PGD2 causes hair loss according to Dr. Cotsarelis

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mojo Risin
    • Mar 2011

The study was funded by the NIH, the Skin Disease Research Center, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the Edwin and Fannie Gray Hall Center for Human Appearance at University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, the American Skin Association, the Dermatology Foundation, and L'Oreal.

Cotsarelis and one of his co-authors are co-inventors of a patent owned by the University of Pennsylvania describing the PGD2 pathway as a target for inhibiting hair loss, among other claims. One of the other study authors is an inventor of a patent owned by the Gillette Corporation to use PGD2 to inhibit hair growth. One of the authors works for Merck and another works for Allergan.

Comment

• Maradona
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Mojo Risin
      The study was funded by the NIH, the Skin Disease Research Center, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the Edwin and Fannie Gray Hall Center for Human Appearance at University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, the American Skin Association, the Dermatology Foundation, and L'Oreal.

Cotsarelis and one of his co-authors are co-inventors of a patent owned by the University of Pennsylvania describing the PGD2 pathway as a target for inhibiting hair loss, among other claims. One of the other study authors is an inventor of a patent owned by the Gillette Corporation to use PGD2 to inhibit hair growth. One of the authors works for Merck and another works for Allergan.
      so we are *&@!ED?

Comment

• Mojo Risin
        • Mar 2011

Does it mean only those companies have the right to work on something with PGD2 ? If so, yeah, we're f*cked.

In a capitalist system, there's just no interest whatsoever to permanently cure baldness ... or any disease for that matter.

Comment

• BoSox
          • Jun 2010

This is huge, regardless of how negative people are on these forums. Not going to visit this site anymore for a long time, it's healthier that way. Baldness will soon be cured, i have faith.

Comment

• Artista
            • Apr 2010

BoSox,

I'm in complete agreement with you but I myself will stick around and I think you should, as well.
            There will always be pessimistic naysayers in life no matter the topic. Its unfortunate I know, but a fact of life.
            Even with cancer research. There are those who would want to believe that international corporations prefer not to cure cancer because without a cure cancer it is a huge money maker. A very flawed philosophy for many many reasons.
            Spencer, chime in on this one.

Comment

• krewel
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by BoSox
              This is huge, regardless of how negative people are on these forums. Not going to visit this site anymore for a long time, it's healthier that way. Baldness will soon be cured, i have faith.
              Do! I haven't been on this forum for over a month because of the same reasons. Just revisited this forum because of this news I heard and I'm already sick of the posts here again. Not that they're only incredibly stupid, uninformed people believe the stuff they say and get disappointed.

Huge finding, period

bye

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                • Nov 2011

Does it mean only those companies have the right to work on something with PGD2 ? If so, yeah, we're f*cked.

In a capitalist system, there's just no interest whatsoever to permanently cure baldness ... or any disease for that matter.
                Why not?

Baldness can cause depression, which in turn can cause men from not being productive at work, which in turn causes companies to lose money.

Forget about a cure, but I am sure that drug companies can, if they are, as you say you are, create something that is considerably better then minox and propecia. That way, they will keep on raking income in by having products which people will without any hesitation use.

And even if say they do cure baldness, you know what, there will always be bald/balding people with every new generation. This is such a huge market, stupid to think otherwise.

Comment

• Pate
                  • Sep 2011

I doubt it. Patents need to be specific, you can patent a compound or a process that works via the PGD2 pathway but you can't patent the pathway itself.

Since there are already several drugs in development that act on PGD2 I don't think this patent will stop anyone else working on it.

To be honest I'd rather have Merck and Allergan owning these patents than some two-bit biotech start-up. At least Merck has the resources to develop it if it's worth developing.

Comment

• maxhair
                    • Oct 2011

So, I am using a 0.75mm dermaroller with minoxidil anyway, which I hope is not allowing too much minox into bloodstream, and I am all for experimenting with some topically applied Optrex Allergy on a small spot for a few months. I don't want that getting into the bloodstream either.

Do you think a 0.75mm is the right length then?

Is Umar right about it probably not going to work?

Comment

• bananana
                      Inactive
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by maxhair
                      So, I am using a 0.75mm dermaroller with minoxidil anyway, which I hope is not allowing too much minox into bloodstream, and I am all for experimenting with some topically applied Optrex Allergy on a small spot for a few months. I don't want that getting into the bloodstream either.

Do you think a 0.75mm is the right length then?

Is Umar right about it probably not going to work?
                      0.75 mm is a big bastard.
                      Does it make your scalp bloody or very red?

I use 0.5 and sometimes it hurts when I press it harder.
                      Anyways, I was looking into eye drops prices, and I don't know how economical it is because 10 ml costs around $10 + shipping. 10 ml wouldn't last very long.

How often and how long should one use it to see some results?
                      Any guesses?

Comment

• Thermal
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bananana
                        0.75 mm is a big bastard.
                        Does it make your scalp bloody or very red?

I use 0.5 and sometimes it hurts when I press it harder.
                        Anyways, I was looking into eye drops prices, and I don't know how economical it is because 10 ml costs around $10 + shipping. 10 ml wouldn't last very long.

How often and how long should one use it to see some results?
                        Any guesses?
                        There are some cheaper eye drops around in the UK which contain Sodium Cromoglicate http://www.pharmplexdirect.com/galph...n&currency=GBP

Can also get it on prescription in capsule format. http://www.pharmplexdirect.com/nalcr...n&currency=GBP

Comment

• Thermal
                          • Nov 2010

Anyone have access to this journal?

Comment

• Maradona
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Thermal
                            http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jm701509k

Anyone have access to this journal?
                            here you go broseph :

Comment

• Kiwi
                              • Mar 2011

This is definitely getting some hype:

I don't agree with you Mojo. You're such a drama queen - you must by gay. And balding gay guys are the worst.

Anyway. I think that Merck (propecia) know that companies like Histogen are coming. I speculate that this is why they are announcing this potential solution now. They have bled propecia for as long as they can - nek minute!

And if there is a patent then Merck could easily afford to buy that patent.

Comment

• Scoots
                                • Mar 2012

I've been wondering, since Cotsarelis is heading up Follica, and that treatment (from what we know) doesn't target PGD2, how does that affect the chances of Follica being released? We obviously don't know anything about their phase 2 results or if they're even planning for phase 3. But do you think this recent discovery negates Follica's method as to what sparks regrowth of hair?

You would think Cotsarelis would be promoting his own product, yet in the interview video posted earlier in this thread he instead suggests that an effective MPB treatment could come from the PGD2 blocking drugs currently in clinical trials.

Comment

Working...