+ Reply to Thread

Default My life Time Struggles with Baldness.

I am 65 years old and bald and I still struggle with the disease of baldness daily. For those Young Men that read this, please read the entire post - You'll see why. I'm aware that some men handle baldness better than others and there are some men who struggle with things much worse than being bald. Being bald is something I never excepted I just ended up living with it. This disease took my life, in a figurative way, at 17 years old and in a High School classroom. I was setting at my desk and the young pretty female teacher of this class walked up behind me and blared out: "Tom are you losing your hair!" my answer was heck no! but I actually was and I did not know it. That teacher might as well have taken out a gun and shot me in the head. She didn't realize that she just verbally castrated a 17 year old boy and started him on a life time of self-doubt, insecurity and mental struggles that at one point in my twenties, was so bad, that I contemplated suicide. So one would think at this point and at 65 years old, that I must have slayed this baldness dragon; I'm married, 3 kids, grandchildren and I'm still working. The answer is an astounding NO!! Baldness is a life-time long illness; in retrospect, I look back at the lost opportunities, relationships and other thing that I missed or slip away because I let the loss of hair follicles hold me back. We as humans all suffer from some sort of body dysmorphia at times and in varying degrees. Mine has been my entire life. For the younger men that read this do not fall into the traps that I did and do not wait until you're 65 and wished you had handled this differently.

Exactly! I don't know how many things i don't do because it is too windy or my hair might get wet. I look at people with full head of hair and think they have no problems and their life must be great. Unless you get some professional help it is very difficult to change. I constantly think people are judging me when in reality no one really cares but it is hard to change my perception of what people are thinking. Time goes by so fast and we are missing out on things we should be doing. Thanks for sharing this, i think lots of people are in the same sinking boat and don't know how to fix it.

It's appalling how many lives are ruined by this. How many men are psychologically crippled and never feel like they can tell anyone for fear of being thought ridiculous. When I see guys in their 50s, 60s, 70s with those thick, full heads of hair, it's difficult not to resent them, and wonder how they got so lucky, and that they'll never fully realise it.

I knew a guy who lost his arm in a car accident in his teens, and went bald in his 20s. He once told me, completely seriously, that being bald was worse. He said that the loss of his arm was something that he had learned to live with, and everyone was sympathetic. But the loss of his hair aged him 20 years, he felt like he was in his 50s when he was 30, and it wasn't because of his accident that women didn't find him attractive, but because he was bald and didn't have the head shape to carry it off.

Some guys can live with it and even thrive because of it, but for a lot of us, it can destroy your life. Solutions are needed beyond just "Get used to it, worse things happen at sea."