+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

To not acknowledge the fact that traveling to Turkey involves a higher than average degree of danger is naive.

The US State Dept has issued a Level 3 advisory for the entire country with border areas near Syria and Iraq at Level 4.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Canada has a travel advisory warning against unnecessary travel to Turkey.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/turkey

Ireland warns against travel to Turkey...

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-adv...ntries/turkey/

"The threat of terrorism in Turkey remains high."

"Our general advice to Irish citizens in Turkey or those who intend to travel to Turkey is to exercise a high degree of caution at all times. You should avoid all protests and demonstrations and minimise time spent in crowded areas, particularly those frequented by foreigners, follow local security advice, and monitor local media. You should also devise and/or review a personal security plan."

The evidence goes on, but you get the point. It's great that you felt safe, but I'm sure you didn't venture off of the beaten (tourist) path, either. Most clinics put their foreign patients up in safe hotels, they send them into safe areas for touristy things to do, and that's great but the reality is that there is a risk that every foreigner takes when they visit Turkey. I've been twice, and even my host and friend told me to have fun, but to not be stupid.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

When I was at a conference in Malaysia in 2014 there was a bombing about 2 miles away from me at the time. These things are not isolated to Turkey nor any part of the world. I've trained surgeons all over the world including the first hair transplant surgeons in Mongolia. Where ever there are eager minds and skilled hands, I will usually travel. I've scratched off Turkey only because I need tools to train surgeons. If I go somewhere and bring in 50 doctors from around the globe, but don't have the tools to train them, there is no reason for me to be there and no reason for me to encourage 50 doctors to meet me there.

Now we have arranged a university training program in Patras, Greece where physicians can get a diploma in hair transplant surgery. This is another reason we chose Athens. The training program at the University of Patras Department of Dermatology is the first of it's kind in the world.

I know, Joe. My patients in the secret service told me to be careful there and gave me specific hotels to stay in. They also advised me not to go there. I had a compelling reason to go to Turkey to help train doctors. But when customs began interfering with my entry I had no option other than to cease going there. It's ok for nurses to do surgery in Turkey but forget about a doctor trying to train doctors in the art of hair restoration. It's really a shame because Turkey is a wonderful country with some of the most hospitable people.

There are other countries with different risks. For example, Venezuela. In the 1990s it was a fabulous place to go for fishing. then it began to change. When I was last there around 2010 to 2012 it was very dangerous. An armed guard picked me up at the airport and drove me to a walled compound with ocean access. We had bulletproof windows in the car. I never left the compound other than to go fishing. I stopped going because I was worried the locals might come over the walls. They told me of a European tourist who disregarded the advice. He left his friends while they waited on their bags. He grabbed a taxi. They found him the next day naked in the mountains. They took everything he had and cleaned out his ATM card. He was lucky to be left alive. But US cities are dangerous too. I had a friend who was walking with his wife on the main street. A van stopped and a man with a pistol got out. He put a gun in their face and grabbed her purse. It turns out his wife was even more dangerous. One night he came home and the house was empty except for a plate and silverware on the center of the living room floor with a note that said, "make your own dinner".

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    Buddy, you are out of touch with reality. You have no idea who I am nor what I stand for nor why I stand for it. FUE was non-existent in 2003. I figured it out. I taught it to the rest of the world in one form or another. I travel the world in an effort to promote this procedure. Without my efforts FUE would not be where it is today, the most popular procedure in the world. It is a mistake for you to lecture me.
    Your arrogance precedes you, Doctor. Keep up with your scare tactics. Can you show me one case where a patient has traveled from the UK, US, Australia, etc to Istanbul for a hair transplant and ran into any close that resembles a life threatening scenario?

Tillman- The Canada travel alert for Turkey is primarily for provinces near the Syria border which is the completely other side of the country. We are discussing the safety of foreigners traveling to Istanbul for hair transplants as Dr. Cole keeps implying people may die if they travel there for one which is ridiculous.

Head,

Well of course it is more dangerous near the borders. I think that is painfully obvious but if you wish to zero in on Istanbul in the eyes of the Canadian government, then here is more from the same link...

There is a threat of terrorism from domestic and international terrorist groups in Turkey. Many attacks have occurred throughout the country. Although most have occurred in the south and east, some also took place in major cities, including Ankara, Bursa, Istanbul and Izmir. Attacks have targeted:

Turkish military and government facilities
    tourist attractions and popular public places
    night life
    public transportation
    airports
    Further attacks are expected to occur and terrorist groups have indicated that they will specifically target foreigners and tourists.

