Hiding the Truth ! #HairLoss - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Hiding the Truth ! #HairLoss

Concealing the Truth of Your Hair Loss with Products

What’s a young bloke to do when he starts seeing more and more of his scalp where his hair used to be? At a certain age, you can get away with wearing a hat most of the time and that’s what I did. I played around with different styles for my hair, hoping against hope that it wouldn’t reveal the truth, that I was balding before I’d even settled into my twenties! I also shaved my head a couple of times and, I’m a little embarrassed to admit, I even wore a wig for a very short time! Best we move on from that ugly visual; I’m certainly not proud of that one. I tried thickeners, concealers, spray-on fibres and a couple of weird paint-on masking products, all in an effort to make it look like I had more hair. If you’re exploring some of these options, you’re luckier than I was because they’ve come a long way from when I was a desperate youngster trying to preen my pea**** feathers back in the day. Let’s take a look.

Playing with styles and colours

Look, give up on growing your hair long to try and compensate for your thinning scalp. Ponytails are really just another version of the comb-over. I say go for a shorter cut to balance out the appearance of the volume. Or, shave it all off and you might find that bald suits you! It was ridiculous on me but you might rock the look entirely. Before you do anything drastic, take yourself along to a good, experienced hair stylist or barber who can figure out what the best solution would be for you. Oh and by the way, when you find a good barber or stylist, treat them like your long lost brother or sister because they’ll be your best ally as your hair volume changes. If you do end up choosing a hair transplant at some stage, they’ll know exactly how to work with you afterwards. Plus, it’s always good not having to face the dreaded comments from someone new who thinks they’re pointing out something you don’t already know!

As for colour, well the greater the contrast between your hair and skin colour, the more obvious will be your volume of hair. For men with fair skin and dark hair, it may be necessary to focus more on style and cut whereas for those with tanned skin and blonde hair, the balding may not be so noticeable.

Keratin fibres for an instant head of hair

Products such as Nanogen and Toppik are literally coloured organic keratin fibres that you apply to your existing hair and almost instantly, you have a thicker head of hair! They have a similar chemical composition to human hair and they add bulk to the hair shaft by adhering to your scalp and the base of your follicles. Depending on the product, you either sprinkle, paint or spray it on your scalp and the fibres stay put thanks to static electricity. You can also buy fixing sprays for added holding power.

The best tip I can give you regarding these products is to practise first! Don’t wait until the last minute and try to get a good result or you’ll be sorely disappointed. But, when you get it right, it’s pretty damned good. Apply before you get dressed and comb through to make sure the fibres are firmly in place.

Cop a good spray

Yesiree-bob, there is such a thing as spray-on hair! A little different to the abovementioned keratin fibres, the sprays use an aerosol propellant to apply tiny, colour-matched fibres to your real hair. They’re really quick to apply and usually work well. I will say though that the keratin fibres result in a more natural look but if you’re used to leaving things to the last minute, this could be the trick for you. Follow up with a quality hair spray or what’s called a FibreHold spray.

Concealer for your scalp

You’ve probably seen your wife or girlfriend applying concealer before her foundation. Well products like Couvr? are foundations that conceal your hair loss. They’re made up of colours and moisturisers and you use a sponge applicator to dab it onto your scalp where your hair loss is noticeable. It effectively conceals the lighter parts of your scalp, masking your hairline and creating the illusion that your hair isn’t thinning. It’s specifically intended to conceal a thinning area, not to create a new hairline. You might want to use a product like this in conjunction with a fibre thickener for better results. Keep in mind that a concealer – or scalp foundation – is purely a short-term, cosmetic solution, but it could be all you need to keep you smiling, depending on the stage of your hair loss.

Pomades, thickeners and other hair care products

Think Elvis and his slicked-back hair. Well sure, Elvis had an enviable head of hair but he used tons of product, likely waxes and pomades, to keep it in order. These are still around today and what they do is add extra thickness while also making the hair you have appear and feel fuller. Keep in mind that if you double the thickness of each of your hairs, the result can appear to be fourfold in overall bulk! Look around also for thickening shampoos and conditioners and protein hair expanding products. Again, these work best when you still have decent coverage of hair, but it happens to be thin.

