+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is a consultation even worth it?

Hello! I am Chase. Nice to meet you!

I've been thinking about getting a hair transplant since I was in high school. That may sound crazy but I swear it isn't. I have always had a larger forehead than the majority of people and, unfortunately, a receded hairline at the temples. I mean, it wasn't ACTUALLY receding in high school. I was too young for that to happen. But it just always appeared that way. I had what I thought was a very appropriate hairline for a man in his mid-forties. But not for a high schooler.

Because I was young and had lots of thick hair where it did grow, I grew it out and always styled it to covered my forehead and “receding” hairline. When I started to lose my hair around the age of 20 I became more unhappy with it. But I held onto my long hair cut until about 24. It was at that point that I had lost too much to continue the illusion. Since that time I have always buzzed my head. I didn't want to be that stupid guy that everyone looks at and is like, “What is he thinking? Doesn't he know how stupid he looks trying to grow hair that isn't there?”

So, suffice it to say, I have been waiting for a hair transplant since high school. Then when I started losing hair I told myself I should wait until 30 to get a better idea of how my balding would progress. After reading many websites about the subject, I knew surgeons wouldn't, or were very hard pressed, to operate on young people anyway. So, I didn't feel I had much of a choice. I came to accept my lack of hair and how unappealing I felt it made me look. But this year I turn 30.

I plan to move to LA in the next month to start a new chapter in my life and have been looking into surgeons there. And now comes the whole point of this post. After looking at a few doctor's work it's becoming more and more apparent that I will not be able to achieve anything more that my mid-forties high school hair line. Maybe not even that. Which is a hard pill to swallow when you been waiting since age 18 just to have the hair line of someone in their mid to late twenties.

My question is: Is it worth paying to at least go have a consultation with these doctors? The reputable ones all seem to stress very much the limitations of hair transplants. I would rather not even walk into an office if, in all likelihood, all I am gonna hear is, “I can do 2,000 grafts to thicken your current hair line and crown but that's it.”

Has anyone ever gone to a consultation and actually come out happy with what the doctor said was possible? Or is it one of those take-what-you-can-get type deals? Any thoughts or experiences to share on the subject would be awesome. Also, I realize you get a new guy in here everyday with the same sob story and asking the same questions, so if you don't feel like answering or this has been answered before, no worries. But if you could direct me to the prior post, that would be great! Thanks!

Chase

P.S. - I only found this forum two days ago but every time I come across the post of a teenager with pictures of their full head of hair asking if they are balding, I get a chuckle. Is that mean? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseTheMusical View Post
    Hello! I am Chase. Nice to meet you!

I've been thinking about getting a hair transplant since I was in high school. That may sound crazy but I swear it isn't. I have always had a larger forehead than the majority of people and, unfortunately, a receded hairline at the temples. I mean, it wasn't ACTUALLY receding in high school. I was too young for that to happen. But it just always appeared that way. I had what I thought was a very appropriate hairline for a man in his mid-forties. But not for a high schooler.

Because I was young and had lots of thick hair where it did grow, I grew it out and always styled it to covered my forehead and “receding” hairline. When I started to lose my hair around the age of 20 I became more unhappy with it. But I held onto my long hair cut until about 24. It was at that point that I had lost too much to continue the illusion. Since that time I have always buzzed my head. I didn't want to be that stupid guy that everyone looks at and is like, “What is he thinking? Doesn't he know how stupid he looks trying to grow hair that isn't there?”

So, suffice it to say, I have been waiting for a hair transplant since high school. Then when I started losing hair I told myself I should wait until 30 to get a better idea of how my balding would progress. After reading many websites about the subject, I knew surgeons wouldn't, or were very hard pressed, to operate on young people anyway. So, I didn't feel I had much of a choice. I came to accept my lack of hair and how unappealing I felt it made me look. But this year I turn 30.

I plan to move to LA in the next month to start a new chapter in my life and have been looking into surgeons there. And now comes the whole point of this post. After looking at a few doctor's work it's becoming more and more apparent that I will not be able to achieve anything more that my mid-forties high school hair line. Maybe not even that. Which is a hard pill to swallow when you been waiting since age 18 just to have the hair line of someone in their mid to late twenties.

My question is: Is it worth paying to at least go have a consultation with these doctors? The reputable ones all seem to stress very much the limitations of hair transplants. I would rather not even walk into an office if, in all likelihood, all I am gonna hear is, “I can do 2,000 grafts to thicken your current hair line and crown but that's it.”

