Default How long before results?

Hello Dr. Redmond,
    I am currently taking Ocella (Yasmen 28) three months on,4 days off since January 2007. Since April 2007, I also take Spiro 100 mg per day (I did take 200 mg at first but dropped just a month ago to 100 because my heart began to hurt 20 or so minutes after taking) and as of September this year, I am also taking 2.5 mg of Finasteride. The beginning results of just taking the pill for three months straight did not improve my hair loss. When I did include the Spiro in April, within 60 days i did notice a great improvement; less hair falling out and some areas were less dense. Then around June my hair began to shed so quickly I thought the Spiro had something to do with it and I stopped for a month. I began to take the Spiro again in July and then added the Finasteride in September. My hair in the front is terrible. You can see my scalp and my crown. I am not sure if I should continue or? I will keep taking the Ocella since it has helped greatly with my PMS. Dr. Redmond, how long should I continue with all three medications if so far my hair seems worse? I was incouraged in April when my hair began to grow back but then to be devastated a few months later with a overwhelming shed.
    Thanks for your time

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
    Hello Dr. Redmond,
    I am currently taking Ocella (Yasmen 28) three months on,4 days off since January 2007. Since April 2007, I also take Spiro 100 mg per day (I did take 200 mg at first but dropped just a month ago to 100 because my heart began to hurt 20 or so minutes after taking) and as of September this year, I am also taking 2.5 mg of Finasteride. The beginning results of just taking the pill for three months straight did not improve my hair loss. When I did include the Spiro in April, within 60 days i did notice a great improvement; less hair falling out and some areas were less dense. Then around June my hair began to shed so quickly I thought the Spiro had something to do with it and I stopped for a month. I began to take the Spiro again in July and then added the Finasteride in September. My hair in the front is terrible. You can see my scalp and my crown. I am not sure if I should continue or? I will keep taking the Ocella since it has helped greatly with my PMS. Dr. Redmond, how long should I continue with all three medications if so far my hair seems worse? I was incouraged in April when my hair began to grow back but then to be devastated a few months later with a overwhelming shed.
    Thanks for your time
    Hair changes slowly -- that's why we do not need haircuts every day. In general, if treatment will be effective it takes 2 to 4 months to see slowing of shedding and generally 9 mos or longer to begin to see regrowth. It is important to realize that if shedding slows down to normal and hair is not thinning progressively, this is a good response and one should stay with it, assuming there are not significant side effects. If things are not better by 4 mos, changes in treatment should be considered.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.