Minoxidil Sexual side effects - Page 3 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you have mail we can talk and help each other.. i have others contacts with same symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by Abb47 View Post
    If you have mail we can talk and help each other.. i have others contacts with same symptoms
    Yes, can you add me as a friend? Somehow I cannot send friend requests. Other than that, you can answer to my post on askapatient, and I will receive a message of yours to my email:

https://www.askapatient.com/applicat...8&drug=ROGAINE

hey i used minoxidil 5% for five days in February 2017. 16 months on im still suffering with erectile dysfunction. my penis has never gone back to normal. its physically altered in size. its more rubbery and veiny. i rarely wake up with morning erections when before i always did every day. I dont get any involuntary erections anymore.

Like vicky i have periods where the symptoms subside. they have never fully gone away but when i am at my best i can achieve an erection to about 65% strength of what it used to be. and that is at my best. my body is like in a heightened state of sensitivity. things i could eat/drink/smoke now can make the symptoms worse whereas before they never affected me down there. for example i used to take a sports supplement you can buyin shops called creatine. i cant take that now as it makes the erectile dysfunction worse. i tried zinc supplement because people said it helped with ED. this made my symptoms worse and gave me heart palpitations. basically my body is ****ed and i cant help thinking this is for life.

Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    hey i used minoxidil 5% for five days in February 2017. 16 months on im still suffering with erectile dysfunction. my penis has never gone back to normal. its physically altered in size. its more rubbery and veiny. i rarely wake up with morning erections when before i always did every day. I dont get any involuntary erections anymore.

Like vicky i have periods where the symptoms subside. they have never fully gone away but when i am at my best i can achieve an erection to about 65% strength of what it used to be. and that is at my best. my body is like in a heightened state of sensitivity. things i could eat/drink/smoke now can make the symptoms worse whereas before they never affected me down there. for example i used to take a sports supplement you can buyin shops called creatine. i cant take that now as it makes the erectile dysfunction worse. i tried zinc supplement because people said it helped with ED. this made my symptoms worse and gave me heart palpitations. basically my body is ****ed and i cant help thinking this is for life.
    Hi thommo,

can you please send me an email by clicking on the askapatient Link in my previous post?
    I have the exact same situation as you do.
    thanks

did you get my email?

Hey everyone,

Hi, I'm a first year med student and new to this website. I stumbled upon this forum whilst looking at possible side effects of using minoxidil. What you people have been saying made me very concerned. Now, the reason I actually stumbled upon this forum, is that I have been using minoxidil for a good five months now and I have been experiencing a strange increase in libido. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to say that your concerns about side effects are unjustified. I'm merely giving my account of this.
    It is not impossible that minoxidil could have a negative effect on libido and judging by the number of people who say they have experienced these side effects due to minoxidil, it definitely requires attention. The main problem, however, is that minoxidil has not been researched enough. It was firstly used as a drug for lowering blood pressure; the anti-hair loss features of it have been discovered later.
    I don't mean to discredit anyone's account here, so please don't attack me or think I'm here to call you liars, but if I look at the situation, I see two possibilities.
    Since minoxidil is a blood pressure-lowering medication and there's a lot still to be learned about it; and blood-lowering medications can lead to erectile problems, this would be the first possibility I could think of.
    The second possibility I see is that it may not have anything to do with the minoxidil. Let's forget the minoxidil for a minute. There are many other factors that influence erectile function, mainly lifestyle and age. Now, age seems unlikely to be the reason if we're talking about a period of time as short as a month. Let's talk about lifestyle. Smoking, drinking alcohol, unhealthy eating habits, obesity, little exercise and other aspects of lifestyle influence libido. Any other medication that is taken regularly? Now, again, I'm not saying that it's not the minoxidil, but before putting the whole blame on it, have you considered the above-mentioned aspects? If you think none of these apply to you, then it is definitely necessary to consult a doctor. Erectile matters are not to be taken lightly.
    Another thing I wanted to mention before I finally shut up; I wanted to mention the so-called ''Medical Students' Disease''. When reading about such side effects relating to a drug you use, it may become an easy scapegoat. Further, one might experience a psychological placebo effect and be stressed about it so much that one may feel like they have erectile problems.

