Just turned 20, it keeps getting worse - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Just turned 20, it keeps getting worse

Hi, I think this will be just me venting but I'd also appreciate some help.

As of slightly less than a year now I've noticed I'm going bald. I did a buzz cut short after summer before school began and noticed my hair was thinning all over but even more so on some patches on the top of the head. Hairline is not really receding but hair is thinner all over, including the sides above the ears. The middle top front seems to be a bit less affected but it's still thinning. I can't cut my hair too much else my baldness will go visible, but if I let my hair grow too much it becomes ridiculous and impossible to comb.

I'm really sad and frustrated. When I thought my life couldn't become any shittier, something else hits the fan. It's as if the world conspires against me. My life is complete crap (I'm not even exaggerating) and now this? It's just too much.

In the immediate aftermath upon noticing my hair loss I went to a homeopath who said I was losing hair due to my diet (vegetarian) and told me to take supplements, even though my blood samples showed I was perfectly healthy. Of course it did nothing.

I was getting really desperate and went to a dermatologist who diognosed me with hereditary alopecia. He had me take some saw palmetto pills, biotin, wash my head with some caffeine shampoo and to spray my scalp with minoxidil. Again, no results. At least on my head, as body hair started to grow much faster (I was always very, very hairy for my age). I got even more depressed and each day felt like crying. Why was my body hair growing much faster, in every single area you could think of, but not on my head!?

I decided to stop taking any of it. Going bald was already too much, I refused having my social life ruined further for looking like a complete ape. Now I'm just here sitting in despair, without any motivation, meditating on the thousands of reasons that make my life horrible. I don't know what it is like to feel happy since I was a child. Since my preteens I spend 340 days sad and the rest pretending to be happy. There's only one person in this world that makes me smile genuinely and I worry this shit situation (or any other that is bound to happen to a guy like me) will ruin our friendship. I'll have nothing keeping me motivated then. I know this sounds like an overreaction, but after going through so much, this just seems so unfair. Yeah, I expected to go bald eventually. My father did and so did his father. But at the age of 19? GTFO.

I was recently reading about finasteride and dutasteride, trying to convince my parents to see a doctor who'd prescribe one of the two, but they refuse to because a doctor told them the side effects are too dangerous. It it me like stone for two reasons: for one, I thought they were being too insensitive towards my issue, not really understanding how this is affecting me (I'm not the kind to tell others I'm feeling like shit, I just hope they notice. The internet is the exception) and because that small trace of hope I had left went away in a matter of seconds.

What I'd like to know is if finasteride really is that dangerous. I'd like to hear more than just a ''NO!'' because x doctor said so.

How have those of you who have been on finasteride or avodart react in the long term? My hair loss is sort of diffuse with general thinning, it's not really receding (though that might imply it's just the beginning of it). Am I bound to get a severe health condition at some point because of it? How likely is it for the doctor to refuse prescribing me finasteride? I don't care about lack of libido or sperm quality, I won't have children anyway. Nobody wants me.

I just want my hair please.

Sorry for the long post and If I sounded like a drama queen. This is destroying me, and I refuse to go bald at this age.

Hey sorry to hear, finesteride is not dangerous the side effects can be real as I had them. On that note I been taking finesteride for 5 odd years and has maintained my hair. I do not have side effects anymore.

1. Finesteride
    2. ketoconozole
    3. Minoxidil
    4. Derma roller.

I have been on finasteride and advodart with very little side effects. You can get either one online if you want, you just have to fill out a online question and answer form and the Dr. will send you a script to the pharmacy of your choice. All the other stuff you have tried doesn't work. I would get on rogaine and propecia and give it at least a year. Propecia is very safe so not sure if the Dr. is not up on the literature but depression has more side effect than propecia and that what you are fighting right now. You need to start feeling better about yourself so if propecia will help you should do it.

You should post some pictures and people will give you an assessment of your hair...may not be as bad as you think. I know how you feel...when I have a good hair day I feel like superman and when I have a bad hair day I don't want to leave the house.

I use Medical Wellness Center for my scripts. Don't get anything that doesn't come from your pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieTops View Post
    Hi, I think this will be just me venting but I'd also appreciate some help.

As of slightly less than a year now I've noticed I'm going bald. I did a buzz cut short after summer before school began and noticed my hair was thinning all over but even more so on some patches on the top of the head. Hairline is not really receding but hair is thinner all over, including the sides above the ears. The middle top front seems to be a bit less affected but it's still thinning. I can't cut my hair too much else my baldness will go visible, but if I let my hair grow too much it becomes ridiculous and impossible to comb.

I'm really sad and frustrated. When I thought my life couldn't become any shittier, something else hits the fan. It's as if the world conspires against me. My life is complete crap (I'm not even exaggerating) and now this? It's just too much.

In the immediate aftermath upon noticing my hair loss I went to a homeopath who said I was losing hair due to my diet (vegetarian) and told me to take supplements, even though my blood samples showed I was perfectly healthy. Of course it did nothing.

I was getting really desperate and went to a dermatologist who diognosed me with hereditary alopecia. He had me take some saw palmetto pills, biotin, wash my head with some caffeine shampoo and to spray my scalp with minoxidil. Again, no results. At least on my head, as body hair started to grow much faster (I was always very, very hairy for my age). I got even more depressed and each day felt like crying. Why was my body hair growing much faster, in every single area you could think of, but not on my head!?

I decided to stop taking any of it. Going bald was already too much, I refused having my social life ruined further for looking like a complete ape. Now I'm just here sitting in despair, without any motivation, meditating on the thousands of reasons that make my life horrible. I don't know what it is like to feel happy since I was a child. Since my preteens I spend 340 days sad and the rest pretending to be happy. There's only one person in this world that makes me smile genuinely and I worry this shit situation (or any other that is bound to happen to a guy like me) will ruin our friendship. I'll have nothing keeping me motivated then. I know this sounds like an overreaction, but after going through so much, this just seems so unfair. Yeah, I expected to go bald eventually. My father did and so did his father. But at the age of 19? GTFO.

I was recently reading about finasteride and dutasteride, trying to convince my parents to see a doctor who'd prescribe one of the two, but they refuse to because a doctor told them the side effects are too dangerous. It it me like stone for two reasons: for one, I thought they were being too insensitive towards my issue, not really understanding how this is affecting me (I'm not the kind to tell others I'm feeling like shit, I just hope they notice. The internet is the exception) and because that small trace of hope I had left went away in a matter of seconds.

What I'd like to know is if finasteride really is that dangerous. I'd like to hear more than just a ''NO!'' because x doctor said so.

How have those of you who have been on finasteride or avodart react in the long term? My hair loss is sort of diffuse with general thinning, it's not really receding (though that might imply it's just the beginning of it). Am I bound to get a severe health condition at some point because of it? How likely is it for the doctor to refuse prescribing me finasteride? I don't care about lack of libido or sperm quality, I won't have children anyway. Nobody wants me.

I just want my hair please.

Sorry for the long post and If I sounded like a drama queen. This is destroying me, and I refuse to go bald at this age.
    Can you post photos of you hair? The way you describe it as balding "above the ears" but not as much on top sounds abnormal to me and it is possible that you have another condition.

I've taken finasteride over a period of years (and I'm a vegetarian) and I haven't had any negative side effects. The listed side effects from propecia are less serious than those for aspirin.