Has anyone ever gone to a consultation and actually come out happy with what the doctor said was possible? Or is it one of those take-what-you-can-get type deals? Any thoughts or experiences to share on the subject would be awesome. Also, I realize you get a new guy in here everyday with the same sob story and asking the same questions, so if you don't feel like answering or this has been answered before, no worries. But if you could direct me to the prior post, that would be great! Thanks!

Chase

P.S. - I only found this forum two days ago but every time I come across the post of a teenager with pictures of their full head of hair asking if they are balding, I get a chuckle. Is that mean? LOL
    Welcome Chase,
    Hair transplantation is limited. I have never seen a case of a fully bald person even achieving the "illusion" of full density, because that's impossible. Some people that have amazing donor supply and have maintained their hair in a certain pattern for years have achieved amazing results through hair transplantation. The key is stabilizing your hair loss, being certain the future direction of your hair loss, setting realistic goals, finding a very reputable surgeon and following through. What you are looking to achieve is rejected by most hair transplant surgeons because it is unrealistic. If hair is that important to you, which I know it is, the only thing you can do for now is to start a regiment to stabilize your hair. Finasteride and minox are the current standard for this. best if luck.

Thanks so much for the response! I appreciate your advice. I totally understand that I will never have what I want. And I am fine with that. But what was you experience like? Did you find the consultation a worthwhile experience? Was the doctor able devise a plan that made you somewhat excited about the prospect of HT? Did they promise more than they could deliver? I am really trying to decide if I should even go. I know that I am a person who is easily convinced especially when face to face with someone. So I worry that if I go he or she will be able to convince that I should get that "2,000 grafts to thicken your current hair line and crown" even though it may not make me fully happy. Or will it? See, I don't even know. (-;'

Thanks so much for the response! I appreciate your advice. I totally understand that I will never have what I want. And I am fine with that. But what was you experience like? Did you find the consultation a worthwhile experience? Was the doctor able devise a plan that made you somewhat excited about the prospect of HT? Did they promise more than they could deliver? I am really trying to decide if I should even go. I know that I am a person who is easily convinced especially when face to face with someone. So I worry that if I go he or she will be able to convince that I should get that "2,000 grafts to thicken your current hair line and crown" even though it may not make me fully happy. Or will it? See, I don't even know. (-;'
    haha... you DON'T want to know what my experience was like, because I was one of those horror stories. I didn't know I had MPB and I SHOULD HAVE definitely taken that into consideration. I had one weird thinning area and thought I would "fix it"... 900 grafts and 4 hours later and I have been in and out of horrible depression and anxiety for over two years. You're being A LOT smarter than my stupid compulsive ass and doing your research. My doctor said she would thicken a part of the hair line where I had an unusual thinning. Day off, she rushed in, cut open the back of my head and started poking holes all over the left side of my head. It destroyed all the native hair in those areas over a course of 8 months... literally, just fell out and never regrew. One side of my head has all these transplants sticking out at weird angles and the other side is natural. Worst decision I have EVER made.

GOOD HT surgeons are more concerned about the outcome, rather the few thousand they will immediately make. They have a reputation to uphold and take pride in their work. You need to post some pictures of your hair, showing exactly where it's lost, under good lighting and we can give you a more educated advice and some of the leading members, such as spex and joe tillman can help guide you. ONE THING for sure, if you have NOT stabilized what you have now through medication, then an HT is very very risky. 1) You may lose A LOT of native hair from the trauma of such surgery and without medication, what happened to me, may happen to you - it will not come back or come back thinner and weaker 2) You need to determine how ample your donor supply is and if what operation you're seeking can meet your expectations. Essentially, you do not want to start something you cannot finish.

If Joe Tillman responds to this, it would be nice of him to post a picture that he did on another thread. Basically it's a virtual representation of HOW much area can be covered on the top of the head by using up the donor supply in the back... IF that area on top was DENSLY packed... Basically it's a relatively thin strip that looks like a mohawk, with the rest of the head bald. The point being, there is NOT enough donor on ANY one's head to create a full head of hair on top. Go on google and look up results from surgeons like Koray Erdogon, who is personally one of my favorites and to me, one of the best. Look at before and afters of people with hair similar to yours and look at the outcomes. Do this for a lot of well known, reputable surgeons. That way you can gauge exactly how this works.