Nevertheless, if you believe that the minoxidil is responsible for your erectile problems, do not use it until you consult your doctor or if you feel safe using it. I hope that you people recover and feel better.

Hi xMedox,

thanks, I appreciate your post. I agree that we should exclude other possible causes before jumping to the conclusion that Minoxidil is behind those sexual side effects. Let us then look at all the possible factors that you mentioned:

1) First you mention that Minoxidil is a blood-lowering medication. Here we should be cautious when making inferences from studies that investigated oral minoxidil. While it is true that oral Minoxidil lowers blood pressure, we know very little in which ways topical Minoxidil (2% or 5%) stops hair loss. If we exclude Minoxidil, other blood-lowering agents do not stop hair loss in men. There are numerous hypotheses in academic publications that try to explain the mechanism of topical Minoxidil, but there is no definite answer.

Now one might ask: Why are participants of studies where oral minoxidil was used for hypertension not experiencing those same sexual side effects as users of topical Minoxidil? First, we can never be sure that all side effects (including sexual) where properly documented in those studies. Simple example: Think of Finasteride. When it was first introduced, pharmaceutical companies claimed that Finasteride is safe and that sexual side effects subside after treatment is stopped. Of course we now know that this is not true, there are thousands of users that have Post-Finasteride Syndrome with permanent sexual side effects. Ironically, people on various forums back then claimed that Finasteride users are making up stories and that Finasteride is safe "because the FDA approved it".
    Second, there is a huge difference between oral medications and topical application. You are a medical student you say, so you might be familiar with first-pass metabolism. With oral medications, the liver and gut absorb and transform the drug concentration markedly. With topical application of Minoxidil, the drug gets into the bloodstream via the scalp, no first-pass metabolism in this case. Therefore we do know at which concentration and form the topical Minoxidil might affect the body hormones/arteries/etc.
    That being said, I am sure you are aware of the horrible side effects of Minoxidil (pericardial effusion, cardiac tamponade, pericarditis..). Who says that topical Minoxidil does not have the potential to cause serious side effects in vulnerable individuals?

2+3) You say that smoking, drinking, unhealthy lifestyles, or other medications might have caused ED and sexual side effects. This might be true in some cases, but in my case I was taking no drugs, I do not smoke, and I am very healthy otherwise. Furthermore, I applied Minoxidil and immediately afterwards the sexual side effects began. Also, I was unaware that Minoxidil might cause sexual side effects. Only after I developed sexual side effects I started researching. And the evidence is bullet-proof in many aspects:

You can go to the website askapatient and search for Minoxidil. Currently, there are 183 ratings, most of them very negative. Most of the users complain about sexual side effects. The vast majority of users report that they did not know of the potential sexual side effects of Minoxidil before starting treatment. Only after they had developed the symptoms, they made the connection between ED and Minoxidil. Some have persistent ED and libido loss which started immediately after using Minoxidil.
    Furthermore, go to Google and search for "Minoxidil+erectile dysfunction", "Minoxidil+sexual side effects. You can even search in other languages: "Minoxidil+difuncion erectil", "Minoxidil+disfunção erétil", etc. There are thousands of reports where people claim that topical Minoxidil caused sexual side effects.
    I have no reason to doubt those claims. There is 0 possibility that all of those people are lying, making up things, or having some "other problems".

As to your last paragraph where you say that we should not use Minoxidil until we consult our doctor of until we feel safe: Too late already, the damage has been done...

Default ED problem

Dear All,

I my self i the affected i am 35 years OLD and started to use the Regaine which posses that bloody minoxidil , i was doin good , but after using two months suddenly i witnessed problem with my erection, i dont take any drink, smoke , medicine , and do exercise but facing problem of ED.

I stopped using that thing from last week but no recovery , i had done my blood tests they are okay.

Now i dont know what to do for the recovery , please suggest.

Same issue just after using the Regaine which consist of Minoxidil. I was very good in sex but after using that i am facing erectile issue , though i have stopped using it since one week but no improvement, now i am looking for something which can recover me from this side effect. working and searching for it. I hope i will get some thing for my recovery soon

Hi,I used it 2 weeks, and the effects were immediate.