+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Hey ar50

Get on SOME form of DHT blocker if you can. For diffuse thinners I think they respond best to treatments. Propecia is probably the most potent but you have to decide if you want to go for it. An alternative is saw palmetto tablets which you can purchase at any pharmacy.

Rogaine extra strength is a good growth stimulant and I think works best on diffuse thinners BUT you may shed hair first which is always a concern.

As clandestine says, DON'T take the opinions of people (including me :-)) too seriously here when it comes to treatments like Replicel, Histogen, Aderans, Follica as we are all speculating and none of us have insider information. They are some way off though so I would advise to monitor them but do not obsess over when they will come to fruition.

One other thing, have you tried a concealer such as caboki or toppik? For people with thin hair it can work wonders in hiding hair loss (completely hid my recession for a good while a few years back). They are very cheap and easy and convenient to apply, and they can be undetectable.

Cheers mate and good luck!

go to www.twinshairloss.com

I can point you to numerous studies that show the incidence of side effects is pretty low, plus you can read the 10 year study that shows that finasteride is effective for a long time, and not 5 years as the idiot broscientists say.

These medications are great when you already have a lot of hair, and if you have the typical response, you may not need any of these "Cutting edge" treatments.

suggestion: try starting out with lower doses and slowly increase it to as much as you can tolerate it. I went straight to once a day last year, had temporary side effects, saw how much worse my hair got so got back on it not too long afterwards and have been taking it every other day - so far no side effects and seems to be working as I see the early induced shed - at some point I'll increase to as much as my body can take

Quote Originally Posted by garethbale View Post
    Hey ar50

Get on SOME form of DHT blocker if you can. For diffuse thinners I think they respond best to treatments. Propecia is probably the most potent but you have to decide if you want to go for it. An alternative is saw palmetto tablets which you can purchase at any pharmacy.

Rogaine extra strength is a good growth stimulant and I think works best on diffuse thinners BUT you may shed hair first which is always a concern.

As clandestine says, DON'T take the opinions of people (including me :-)) too seriously here when it comes to treatments like Replicel, Histogen, Aderans, Follica as we are all speculating and none of us have insider information. They are some way off though so I would advise to monitor them but do not obsess over when they will come to fruition.

One other thing, have you tried a concealer such as caboki or toppik? For people with thin hair it can work wonders in hiding hair loss (completely hid my recession for a good while a few years back). They are very cheap and easy and convenient to apply, and they can be undetectable.

Cheers mate and good luck!

Hey garethbale,

thanks for the info. I heard about saw palmetto I should do more research about it. I dont know if you saw my hairline at my previous post but i would like to have your opinion about it.

Yeaah man i understand i should actually be patient but i have suffered from depression since my hair loss became visible. I dont take pictures of my self and I dont have the courage to approach females. And when I read this forum it makes me happy for a few hours each day. I dont feel sad and I really like that feeling..

Hey Thinning87

thank you for the info. I am reading a lot about the pro's and con's. In holland we have a famous doctor called Boersma who prescribed this to a lot of people, also women. It turned out that few of them became infertile. I also read a lot about people who say that the side effects are temporary. But the fear keeps me from using it. You know if the side effect was that i would lose weight, gain weight, feel dizzy of have a headache, I would do it. But my penis pretty important to me hehe. I respect your opinion brother and thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by ar50 View Post
    Hey Thinning87

thank you for the info. I am reading a lot about the pro's and con's. In holland we have a famous doctor called Boersma who prescribed this to a lot of people, also women. It turned out that few of them became infertile. I also read a lot about people who say that the side effects are temporary. But the fear keeps me from using it. You know if the side effect was that i would lose weight, gain weight, feel dizzy of have a headache, I would do it. But my penis pretty important to me hehe. I respect your opinion brother and thanks for the help.
    Im sorry this was meant for KO1

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning87 View Post
    suggestion: try starting out with lower doses and slowly increase it to as much as you can tolerate it. I went straight to once a day last year, had temporary side effects, saw how much worse my hair got so got back on it not too long afterwards and have been taking it every other day - so far no side effects and seems to be working as I see the early induced shed - at some point I'll increase to as much as my body can take
    So how bad were these side effects? and how do you get lower doses? do you buy them at the pharmacy of you cut it yourself?

Hey garethbale,

thanks for the info. I heard about saw palmetto I should do more research about it. I dont know if you saw my hairline at my previous post but i would like to have your opinion about it.

Yeaah man i understand i should actually be patient but i have suffered from depression since my hair loss became visible. I dont take pictures of my self and I dont have the courage to approach females. And when I read this forum it makes me happy for a few hours each day. I dont feel sad and I really like that feeling..
    Yeah I saw your picture, obviously you have noticeable thinning but I do not think you have left it too late to address it. You certainly have hair to 'work with' in terms of stabilisation and possible regrowth, and your hairline is still intact. In terms of analysing norwood levels, I really am not a great judge with diffuse thinners. I am a receder myself and have no diffuse thinning. Fortunately my hair loss has been slow.

A DHT blocker, growth stimulant and nizoral (a shampoo which a lot of hair loss sufferers use) might be a good option. Make sure that if you do start a regimen that you are consisent with it and patient as well.

In terms of new treatments, it is important to realise that there is a good chance that if and when they are released, they may work better on people with hair to begin with. It's only my opinion, but I think it is of real importance to try to keep what you have now.

Try not to get too depressed by it either. It won't help you and it can make hair loss worse. I realise this is a difficult thing to deal with but obsessing over it won't help.

So how bad were these side effects? and how do you get lower doses? do you buy them at the pharmacy of you cut it yourself?
    two main side effects:

1) Decrease in libido, less sexual drive, erections not as strong but still very much ok, watery semen, decrease in physical performance in sports.

2) Numbness and mental fog.

However, I got back on it because I had a stressful and very irregular lifestyle (unemployed while partying too much and bad living arrangement) and think that must have influenced all that to some extent and maybe now that everything is ok (way less partying and drinking, less computer, more frequent sport activities, more reading, etc.) my body might take it more easily.

I have been on it every other day (instead of every day, so no cutting or anything of the sort) for almost two months now, therefore it might be like comparing apples and oranges, and I did notice some kind of hormonal change as I get extremely horny at random times (strangely it has had the opposite of the side effect in these last two months) and I do notice some abnormal shedding which indicates that it is in fact working.

No sexual side effects whatsoever now, not even the small things no one cares like watery semen.

I am going to wait some time and then start taking it once a day, or at least 4-5 times a week. I want to see if I can go back to once a day while keeping a much healthier lifestyle with more sleep and more importantly sleeping on the same schedule constatnly (thus waking up early every day) - I swim almost every morning before work (20 laps) and feel amazing, and sleep amazing. It all helps.

Hey garethbale,

thanks for the info. I heard about saw palmetto I should do more research about it.
    Saw Palmetto DOES NOT work for treating androgenic hair loss in men. There is NO scientific evidence ANYWHERE that it works, unlike finasteride, which has studies upon studies in its favour. And besides, saw palmetto is a herbal supplement, not a regulated medication. Any and all 'natural' or 'herbal' food supplements are unregulated snake oil.