+ Reply to Thread

Default Is this the start of MPB?

Hello forum, this is my first post on this forum. So I have visited a dermatologist to re-examine my hair just a few weeks ago. I mentioned that I was on accutane back in january and that ever since my hair has shed tremendously. His verdict was that my hair looked normal and that I could stop applying rogaine in which was directed by the previous deem i visited. I also pointed out the baby hairs on one of the corners of my hairline. He says that hair can take a long time to grow back since hair grows in cycles. The only thing he diagnosed me with on my visit was seborrheic dermatitis and prescribed a topical steroid. I am still applying rogaine on the top right corner of my hairline once a night, should i discontinue usage? I have attached some pictures to the post for further opinion. Overall, how does my hair look? What norwood am I? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9420.jpg

Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	35196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9432.jpg

Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	35197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9440.jpg

Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	35198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9444 copy.jpg

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	35199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9457.jpg

Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	35200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9459 copy.jpg

Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	35201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9460 copy.jpg

Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	35202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9462.jpg

Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	35203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9449.jpg

Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	35204  

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darklink95 View Post
    Hello forum, this is my first post on this forum. The only thing he diagnosed me with on my visit was seborrheic dermatitis and prescribed a topical steroid. I am still applying rogaine on the top right corner of my hairline once a night, should i discontinue usage? I have attached some pictures to the post for further opinion. Overall, how does my hair look? What norwood am I? Thanks!
    Nearly every man recedes to a degree. The late president Ronald Reagan is one rare exception. What is your family history of hair loss? How old are you? Many steroids have a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Steroids are immunosuppressive. I believe a person's immune system plays a role in normal hair cycles. I also believe that steroids like Cordran SP and Triamcinolone Acetonide prolong the anagen phase. The downside to steroids is, they cause skin thinning if used excessively.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Nearly every man recedes to a degree. The late president Ronald Reagan is one rare exception. What is your family history of hair loss? How old are you? Many steroids have a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Steroids are immunosuppressive. I believe a person's immune system plays a role in normal hair cycles. I also believe that steroids like Cordran SP and Triamcinolone Acetonide prolong the anagen phase. The downside to steroids is, they cause skin thinning if used excessively.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Does my hair look like it's going bad? I'm 19 and my fathers side of the family do have mpb but mothers side all have a full head of hair. And i Haven't even touched the steroid prescribed by my derm for my dermatitis because I'm too scared to use it so thats out of the question

bump anyone??

I don't think too many bald/balding guys want to comment after seeing those pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I don't think too many bald/balding guys want to comment after seeing those pics.
    Is it seriously that bad? here's better quality pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9548.jpg

Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	35209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9549.jpg

Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	35210  

anyone???

bump

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darklink95 View Post
    Is it seriously that bad? here's better quality pictures.
    No it's not bad, your hair looks great. Having full heads of hair on your mother's side is a big plus, but it could go the way of your father. 19 is usually too young to make any determination. One of the best tools available to evaluate your hair's future is HairCheck. I suggest you find a clinic that offers HairCheck. Have them make a file to keep on record of your HairCheck measurements referred to as the hair mass index. Return to the clinic in three or four years and repeat the process. If your numbers are lower in the areas affected by MPB, you may want to consider starting out with low doses of finasteride. Who knows, in three years a very effective treatment for AGA may be available.

Don't stress, your hair looks fine and practically every man alive experiences at least some miniaturization leading to varying degrees of recession in those areas you're concerned about.