+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Quit Minoxidil

Apparently , stopping minoxidil induces acute telogen effluvium. Healthy and non healthy hair sheds from all over the top of the scalp for 4.5 months after quitting. The hairs will all have white bulbs on the end of them (forced into telogen phase). Then new hair comes back in. Regrowth is noticeable 5.5-6.5 months after qutting.

Has this been the case for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyCM...eature=related

This thread is exaclty why I don't want mino. Not convinced I wouldn't have a gradual hairloss than a super dump after I stop

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    Apparently , stopping minoxidil induces acute telogen effluvium. Healthy and non healthy hair sheds from all over the top of the scalp for 4.5 months after quitting. The hairs will all have white bulbs on the end of them (forced into telogen phase). Then new hair comes back in. Regrowth is noticeable 5.5-6.5 months after qutting.

I would suggest tapering off gradually. As I have said before, when I quit for about 3 months , my vertex area expanded noticeably. Now that I am back on, it seems like a tug of war - sometimes it looks like it is getting better, then it seems to expand again, so still not sure if my vertex is getting better, or worse.

I keep having to take these psa tests, but after late Nov that should stop and I will get back on a very low dose of fin to give the minox some help.

Again -taper down..I did that once about maybe 5 years ago and did not get the huge lose like I did this time.
    Good luck....

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    I would suggest tapering off gradually. As I have said before, when I quit for about 3 months , my vertex area expanded noticeably. Now that I am back on, it seems like a tug of war - sometimes it looks like it is getting better, then it seems to expand again, so still not sure if my vertex is getting better, or worse.

I keep having to take these psa tests, but after late Nov that should stop and I will get back on a very low dose of fin to give the minox some help.

Again -taper down..I did that once about maybe 5 years ago and did not get the huge lose like I did this time.
    Good luck....
    1. What is a psa test?
    2. Why would you get back on it? You never gave your hair the full 6 months after quitting to recover.

1. What is a psa test?
    2. Why would you get back on it? You never gave your hair the full 6 months after quitting to recover.
    It's a test they give you to make sure you don't get prostate cancer. I was put on a low dose of T and those tests are a precaution.

Why did I go back on Minox? Because the only reason I went off of it was to see if it was the cause of some health issues. It was not the cause although my skin did look better so I do think Minox does cause skin issues in some people. Maybe because I have been on it so long.

Is this really true? I am interested because I quit minox in april (if I remember correctly) and I have shed like crazy all summer, just like you said, all with white bulbs! I am still shedding now but I think this time it is related to my switch to Avodart from fin. Now I must have decreased the amount of DHT over my scalp by 20% more with Avodart, so do you think I can expect to see some regrowth?

Nobody knows how to answer a question on this forum.

Nobody knows how to answer a question on this forum.
    Your question has been answered over and over again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post

Good luck....
    I switched from 10% to 5% minoxidil 9,5 months ago. It's been 5,5 months since the shed stopped, but my hair still isn't back. I would be glad, if this theory worked so well. But perhaps I should wait a bit longer. Someone experienced signs of regrowth 6 months after the end of the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by konfusion View Post
    Is this really true? I am interested because I quit minox in april (if I remember correctly) and I have shed like crazy all summer, just like you said, all with white bulbs! I am still shedding now but I think this time it is related to my switch to Avodart from fin. Now I must have decreased the amount of DHT over my scalp by 20% more with Avodart, so do you think I can expect to see some regrowth?
    What is your DHT? I bet you haven't done any tests.