Not sure if this is going to work. Didn't realize I couldn't just up load photos. But here are pictures of my current situation. Took these 5 minutes ago.

Edit: Well that didn't work. Still working on it.
    Edit: There we go! (-;'

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

Paying for a consultation isn't going to make the outcome of the consultation any better. Countless reputable doctors offer virtual and in-person consultations at no charge. Don't expect to hear everything you want to hear in a consultation with an expert physician. You really need to have a need-to-know line of communication between you and your prospective clinic. Hair loss is not predictable, but there are signs that become apparent when advanced hair loss is likely to occur. On average, you can have about 7,000 to 7,500 donor grafts/follicular units available on the scalp.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

I'm sorry guys. While I appreciate everyone's advice, perhaps including my background story has blinded everyone from my main reason for this post. I am wondering what people's consultations were like? I have asked a few questions already but a few more could be: How long was your consultation? Who did you consult with? Did they just tell you what they could do with out much input from you? Who did you talk money with, the doctor or someone else?

Again, thank you to everyone who has posted thus far. I will take everything you've said into consideration. (-;'

Inactive

I'm sorry guys. While I appreciate everyone's advice, perhaps including my background story has blinded everyone from my main reason for this post. I am wondering what people's consultations were like? I have asked a few questions already but a few more could be: How long was your consultation? Who did you consult with? Did they just tell you what they could do with out much input from you? Who did you talk money with, the doctor or someone else?

Again, thank you to everyone who has posted thus far. I will take everything you've said into consideration. (-;'
    Hey Chase. Welcome aboard. You're definitely in the right place to get answers.

First of all, even after all those edits, I still can't see your photos....

As for your initial question, the short answer is YES. A consultation is definitely worth it. There's zero harm in setting up an appointment with a reputable doctor and getting their feedback, suggestions, etc.

I had my procedure with Dr. Mohebi (located in LA) almost a year and half ago. My consultation with him was everything I had hoped it would be. It was informative, in depth, and personal. He spent a great deal of time with me walking me through the entire process, from how hair loss works, how we could get a good general idea of where my hair loss was heading, genetics, medication, etc. He also gave me a couple different options as for the ultimate hairline that I would end up with. He drew one, asked for my feedback, drew another one, etc. until we came up with something that he and I were both happy with.

My entire consultation was one on one with Dr. Mohebi. We discussed potential dates, price, everything etc. He was very hands on, which was a huge plus for me. The entire conversation was very give and take and he was extremely patient with me as I asked a ton of questions, never once making me feel like I was annoying him. I find that's hard to come by in the medical field.

I will say that when considering getting a hair transplant, managing your expectations is key. One of the main reasons some guys end up disappointed with their results (aside from choosing a bad surgeon who genuinely gave them bad results) is having unreasonable expectations. This can happen due to the patient being irrational from the get go (and the surgeon not properly managing this), or also by the surgeon not being upfront with the patient about what is actually possible and instead giving them a sales pitch. Having said this, I think going into a consultation with an open mind is key. Feel free to express exactly what your dream head of hair would look like, but also be open to hearing that no matter what you do, you may never achieve that 16 year old boy's hairline you're talking about(nor would you actually want to - believe it or not).

I'd be happy to talk to you more in depth if you're interested. Learning the ins and outs of the hair transplant world can be a daunting task, so let me know if you have further questions about hair transplants in general or my experience specifically.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Yay! Thank you, pkipling, for taking the time to write all that out. I do appreciate it! This gives me a good idea of what to be looking for and, thankfully, another doctor to research! Just to make it clear, I am well aware that I will never have the hairline of that 18 year old of which I spoke. I didn't realize that mentioning my thoughts and feelings throughout my life would be taken as me saying I wanted all that NOW. LOL. As I have said before, I am well aware of the limitations and will keep them in mind if and when I make appointments for consultations.

Also, my pics are on my profile if you would like to see them. I made it a public album so I believe that means they are available to all. But I also thought that the pictures were showing up in that post so that shows how much I know. And maybe it is better that they didn't show up here. Getting opinions on that was not my main concern with this thread. Perhaps I will post them to another thread whose main purpose is just that, helping me get a better idea of what is possible.

And, yes, if you don't mind, I would love a little more info on you and your surgery, for example your age, amount of grafts, time in surgery, type of surgery, before and after pics if you have them and don't mind sharing them and anything else you might find pertinent.
    Thanks again for the awesome response!