+ Reply to Thread

Default hello all.. need some input from the pros here

iam a 28 year old male i started noticing thinning in 1 specific area on my hairline almost exactly a year ago. I went to a doctor right away and he put me on propecia and suggested the use of rogaine.

Well its just about a year later. 2 weeks ago i went back to the doctor and he uped my dosage from 1mg propecia to 5mg proscar as the thinning is getting worse in this specific area. From what i can tell this is the only area on my head which is experiencing this.

ive been using the rogaine everyday twice a day with no applications missed(for a year). I also started using Ketoconazole 2% shampoo from dr lee about a month ago

So what do you guys think from my picture below does it look like typical mpb or do you think something else is going on? The doctor looked at my scalp and said nothing so i assumed it was normal thinning.

sorry for the horrible quality it was taken in a mirror with a cellphone.

i dont know what to do i feel like i exhausted my options and its only getting worse and worse with time. its making me extremely depressed

That doesnt look like normal MPB to me.......and 5mg is a lot!
    If 1mg isnt doing anything, i doubt 5mg will. It may be stress related or inflammation related, particularly if you head is itching or flaking.
    I would stay as you are......perhaps even dropping minoxidil down to once daily. I would also continue with ketoconazole 3 times a week.
    To be honest, your hair loss doesnt look bad........ just a bit strange that you seem to be receeding at the front middle and nowhere else.
    Id look into other forms of hairloss unrelated to MPB.....maybe thyroid, stress, mineral deficiency.

would i have to see an actual hair transplant surgeon in order to determine this?

Initially, i would look up different forms of hairloss on the internet....and see if you 'fit' any other symptoms.....or if you have a stressfull life, that may be a cause.
    Of course, it may be MPB......but even if it is, i cant see the benefit in going up to 5mg......after all, its your health your dealing with here.
    I guess a ht dr could help.......maybe a dermatologist or trichologist could too..