Cut a rug

Does the very word ‘toupee’ freak you out? Yeah, I hear ya. The industry calls it a ‘hair system’ which makes it sound very civilised indeed but we all know it as wig, an appliance, a hairpiece or a rug. I actually walked around with one of these on my head for a bit but I look back on it as not such a successful solution, at least for me. Truthfully, there are some terrible toupees out there. You can spot them a mile off but then you have to avert your gaze so you don’t offend the poor soul wearing it. Look, if you really must go the non-surgical hair replacement route, invest in a bloody good one. It’s your appearance, man! Do yourself a favour and get one that looks convincing and doesn’t fly off in a stiff breeze.

Everyone has a secret

No matter how you’re feeling, I can absolutely guarantee that you’re not the only guy dealing with male pattern baldness. As secrets go, it’s pretty benign, to be fair. Be aware that there are ways you can conceal the truth of your hair loss until such time as you either make peace with it or find a more permanent solution. Meanwhile, before you beat yourself up about your concealment techniques, try a walk through a department store to witness all the ways women are able to enhance, conceal, supplement, hide and boost their appearance! It’s all fair in love and hair.

Regards
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Concealing the Truth of Your Hair Loss with Products

What’s a young bloke to do when he starts seeing more and more of his scalp where his hair used to be? At a certain age, you can get away with wearing a hat most of the time and that’s what I did. I played around with different styles for my hair, hoping against hope that it wouldn’t reveal the truth, that I was balding before I’d even settled into my twenties! I also shaved my head a couple of times and, I’m a little embarrassed to admit, I even wore a wig for a very short time! Best we move on from that ugly visual; I’m certainly not proud of that one. I tried thickeners, concealers, spray-on fibres and a couple of weird paint-on masking products, all in an effort to make it look like I had more hair. If you’re exploring some of these options, you’re luckier than I was because they’ve come a long way from when I was a desperate youngster trying to preen my pea**** feathers back in the day. Let’s take a look.

Playing with styles and colours

Look, give up on growing your hair long to try and compensate for your thinning scalp. Ponytails are really just another version of the comb-over. I say go for a shorter cut to balance out the appearance of the volume. Or, shave it all off and you might find that bald suits you! It was ridiculous on me but you might rock the look entirely. Before you do anything drastic, take yourself along to a good, experienced hair stylist or barber who can figure out what the best solution would be for you. Oh and by the way, when you find a good barber or stylist, treat them like your long lost brother or sister because they’ll be your best ally as your hair volume changes. If you do end up choosing a hair transplant at some stage, they’ll know exactly how to work with you afterwards. Plus, it’s always good not having to face the dreaded comments from someone new who thinks they’re pointing out something you don’t already know!

As for colour, well the greater the contrast between your hair and skin colour, the more obvious will be your volume of hair. For men with fair skin and dark hair, it may be necessary to focus more on style and cut whereas for those with tanned skin and blonde hair, the balding may not be so noticeable.

Keratin fibres for an instant head of hair

Products such as Nanogen and Toppik are literally coloured organic keratin fibres that you apply to your existing hair and almost instantly, you have a thicker head of hair! They have a similar chemical composition to human hair and they add bulk to the hair shaft by adhering to your scalp and the base of your follicles. Depending on the product, you either sprinkle, paint or spray it on your scalp and the fibres stay put thanks to static electricity. You can also buy fixing sprays for added holding power.

The best tip I can give you regarding these products is to practise first! Don’t wait until the last minute and try to get a good result or you’ll be sorely disappointed. But, when you get it right, it’s pretty damned good. Apply before you get dressed and comb through to make sure the fibres are firmly in place.

Cop a good spray

Yesiree-bob, there is such a thing as spray-on hair! A little different to the abovementioned keratin fibres, the sprays use an aerosol propellant to apply tiny, colour-matched fibres to your real hair. They’re really quick to apply and usually work well. I will say though that the keratin fibres result in a more natural look but if you’re used to leaving things to the last minute, this could be the trick for you. Follow up with a quality hair spray or what’s called a FibreHold spray.