Terrorists may also target:

crowded places
    places with high pedestrian traffic and where foreigners may gather
    commercial establishments
    local government offices
    public transit stations
    busy streets
    long queues at tourist attractions
    places of worship
    Increased security measures are in place throughout the country. Authorities have prevented several attacks. Turkish security officials may set up roadblocks or close streets when they receive reports on specific threats.

Be aware of your surroundings at all times in public places
    Avoid large crowds
    Follow the instructions of local authorities at all times.
    Note that you didn't mention the US and Irish examples I provided because they do reference Istanbul.

Can we say any HT patients were killed? No, but we can't they there has not been any HT patients killed, either, as the press typically doesn't report on why foreigners or tourists were specifically anywhere where news is being reported. But I'll give you this, in 2016...

7 June, Istanbul: Car bomb kills seven police officers and four civilians. Claimed by Kurdish militant group TAK

19 March, Istanbul: Suicide bomb kills four people in shopping street. IS blamed

13 March, Ankara: Car bomb kills 35. Claimed by TAK

17 February, Ankara: 29 killed in attack on military buses. Claimed by TAK

12 January, Istanbul: 12 Germans killed by Syrian bomber in tourist area

23 December, Istanbul: Bomb kills cleaner at Istanbul's Sabiha Gokcen airport. Claimed by TAK

10 October, Ankara: More than 100 killed at peace rally outside railway station. Blamed on IS

Canadians, Russians and Indians were killed in a nightclub attack in Istanbul;
    https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/02/new...terror-attack/

Maybe Dr. Cole embellished more than he should have, but the point is, and you seem smart so you should realize this, is that Turkey has a specific problem regarding terror and violence targeted toward tourists, as mentioned in the multiple governmental warnings. We can trade comments and stats back and forth but it is difficult for me to believe that any rational thinking person would dismiss the reality of the world such as you have.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Doctor Representative Raphael84hair's Avatar

@xadiohead

It feels that you will continue to fight this to the death, which is your prerogative.

But it seems that you yourself have questioned you very own choice of Turkish surgeons morality/ethicality.

Quoting you on a post from another forum -

“Did ASMED do PRP on you? It was supposed to be in my package but I don't remember them doing it or discussing it. Not saying they didn't, I just don't remember.” 

And whilst on the subject of transparency, I could be wrong but I don’t remember you mentioning that you had undergone surgery in Istanbul.

Travel and choice of surgeon is ultimately a personal choice for every individual. Their decision is motivated by many factors. Unfortunately but understandably many patients are eventually motivated mainly by price. Professionals in the field such as Dr Cole are attempting to protect individuals that are suffering and generally insecure from hair loss from being taken advantage of by Doctors and clinics that are frankly unworthy of even being considered. Some will take advantage of this invaluable resource and opinion, and some will know better or simply ignore it.

The choice is ultimately down to the individual.

“International Patient Advisor - Bisanga Cole Hair Transplant Clinic - Athens, Greece
    http://www.bchairtransplant.com
    bc2@bchairtransplant.com Whatsapp - +34 642 37 03 83

Hello Doctor, I was searching feedback / reviews for you on Hair Restoration Network forum like I would normally do for any other doctor but I was asked not to post anything about Dr. Cole due to some legal issue. Could you please tell us what is going on between you and HRN forum?

Thanks

Dr John Cole is one of the hall of famers. You are in excellent ethical caring hands. Ive spoken to countless patients of his over the last 20 years and all speak incredibly high of him and their surgeries.

Regards
    Spex
    https://spexhair.com
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

It's not me. It's Pat Hennessey. Years ago he lowered his standards and began promoting surgeons with a history of problems that I had to correct. I asked to be taken off his "recommended" list. In this industry, there are those that are after a quick buck by doing things that are not in the best interest of patients as a whole. I've forgotten about all of it, but Pat and his helper still hold a grudge for reasons that are incomprehensible. To this day, they will not allow any of my patients to post their results on their site. They also protect a doctor that they recommend by covering up the damage and even go so far as to blame the patient for the bad results. This is what happens when money gets in the way of morality. Personally, I'd prefer to put the differences of opinion in the past. It's not in my hands though. Onward and upward. If you really want to find the top surgeons look to the IAHRS.