+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Best time of day to take finasteride?

Hey. Im 25 and currently consider myself to be a NW2. After discovering and reading Spencer Kobren's book I started taking finasteride (generic 5mg cut into 1.25mg) daily. Any advice about the best time of day to take it would be much appreciated.

At the moment I take it in the morning at approx 8am. Would it be more beneficial to take it before going to bed? Are testosterone levels higher in the body during sleep?

Also, what do you think about Alpecin (caffeine shampoo) and it's claim of reducing hair loss? Does anybody use it? Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Test is actually high in the morning when the body is waking.

I think there are plenty of folks who say it doesn't matter.

it stays in ur system for ~24 hours so it doesnt matter what time you take it, as long as u take it at same time each day.

I've done a bit of reading up on it, and the general consensus seems to be it works better in the morning. Whether this is medically accurate remains to be seen though. I've been taking it whenever I get around to it, and it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

it stays in ur system for ~24 hours so it doesnt matter what time you take it, as long as u take it at same time each day.

Many thanks for the info. I have been taking finasteride for approx 2 weeks so much too early to see any effect although I have noticed less of a fall out in the shower and on my pillow in the morning.

Any feedback on the Alpecin caffeine shampoo? Do you take any other shampoos to combat hair loss? Thanks again

My prescription says to take finasteride on an empty stomach, so I take it in the morning well before breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by andyd877 View Post
    Any feedback on the Alpecin caffeine shampoo? Do you take any other shampoos to combat hair loss? Thanks again
    I've never used Alpecin, but I don't think there's any evidence that it fights genetic hair loss.
    I use 2% ketoconazole shampoo 1-2 times per week. The rest of the time I just wash my hair with the same glycerin soap I use for my body.

Im curious to know if anyone has had regrowth from propecia? Ive been on it for 11 months and my hair loss as slowed down like less shedding but other than that no other growth or thickness...Does it take more than a year to get some thickness ?

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    My prescription says to take finasteride on an empty stomach, so I take it in the morning well before breakfast.

I use 2% ketoconazole shampoo 1-2 times per week.
    The instructions with my prescription says to take with or without food at the same time everyday. Does the 2% ketoconazole have other uses besides dandruff reduction?

John2399, with regard to finasteride I agree with those that say it's effectiveness varies with different people. My prescription says that finasteride tablets work best when taken long term.

The pharmacist did tell me that if finasteride upset my stomach, I could take it with food, but I'm not sure if that changes the effectiveness so I just like to stay on the safe side.

Ketoconazole is a weak anti-androgen that may help reduce the amount of DHT that binds to your follicles. It's not a "main weapon" against male-pattern hair loss by any means, but it promotes general scalp health (if not overused) and I consider it a good supporting treatment for those who take finasteride or dutasteride. If there's any shampoo that can aid your treatment regimen, this is the one, at least from what we know so far.
    Like I said though, it shouldn't be overused, since that can cause irritation and even shedding. Even twice a week could be pushing it (though I sometimes use it that often - at my own risk of course).