallow and when it's gone it's gone. It's not a perfect solution but it doesn't put you into a corner like permanent SMP can.
    Ok, but in your previous comment you seemed to be specifically talking about adding density to longer hair, instead of the debate about whether temporary or permanent is better in general. Perhaps it came out differently than you meant to say.

Leaving the temporary vs permanent debate aside, they are equally viable for adding density to longer hair.

Quote Originally Posted by hairhairhair456 View Post
    Yes, but the point of that part of my previous response was that it IS often offered... as nearly every permanent SMP company i have ever seen discusses using it to treat women with thinning hair, patchy alopecia, or even just guys who want to wear it longer. I had tried to link to 3 of the largest SMP companies discussing it, and i was just surprised to see that you weren't aware of this.

Ok, but in your previous comment you seemed to be specifically talking about adding density to longer hair, instead of the debate about whether temporary or permanent is better in general. Perhaps it came out differently than you meant to say.

Leaving the temporary vs permanent debate aside, they are equally viable for adding density to longer hair.
    If more permanent SMP companies are offering long hair services then so be it. This wasn't always the case and to be blunt, I'm not paying attention to permanent SMP companies nowadays since most are con artists and thugs. The short time I dealt with some of the people on that side of the field was extremely unpleasant.

But no, you can't leave the temp vs. permanent debate aside as that is the underlying point. The downsides of permanent SMP affect buzzcut as well as long hair scenarios respectively. The dots are made differently and if you have dots that are turning blue or spreading and causing a confluence of ink long hair will not hide the problems. If you can see scalp without the dots you'll see the problems that the dots will create in the same space.
    Joe Tillman

But no, you can't leave the temp vs. permanent debate aside as that is the underlying point.
    Yes but that's really a different argument than the one you first made, and is the reason i said to leave it aside. You initially said that permanent SMP wasn't suitable for adding density to long hair, and that it was usually used for short hair. I wanted to inform anyone reading this that permanent SMP works just as well for adding density to long hair, lest they get the impression from your comment that it somehow wouldn't work visually.

I've started a new thread to continue the discussion, as i dont want to hijack this thread. (Link to new thread.)