Concealer for your scalp

You’ve probably seen your wife or girlfriend applying concealer before her foundation. Well products like Couvr? are foundations that conceal your hair loss. They’re made up of colours and moisturisers and you use a sponge applicator to dab it onto your scalp where your hair loss is noticeable. It effectively conceals the lighter parts of your scalp, masking your hairline and creating the illusion that your hair isn’t thinning. It’s specifically intended to conceal a thinning area, not to create a new hairline. You might want to use a product like this in conjunction with a fibre thickener for better results. Keep in mind that a concealer – or scalp foundation – is purely a short-term, cosmetic solution, but it could be all you need to keep you smiling, depending on the stage of your hair loss.

Pomades, thickeners and other hair care products

Think Elvis and his slicked-back hair. Well sure, Elvis had an enviable head of hair but he used tons of product, likely waxes and pomades, to keep it in order. These are still around today and what they do is add extra thickness while also making the hair you have appear and feel fuller. Keep in mind that if you double the thickness of each of your hairs, the result can appear to be fourfold in overall bulk! Look around also for thickening shampoos and conditioners and protein hair expanding products. Again, these work best when you still have decent coverage of hair, but it happens to be thin.

Cut a rug

Does the very word ‘toupee’ freak you out? Yeah, I hear ya. The industry calls it a ‘hair system’ which makes it sound very civilised indeed but we all know it as wig, an appliance, a hairpiece or a rug. I actually walked around with one of these on my head for a bit but I look back on it as not such a successful solution, at least for me. Truthfully, there are some terrible toupees out there. You can spot them a mile off but then you have to avert your gaze so you don’t offend the poor soul wearing it. Look, if you really must go the non-surgical hair replacement route, invest in a bloody good one. It’s your appearance, man! Do yourself a favour and get one that looks convincing and doesn’t fly off in a stiff breeze.

Everyone has a secret

No matter how you’re feeling, I can absolutely guarantee that you’re not the only guy dealing with male pattern baldness. As secrets go, it’s pretty benign, to be fair. Be aware that there are ways you can conceal the truth of your hair loss until such time as you either make peace with it or find a more permanent solution. Meanwhile, before you beat yourself up about your concealment techniques, try a walk through a department store to witness all the ways women are able to enhance, conceal, supplement, hide and boost their appearance! It’s all fair in love and hair.

Regards
    Spex
    Keratin fibres? Spray on hair? What happens when it rains? What happens when you go camping? What happens when you go swimming? What happens when you put on and take off a helmet? And that spray stuff will stick to everything in your bathroom even if you're extremely careful. Spencer Kobren once related that when he first used keratin fibers, it left an embarrassing residue stain on the headrest of a dental chair. Not to mention, that you run the risk of looking like you dye your hair if you use such stuff, and dyed hair on a man can look like he's wearing a bad toupee. Decades ago, I once saw a guy on the street who must have used shoe polish as a concealer. My guess is he first started using it when his hair thinned, but then kept using it even though he eventually went bald except for a few wispy hairs. Needless to say, the poor man looked like a complete fool.

No one said concelears are perfect BUT when used in the right way in the right environment they can be life changing.

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    Decades ago, I once saw a guy on the street who must have used shoe polish as a concealer. My guess is he first started using it when his hair thinned, but then kept using it even though he eventually went bald except for a few wispy hairs. Needless to say, the poor man looked like a complete fool.
    In the movie 'Chopper', there's a chap in prison using boot polish as a concealer, the movie is based on real life, but I don't know if that was poetic licence. I do wonder if prisoners are allowed to take propecia and such, because it's a cosmetic drug, after all.

I used to see a chap regularly who lived near me, he was only a young guy, but he had a really bad toupee - it looked ok from the front, but from the back it was completely obvious, it looked like a hairy hat, I don't know how it worked but it looked as if it was permanently glued to his head somehow. I was never sure whether it would have been a kindness of me to tell him or not.

Thanks for the input.