+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Taking Fin is an oxymoron and absurd

I am going to be bold here and state with full confidence that taking the drug propecia is the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard. We as males are biologically driven by our hormones, most notably testosterone and other forms of it (DHT). However, males that fear MPB take propecia to help restore and retain their hair. Ok, here's my qualm. We want to keep the hair on our head to preserve our youthfulness, our confidence (especially with women) and our overall appearance. However, any DHT inhibitor is going to have a mal-effect on male libido, our SEX drive! Why the hell would any guy be willing to sacrifice the hormone responsible for our sex drive?!?!? I don't know about you guys but my libido is what keeps me driven for girls, gives me confidence, gets my ass out of bed and into the gym. Without these male hormones, we aren't really playing the role of our gender. In the wild, animals that have low libido drives are factored out of the evolutionary process. So why would any guy try to mimic that? And ok, balding men that take propecia, save their hair, even restore but now look at the cost. They have successfully preserved their "look" that they wanted but now they lack the libido drive. So, now they don't want to go chase the sexy women that they see in class, at the gym, at work, wherever the hell it may be. And what's even more maddening is the fact that most males that take propecia are in their 20s and maybe 30s- you know, the age where male libido is at its prime. Yet, "The hell with the libido," says the guys that take fin. "Lets keep the hair on our head temporarily," only to curtail and POTENTIALLY even lose their libido they once had for the rest of their lives! That makes no sense to me. Yes, there are a plethora of cases where men have taken propecia, stopped taking it and never fully gotten their libido back. I just don't see how the pros of taking propecia outweigh the potential, permanent cons. Some guys do though get their libido back after taking propecia. Lucky them. And usually the guys that do get it back say it's the best feeling to have regained it. If any of you are so worried about being bald, don't. Get off the drug, get your ass in the gym, learn to eat right and be confident in the person you are, not the person you look like. That right there will out-beat any guy with a full head of hair with no libido. Ask any damn woman and they will agree. The end.

p.s.- I am not looking for a debate, I am here to tell the depressed, the low-self esteem males out there looking for light that it's not the end of the world without hair. There's way more to life. And for the record, going bald will soon be an option. Rogaine, Fin, all of that crap will be outclassed by a CURE. I am guessing there will be a cure within the next 10 years as our technology exponentially advances.

Inactive

You are thinking with the wrong head. Are you seriously suggesting that you have no motivation driving you other than your libido? Beauty and aesthetics go far beyond attracting the opposite sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    You are thinking with the wrong head. Are you seriously suggesting that you have no motivation driving you other than your libido? Beauty and aesthetics go far beyond attracting the opposite sex.
    Of course I am not implying that. I am only discussing the anatomical and physiology of where our male confidence is derived, not on any spiritual, ethical, career or intellectual level. I thought that was more than apparent. Also, there are plenty of males out there that are severely depressed over their hair loss. An extreme example would be suicidal thoughts. Of course there are more level-headed males out there that can cope with hair loss and understand what you are saying. I completely agree with you, and I even said it MYSELF in my first post. There's much more to life than beauty and aesthetics hence WHY I made the freakin post.

And what about the "plethora" or guys who take Propecia and don't have any side effects of loss of libido?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    And what about the "plethora" or guys who take Propecia and don't have any side effects of loss of libido?
    This.

Exactly what I was going to say, almost verbatim. It's not an oxymoron because a strong majority of men have negligible sides, if any at all.

You don't take your hair in one hand and your genitalia in the other and choose one while discarding the other for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    This.

Exactly what I was going to say, almost verbatim. It's not an oxymoron because a strong majority of men have negligible sides, if any at all.

You don't take your hair in one hand and your genitalia in the other and choose one while discarding the other for eternity.
    Please show me some factual evidence that supports your argument "a strong majority of men have negligible sides, if any at all." There's been lawsuits against the drug propecia because it had caused permanent loss in libido for some. Even if majority of men don't experience much side effect, who would want to take that risk? Desperate men in attempt to save their hair that will inevitably fall out anyways, right? There's plenty on this forum alone that experience loss in libido. You don't have to search hard to find the users that report this. My argument still holds water.

To play devils advocate; a Propecia supporter might then reply:

Those experiencing sides are more likely to visit forums. The same people are likely to be much more vocal regarding negatives experiences undergone. Conversely, those going on without sides are entirely unlikely to even visit forums, much less take the time to tell of positive experiences.

Do not believe everything you read on forums. Finasteride saved my sex life.
    Now I am on dutasteride + fin, but so far I still have my libido (and hair)

i take fin...no sides.

Don't want to shoot down your argument, because sure its a good one, but theres a pattern forming here...even most guys on here dont have sides.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    To play devils advocate; a Propecia supporter might then reply:

Those experiencing sides are more likely to visit forums. The same people are likely to be much more vocal regarding negatives experiences undergone. Conversely, those going on without sides are entirely unlikely to even visit forums, much less take the time to tell of positive experiences.
    I like your style but I can take what you said and twist it the opposite way and reply:

Those who took fin and had success were smart about it and came to forums such as this seeking advice about their own hair loss and other personal experiences of the drug propecia. Also, one doesn't have to sign up and register on a forum like this to browse through different threads and discussion topics. I bet there are thousands of propecia users that come across different threads, read what people say and move on without voicing their opinion/experience.

Of course this is all anecdotal talk here. Fact remains, there are plenty of users out there that have negative experiences with the drug and that right there is enough to sway me the other way. I know there are exceptions and success stories. I should have mentioned in my original post that I wasn't speaking to that audience. And, on top of all of this, one would have to take propecia indefinitely for as long as they wanted to stop the hair loss. That is a commitment in finance, and effort. All in all, I am being devils advocate to the drug. To each his own.