+ Reply to Thread

film FUE Hair Transplants – The Consumer Has Spoken, and Medicine Is Finally Listening

Spencer Kobren Speaks with IAHRS accepted, Los Angles hair transplant surgeon, Marc Dauer, M.D. about the evolution of follicular unit extraction, and how this less invasive hair transplant technique currently compares to traditional strip surgery. […]

More...
    Last edited by Winston; 12-07-2014 at 12:37 PM.

With all due respect, most consumers are not looking for some derivative of simply moving hair from one place to another, and still with scarring. They are looking for a cellular, minimally invasive method of hair regrowth. That is why although hair loss does bother most men, less than 5% seek any type of hair transplant, FUE or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    With all due respect, most consumers are not looking for some derivative of simply moving hair from one place to another, and still with scarring. They are looking for a cellular, minimally invasive method of hair regrowth. That is why although hair loss does bother most men, less than 5% seek any type of hair transplant, FUE or otherwise.
    That may be what people are dreaming about on the forums, but in the real world the average person looking to improve their hair loss situation is interested in the options they have available to them today. It’s good that more doctors are moving in the FUE direction. There are thousands of people having hair transplants everyday, why not make them better? Hair transplants are going to be around for a long time, I'm sure if they ever become completely scarless doctors we'll be hearing about it and doctors will eventually offer that option.

Most people have no idea what it means to have a cellular, minimally invasive method of hair regrowth. If you say that to anyone on the street their eyes will simply glaze over before they say, "Oh you mean cloning, yeah when is that available?"

Agreed with JB.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    Most people have no idea what it means to have a cellular, minimally invasive method of hair regrowth. If you say that to anyone on the street their eyes will simply glaze over before they say, "Oh you mean cloning, yeah when is that available?"

Agreed with JB.
    This is reality! Too many people on these forums, are living in this bizarre alternate universe where they really believe these treatments are just around the corner and that science is holding it back because they don’t care about us poor balding guys or they don’t have the funding. It’s ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by J_B_Davis View Post
    That may be what people are dreaming about on the forums, but in the real world the average person looking to improve their hair loss situation is interested in the options they have available to them today. It’s good that more doctors are moving in the FUE direction. There are thousands of people having hair transplants everyday, why not make them better? Hair transplants are going to be around for a long time, I'm sure if they ever become completely scarless doctors we'll be hearing about it and doctors will eventually offer that option.
    I disagree. Statistically, only about 5% of hair loss sufferers opt for today's limited treatments and a much smaller fraction of those opt for hair transplants. The average person, or hair loss sufferer, is in fact bothered by their hair loss yet despite the degree to which they are affected by their hair loss, they are dissatisfied with today's limited options and do not seek treatment. If more than 95% of all hair loss sufferers are not interested in a hair transplant, then it does not make sense to keep on solely focusing on a derivative of that same unpopular option.

Joe, I agree that many people today are misinformed when it comes to cellular therapy but I believe that just because in general, most people are uneducated about hair loss. About a month ago, an educated accountant at my gym insisted to me that a hair transplant is non-surgical. I also believe that many professionals in the hair restoration industry (not yourself, but others) too often automatically conflate cellular hair regrowth with hair cloning when there are several other potential cellular avenues that involve resurrecting hair without the complicated process of cloning.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I disagree. Statistically, only about 5% of hair loss sufferers opt for today's limited treatments and a much smaller fraction of those opt for hair transplants. The average person, or hair loss sufferer, is in fact bothered by their hair loss yet despite the degree to which they are affected by their hair loss, they are dissatisfied with today's limited options and do not seek treatment. If more than 95% of all hair loss sufferers are not interested in a hair transplant, then it does not make sense to keep on solely focusing on a derivative of that same unpopular option.

Joe, I agree that many people today are misinformed when it comes to cellular therapy but I believe that just because in general, most people are uneducated about hair loss. About a month ago, an educated accountant at my gym insisted to me that a hair transplant is non-surgical. I also believe that many professionals in the hair restoration industry (not yourself, but others) too often automatically conflate cellular hair regrowth with hair cloning when there are several other potential cellular avenues that involve resurrecting hair without the complicated process of cloning.
    At this point, mainstream society still believes that hair transplants are “plugs" and that hair systems are “toupees.” The media helps to perpetuate this myth and the hair loss industry can not seem to shake the stigma of plugs. That is the main reason more people do not opt for hair transplants. If the stigma could be lifted many more people would consider surgery or other current options.

but I believe that just because in general, most people are uneducated about hair loss.
    That was my point, most people are not educated about hair loss and as JB said, when it comes to surgery, the average person that hasn't performed any research thinks "plugs". I've seen this day in and day out for over a decade. You hear the word all the time. "Plugs" on the nightly news when someone is talking about a new technique as a fluff piece before the sports segment or in a movie or TV show.

You are correct that too many "professionals" in this industry label a lot of things as cloning. It sometimes is the same reason why the accountant you mentioned was insisting that HT surgery was not surgery. He went to an FUE consultation with a no-name clinic and he was told this by the consultant or even the doctor. They probably were using the vacuum cleaner automated device too because their magazine ads say the same thing.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

JB, I agree that a portion of mainstream society still believes in the myth that hair transplants are still dominated by "plugs" and "doll-like hair". However since there are many good resources out there (like the American Hair Loss Association website), most hair loss sufferers who take the time to research the subject become educated on the options available today. Consequently, I believe that most hair loss sufferers do not opt for today’s treatments not based on misinformation, but based on the limitations, drawbacks, and potential complications of these treatments. Whether FUT or FUE, hair transplants involve permanent scarring of the head. Although this scarring is a huge deal to many people, I believe that more people would overlook this issue if HT’s could actually generate something close to a full head of hair. But they cannot even come close to doing so, which is another drawback. Also, HT’s cost much more than most, if not all, cosmetic procedures, and many people cannot justify paying $15,000 or so on a procedure that leaves permanent scarring and cannot generate even close to a full head of hair. I remember one IAHRS-approved surgeon even candidly admitting that the vast majority of hair loss sufferers do not opt for hair transplantation. Hair loss sufferers are literally begging for better options, which unfortunately are not being pursued for the most part.

Joe, the accountant that I was interacting with was an acquaintance from the gym, a guy who actually has close to a full head of hair and as far as I know, he has not been to any HT clinic. We are both rock n roll fans and we were discussing popular musicians who wear obvious wigs. He questioned why these musicians don’t just opt for hair transplantation instead of wearing what he perceived to be obvious and outlandish wigs. He went on to explain how easy he thought the procedure was, moving hair from the back to the front, without surgery. I think his misconceptions were based on the fact that since he didn’t really suffer from hair loss, he never had any need to adequately research the subject.