+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
    I'm only 24 but I'm already dealing with hair loss

I feel I'm too young for this and the majority of women my age still have thick, luxurious hair... even my 86 year old grandma has a beautiful head of thick, silver hair. I still have enough hair to make it seem "normal" to the untrained eye, but some people have commented on how thin and fine my hair is. I hate that I can basically only wear it down, because with a ponytail some "bald spots" start becoming apparent.

But what what concerns me the most is what men think, even bald men. 'Cause no one wants a bald woman! Or at least that's what I feel... like maybe hair loss makes a young woman look sick or unhealthy. I've been told I have a pretty face and a nice body (I wouldn't know since I've always had low self esteem, but I do get some more attention than I'd expect). The problem is for example that I'm always scared that a guy will notice my hair loss, for example if he touches my hair in the heat of the moment (if you know what I mean) or if he sees my hair wet, etc. I'm not even talking about a long time boyfriend or husband who would "accept me just as I am", but someone I'm just getting to know.

It makes me sad that I'll never be truly attractive, I never had that chance because as a teen I was overweight and then after that I started losing my hair when I was like 18 I think... it was all very gradual so I didn't notice until last year, and I guess I was a bit in denial too.

I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS but maybe I have it? My sister has it, and she also has pattern hair loss. I have insulin resistance which is usually related to PCOS but I have no cysts and my periods have always been regular and normal, I also don't have any other markers like hirsutism or acne, but I've heard PCOS can be mild and go unnoticed. My thyroid is also fine. I'm on the pill and it made no difference whatsoever, positive or negative.

I guess this is a bit of a rant, but for the ladies here, how have you dealt with dating, men and confidence? And if any guys are reading, if a woman is otherwise attractive and nice and kind, would you accept her thinning hair, and that with her you'd never have her change her look/style much?

I think I have AGA... I'm not sure, but I think so, because my scalp is always really tight and tense, I have seborrheic dermatitis (which I guess is due to dht) and sometimes when I move my hair around or scratch some tiny, fine, almost transparent hairs come out... when I went to the dermatologist he just said I'm balding and didn't go any further and there aren't more derms or good endocrinologists where I live, and I can't afford to go somewhere else to see better docs and pay for expensive treatments (I'm not in the US).

But on top of it I suspect I might something else, because the tiny hairs only come from the top of my head (AGA), but the rest of my hair is also thinning, not only in density but the diameter of each strand has got finer with time (I've always had thin, fine hair, but looking at old pictures I had more density and my hair seemed stronger, coarser, better texture, etc.). My hair is still shiny though and it grows really fast and really long if I don't get haircuts regularly (at one point I didn't get a haircut for 2 years and it grew from my shoulders to my hips, I'm 5'7" so I think it's quite fast).

Sorry for the rant/length, I'm just feeling a bit down because I feel like I just missed my chance to ever be attractive, 'cause let's face it, it's not like I can reverse it or even stop it

I never notice women will hairloss. For some reason, girls with receding hair just doesnt stand out really. I wouldn't worry too too much.

I do notice women with thinning hair - immediately, not saying it puts me off tho, i dated a woman who had thinning hair, still found her attractive - its quite surprising just how many women i do notice with thinned hair when i'm sat on a bus, or walking around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    ...its quite surprising just how many women i do notice with thinned hair when i'm sat on a bus, or walking around town.
    Now that the weather has forced me to get much of my exercise via mall-walking, I notice lots of women with varying degrees of hair loss. It makes me sad and I wonder if they even know female hair loss can be treated.

Yeah its surprising how many women there are out there suffering with hair loss, I also wonder if many are aware they could be treated..

Unfortunately, most women suffering with hair loss are completely unaware that there is anything they can do about it. Even more unfortunately most are too afraid to talk about it, so they never learn that they can probably treat it. Even more unfortunate than that, even many doctors don’t know what to do to treat female hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Unfortunately, most women suffering with hair loss are completely unaware that there is anything they can do about it. Even more unfortunately most are too afraid to talk about it, so they never learn that they can probably treat it. Even more unfortunate than that, even many doctors don’t know what to do to treat female hair loss.
    Taking the subway in a big city everyday, the amount of women I see with hair loss is staggering! I probably only started to notice after I was losing my own hair (all I do nowadays is when I'm in public is examine peoples scalp from a safe distance :P). I feel like saying something! It's sad enough as it is and even more so knowing they could potentially be treated. Maybe I will start carrying little pieces of paper with 'thebaldtruth.com' on them and sneaking them in their pockets when they're not looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Maybe I will start carrying little pieces of paper with 'thebaldtruth.com' on them and sneaking them in their pockets when they're not looking.
    It would be better for the card to have www.americanhairloss.org and www.womenshairlossproject.com on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It would be better for the card to have www.americanhairloss.org and www.womenshairlossproject.com on it.
    Lol ya you are right, I forgot they may be bombarded by the bozo's on these forums :P

How exactly you can treat female HL? Minox is the only option, Fin is out for women

Quote Originally Posted by didi View Post
    How exactly you can treat female HL? Minox is the only option.
    Minoxidil is not the only option for women. The first and most important thing in treating female hair loss is to determine what is causing her hair loss and treat the cause if possible. Minoxidil might be enough for her to treat it, but she might also need to take Spiro or some other medication. She might also benefit from using the laser comb. More information can be found here:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/